So, when is the press conference?

Interestingly, Adams just wrote for the News Sentinel that it was one of the very best introductory press conferences he has ever heard. He raved about her and how he realizes now why she was hired. He either secretly likes being put in his place, is setting her up for the fall, or didn't want to show his true reactions to being one upped by her.
He wrote that because he's scared of losing some access to a LV coach. In other words, job well done CKC! Just my take.

I realize I'm in the minority in saying this, but I didn't perceive that exchange as being overly chippy. She was definitely direct and confident in her answer, but I didn't think she was so much so that it should have made him feel any kind of way.

She had a fine answer. Maybe Adams actually appreciated her confidence,
I thought that as well but then I went back and watched her body language. Her body and face changes to a "OK I am ready for you mister" as soon as he is announced. I think she was warned and UT had him intentionally go last. Just my two cents.

I realize I'm in the minority in saying this, but I didn't perceive that exchange as being overly chippy. She was definitely direct and confident in her answer, but I didn't think she was so much so that it should have made him feel any kind of way.

Idk I thought her whole body language shifted.

No it was just awkward - transition to Q&A where she walked away then had to walk back - should have been something that indicated questions could start. And the abrupt ending - most are like last question or something.
Id agree, it wasnt a smooth introductory press conference but…Harpers was great and…..

Adams' question, for the record, was "Do you think your style of play can translate to the higher level, or do you think you'll need to modify it a little bit?"

CKC replied, "I wouldn't be here if I didn't think I could do it here."

1) An introductory press conference is not the place for a deep discussion of Xs and Os.
2) Adams knows that, and I think his question was proper and asked in order to inform fans' expectations.
3) Her answer was neither brusque nor dismissive. Adams and fans were informed by her answer.
What else would there be for her to add?

Now, if she had said yes, then there would be cause for her to elaborate.

Reading a bit into her response there, and what DW said about talking to lots of coaches about where the women's game was headed... I think the style of play she coaches was not an accommodation to the lack of ability to attract better players to Glenville or Marshall. I think this is a philosophy of girl's basketball that she's committed to, designed to deal with the game as it is today.

The allusions to Heupel's offense were not, I believe, superficial.

Adams' question, for the record, was "Do you think your style of play can translate to the higher level, or do you think you'll need to modify it a little bit?"

CKC replied, "I wouldn't be here if I didn't think I could do it here."

1) An introductory press conference is not the place for a deep discussion of Xs and Os.
2) Adams knows that, and I think his question was proper and asked in order to inform fans' expectations.
3) Her answer was neither brusque nor dismissive. Adams and fans were informed by her answer.
What else would there be for her to add?

Now, if she had said yes, then there would be cause for her to elaborate.

Reading a bit into her response there, and what DW said about talking to lots of coaches about where the women's game was headed... I think the style of play she coaches was not an accommodation to the lack of ability to attract better players to Glenville or Marshall. I think this is a philosophy of girl's basketball that she's committed to, designed to deal with the game as it is today.

The allusions to Heupel's offense were not, I believe, superficial.
There was a some “steeliness” in her response not shown toward other questions. I think she definitely took that question as a subtle challenge to her credentials and capabilities for this level of program (i.e., can you do it a higher level?). There was no follow-up because I don’t think Adam’s was prepared for that kind of “you wanna take this outside?” response.

There was a some “steeliness” in her response not shown toward other questions. I think she definitely took that question as a subtle challenge to her credentials and capabilities for this level of program (i.e., can you do it a higher level?). There was no follow-up because I don’t think Adam’s was prepared for that kind of “you wanna take this outside?” response.
As a young woman her age, sometimes you have to assert yourself with more senior folks or you establish an undesirable, patronizing dynamic. While I didn’t like the answer, I did like what she conveyed.

DW is too big for his……..jacket.
Could not unsee it. Too much pizza during the "search"? Was afraid that button was about to turn into a missile.
Can just visualize what posters will say about the continual subbing, hope it works.
And to think, Kellie was excoriated for this, said she was subbing too much and too often on a preplanned sched. No rythmn, took out hot players, played too many. Suddenly, it's a desired "style".

Seriously, I believe this will be her biggest recruiting challenge. Players want to play. And honestly, there are stats to think about too. We learned the hard way this year how big a part stats and wins play in major rewards.
Well CKC put John Adams in his place real quick. I'm all in.😎😎😎😎
Not getting the outrage. Perfectly legit question, in fact I wish it had been elaborated on more. And her answer was fine. No biggie. This is the SEC, the big stage, there will be direct questions. Cora could have/would have asked the same. No need to infantilize the new coach, she'll do fine w questions.
Well Danny sure didn’t help her any by saying in the introduction press conference that Kellie Harper was good but not great and that the expectation is great… AND that he and players wanted to win next year. In trying to hype her up, he inadvertently set the bar incredibly high (quickly).
Sure did. IMO bar unrealistically high. This woman is under an enormous amount of pressure and he didn't help. I expected him to ask for patience. She will need that.
While I liked Kim’s response to John Adam’s questions, I DO wonder how that style will work in the SEC.

What happens when teams repeatedly break the press? How will CKC adjust? What happens when opponents slow down the run-and-gun style and turn into a half court game? I’m also interested to see how the hockey style subs work. Will she put the right combination of players out there? So many questions.

I said it the other day — how a coach executes in the half court (to me) is a better indicator of whether they’re good with Xs and Os or not.
Great points. I think she actually ends up modifying, both bc she won't have the horses for this at first and bc the level of play in the SEC will demand it. She'll always favor up tempo and pressing, which is fine, but will also have to be able to play other ways. Both she and White seem enamored of this "style" but they actual system needs to be much more. And will, I'm sure. Reality will dictate that.
Hey man, I'm right there with you in terms of being a bit shocked by the outcome. At this point, I'm at a place where I like the energy she's bringing, and I'm certain she understands she's got a lot to prove. This isn't a place where anything resembling mediocrity will be tolerated.

And though it won't put his job in danger by any means, I think Danny will absolutely have to eat this—and in a very public way—if things go sideways. I really can't imagine him taking a bigger risk. I'm trying not to be a doom and gloom guy, because I don't think the program will be lost at sea forever if Kim doesn't work out, but certainly Danny cannot go this route again if he ends up with egg on his face. I wish we knew if it was because a lot of people said no or just because he wanted to be bold.
Agree, the guy loves looking like the smartest guy in the room by taking big risks, obviously. But this is the biggest of risks by far and he owns it. Even doubled down by calling for immediate results in the presser today.

As to why he did it, I think both things are true. Seems clear now he wanted the Harpers gone. Had no doubt put out preliminary feelers and probably knew there wasn't much if any interest amongest the top tier (which is shocking and saddening to me). In typical DW fashion, instead of going the safe route, up and comer from P5 or a very successful mid major, he decided to go scortched earth with his riskiest hire yet. He seems to love the thrill of the risk.

We'll never know, but I'd love to, if he actually interviewed anyone else
Frankly, I wouldn't be surprised to learn that most coaches, especially those with success that brings them both fiscal and job security, would look at a place where making the NCAA tournament every year and reaching at least the second round or even the Sweet 16 isn't enough to keep the job, and say "thanks, I'm good."

Because let's face facts. Warlick made 3 Elite Eights, a few Sweet 16s, etc., and never missed the tournament. It wasn't enough. Harper made two Sweet 16s in five years, and never missed the tournament. It wasn't enough. I'm not saying that letting either go was a mistake, I'm only saying that it demonstrates the severity of expectations by many of the people around the program.

I don't think people understand how that can look to most outsiders. People can strut up and down and say "we're too good for Sweet 16s" all they want. You either have to pay - or even overpay - out the nose or make tough decisions to hire around those kinds of standards. And even then, you may not get takers, because people will know just how short their leash is.
I'd be surprised if that didn't play a part, esp among any high level up and comers. Coaches are like police officers, they're a fraternity that sticks up for each other. I'm sure there's widespread "ain't it awful about Kellie" among them.

As a young woman her age, sometimes you have to assert yourself with more senior folks or you establish an undesirable, patronizing dynamic. While I didn’t like the answer, I did like what she conveyed.
What was it you didn't you like about the answer? Not trying to pick a fight or anything (way too much of that the past few days!), just curious. I like to hear other, thoughtful perspectives.

Do you have doubts about that philosophy making the grade at this level, or was it something else?

It is kinda funny that the Calipari stuff came out the day of the Championship game. Cal has to be in the news. He is talking to Arkansas because they like him. He needs that. He probaly can't stand it that Kentucky fans have turned on him.
Arkansas can give Calipari Tyson and Walmart donations for NIL deals.

Reactions: rickyyrs
What was it you didn't you like about the answer? Not trying to pick a fight or anything (way too much of that the past few days!), just curious. I like to hear other, thoughtful perspectives.

Do you have doubts about that philosophy making the grade at this level, or was it something else?
I just worry that we won’t have the athleticism needed to really, truly implement this as she did so successfully at Marshall. We might! We’ve (me?) just seen so little of this successfully at a P5 school and add retaining our players plus working the portal, and it all made me a nervous Nellie. (I don’t want to fight either! I want this to be successful and hang banners for years!)

Frankly, I wouldn't be surprised to learn that most coaches, especially those with success that brings them both fiscal and job security, would look at a place where making the NCAA tournament every year and reaching at least the second round or even the Sweet 16 isn't enough to keep the job, and say "thanks, I'm good."

Because let's face facts. Warlick made 3 Elite Eights, a few Sweet 16s, etc., and never missed the tournament. It wasn't enough. Harper made two Sweet 16s in five years, and never missed the tournament. It wasn't enough. I'm not saying that letting either go was a mistake, I'm only saying that it demonstrates the severity of expectations by many of the people around the program.

I don't think people understand how that can look to most outsiders. People can strut up and down and say "we're too good for Sweet 16s" all they want. You either have to pay - or even overpay - out the nose or make tough decisions to hire around those kinds of standards. And even then, you may not get takers, because people will know just how short their leash is.
You have hit the paradox. The “getable” coaches like Moren@ Indiana are having success and getting lots of love. Why leave those happy and secure circumstances for what looks like a coaching graveyard where only a natty will do in an increasingly competitive environment. On the flip side, for an ambitious young coach laboring in the hinterland, this job is a once in a lifetime chance to grab the brass ring.

My intellect? I will take my graduate degree and college playing experience and raise you 50. If I were a current player on this team I would be skeptical of any coach that has the minimal experience as this coach has because I didn't sign up for that (Division 2 championships in an unknown league does not correlate to D-1 Championships) and as a potential recruit, all I would see is division two (no connections) has one year of D-1 coaching experience (very inexperienced), she wants to use hockey style subs (no continuity), she wants to play players 12-15 minutes per game (I will never get into a rhythm) and she lost her first NCAA tournament game by 43 points because her team played in an uncompetitive league and didn't play high-level competition (Obviously has never coached big games). That would be my intellectual take on it. I hope I am wrong, but this is not a home run hire that any top D-1 player would want to invest in unless promised something in return.

The previous coaches were on the right track. Today's recruits need to know who they are playing for, their parents need to know who they are playing for, they need to know what they are getting out of it (both educationally and monetarily in the current environment) and it is nothing like 25 years ago when young people used to make their own decisions and moved out of the house by 18 and didn't move back home to live in the basement if things didn't go well. So they need that long relationship that Kellie was building with the upcoming recruits. Everyone on here can say, that the pandemic did not stop Kim, Dawn, Gino, or Tara from recruiting high school recruits. Well, your long-term coaches have had relationships with these top-tier players for years, generally 5-6 before getting that commitment out of high school. Kellie and company were right there with this 2025 class and beyond.
12-15 minutes…. you are making that up.

Reactions: COOKEVOL
You have hit the paradox. The “getable” coaches like Moren@ Indiana are having success and getting lots of love. Why leave those happy and secure circumstances for what looks like a coaching graveyard where only a natty will do in an increasingly competitive environment. On the flip side, for an ambitious young coach laboring in the hinterland, this job is a once in a lifetime chance to grab the brass ring.
I thought the points about aging family folks have made for various coaches also are compelling. Success typically comes with age, and being near family becomes a bit more important around that time too.

I just worry that we won’t have the athleticism needed to really, truly implement this as she did so successfully at Marshall. We might! We’ve (me?) just seen so little of this successfully at a P5 school and add retaining our players plus working the portal, and it all made me a nervous Nellie. (I don’t want to fight either! I want this to be successful and hang banners for years!)
i think this is a concern because it is reality. we must have athletes to trap elite athletes or cause them to turn it over. otherwise, it's like a high school team breaking the press of a middle school team. : )

Exactly all these wanted coaches aren’t expected to compete for titles…

Many had similar postseason results to Kellie… this would be a terrifying endeavor for most of them/ tarnish their legacy. Get crushed under the weight of Pat.

No matter what we needed a head strong and self confident coach. One not afraid of failure. I think we found that

While I liked Kim’s response to John Adam’s questions, I DO wonder how that style will work in the SEC.

What happens when teams repeatedly break the press? How will CKC adjust? What happens when opponents slow down the run-and-gun style and turn into a half court game? I’m also interested to see how the hockey style subs work. Will she put the right combination of players out there? So many questions.

I said it the other day — how a coach executes in the half court (to me) is a better indicator of whether they’re good with Xs and Os or not.
If a team can slow down your press, you ain't pressing right. The press is used to speed up the game. Jumping and trapping in the half court I assume will be the moves she makes to ensure the other team isn't comfortably running halfcourt sets.

Reactions: BruisedOrange
i think this is a concern because it is reality. we must have athletes to trap elite athletes or cause them to turn it over. otherwise, it's like a high school team breaking the press of a middle school team. : )
And I also want to see some proof that elite recruits want to play this type of system. Wishing her a very successful recruiting season 🙏🏼

I thought the points about aging family folks have made for various coaches also are compelling. Success typically comes with age, and being near family becomes a bit more important around that time too.

I left my absolute dream job to come home for my elderly parents, and if I have a thousand lives I'd do that a thousand times. Older people get that.

I don’t want to minimize the personal life issues but if a job is really seen as the best job in the country”, people generally find a way to pursue it. If it’s the grass ain’t much greener and maybe it’s a little browner then the option is a non-starter. The fact potential candidates were declining Whites feelers snd not even wanting to take a peek says a lot.

My impression was Kim is quite impressive. Will come across very well with recruits. Very believable combination of appropriately overwhelmed and strongly determined. A little nervous, swaying body, which made her feel genuine. I can see how she knocked an interview out of the park. She actually did make me feel better.

Danny White did not. Mr I Love My Own Risky McRisk Decisions set the bar crazy high for immediate success. Maybe the jacket he borrowed from this two sizes smaller son was cutting off the blood flow to his brain. One thing to express confidence, another to be oblivious to the huge challenges Kim will face just to break even. He should have asked for patience. He did her zero favors.

Her task is huge. Looks like the current roster is still in question. Decisions still to be made. Immediate recruiting is everything, portal clock been ticking. But who is her recruiter? Sam is gone, along with all her connections I assume. Even more pressure to recruit, and to recruit certain type players, because not only is she taking on a mammoth job at a level she's never even sniffed, she's doing so while implementing a very demanding system. A system not all, or not many, of the best players will want to play.

Sheesh, I admire her just for the guts to take it on. And I truly wish her well. But I'm scared af.

VN Store

Back