So now what do we do with Steele?

No new HC would keep anyone on his staff who knifed the last HC he worked for in the back in hope of being his replacement (Gus at Auburn). Pay whatever it takes and get rid of him. CJH shouldn't and wouldn't trust him.

which is why he is nowhere near Knoxville or involved in any communication w the program. Heupel spoke w him the first or 2nd week on the job and that was about it.
Steele does not have any impact on Heupel or program until spring practice, as I ASSUME we will need his spot for another on field coach.

We all know it’s a waiting game now as Steele wants to coach somewhere while UT prefers not to pay his contract, hoping Steele lands a job.

The idiocy of the entire thing is beyond ridiculous. Did the Chancellor allow Pruitt to go thru the motions and hire Steele, proving UT admin wasn’t aware of the violations? Why else would she allow Pruitt to hire Steele.

Who knows? Just crazy and a waste of money!

Reactions: ArdentVol
In about 5 years, I might try to figure out what you just made up. The one I left has been on hats and tee shirts.
I've never seen it before, and I was able to figure it out pretty easily. You'll get mine, too.

The answer really is in the question you asked with yours. Esp. the pickle part. :)

Last edited:
If Steele doesn't do what we tell him to do, then why can't he be fired for cause without us owing any more money?

If he was fired from a job with a buyout and we hired him below his buyout and then fired him wouldn't his Auburn buyout just go back to where it was without any pay from TN...or does he get the Auburn buyout and his tn buyout now.

I haven't read the contract but that seems like a legitimate question.

Pay him his money. Mathews said Sunday Steele hasn’t been in Knoxville in 3 weeks and his contract defines his position as assistant football coach so $900k pissed down the drain.

UT wastes money like the Fed Govt.
Meh, I think this was the one thing Fulmer did well as far as football. Steele stabilized the program as much as it could be as an interim coach at the time. We couldn’t promote another assistant or coordinator bc we didn’t know who was involved with violations. Steele was a safety net in case White couldn’t make another hire.

Ah, yes. This is a good point.

I'd hoped that clause in Steele's contract that says his job includes, "...performing other reasonable football-related duties as may be reasonably assigned by the Head Football Coach..." would free us up enough to use him in any capacity, on-field or off.

But the contract does also say, "The University agrees to employ [Coach Steele] and Coach agrees to be employed by the University as an assistant coach...." [emphasis added]

And that's the kicker. That means he HAS to be counted among the NCAA-mandated maximum 11 coaches in the football program. Because the NCAA rule reads, "There shall be a limit of 11 coaches of any type that may be employed by the institution in the sport of Division I-AA football." [again, emphasis added].

So my original idea wouldn't work. Ah well, I thought the Chief Defensive Analyst idea was a good one, anyway.

Maybe the University and he can renegotiate the contract to allow him to remain in some capacity. Otherwise, he walks and we pay him to.
Did it say which sport?

Reactions: BlinghamptonVol
New Coach does not want.
We will pay again for Fulmer's vanity.
The raise/ contract extensions for Fulmer and CJP added to the hiring of Steele are proof positive that no one is watching the cash register at UT.

Plowman is. she signed all three of those deals..

Reactions: Eastknox865
Honestly, he needs to do whatever we need him to do when we need him to do it. He's under contract. I'd hold him to it since we've got to pay him regardless. No reason to pay him to leave and watch him sign on somewhere else. Just find something around the program to use him for. He's backup/insurance. Crap happens. He's the answer to crap.

why didn't we do the same with Chaney? or Weinke? or Osovet?? they are sitting home (don't believe any have a job) home while we pay them all

Pay him his money. Mathews said Sunday Steele hasn’t been in Knoxville in 3 weeks and his contract defines his position as assistant football coach so $900k pissed down the drain.

UT wastes money like the Fed Govt.

UT told him to stay home 3 weeks ago.. they really don't want him there..

Reactions: wmcovol
But we can't retain him without violating the NCAA limit.

So we have to fire him without cause, which means we pay him to go, unless we and he agree to renegotiate his contract in a way that removes assistant football coach from his title and duties. From his perspective, I think that looks and feels a lot like he gets to walk and we pay him to.

he ain't gonna renegotiate and neither will UT. they sent him home..

When is the last time anyone saw a program pay around 1.8 million dollars to 2 coaches ( Brumbaugh and Steele ) to coach in 3.5 games and zero games respectively?
What worries me even more is the fact that the chancellor has to sign off on the Steele hire. Fulmer was not the only one responsible for poor decisions, several of them are still here.

If he was fired from a job with a buyout and we hired him below his buyout and then fired him wouldn't his Auburn buyout just go back to where it was without any pay from TN...or does he get the Auburn buyout and his tn buyout now.

Auburn owed him 5 million over 2 years. When Tennessee hire him at 900K, that relieved Auburns obligation by 900K. They now owe him 4.1 million. He gets paid by both UT and Auburn for the next almost 2 years.

The real question is, if he gets another job at say a million a year, which contract has precedent to be mitigated for that million? It is going to take lawyers and perhaps a court to resolved..

Pay him 900,000 for what, 2 - 3 weeks work? He hasn't done a thing since CJH was hired. Not even sure he's been around the FB complex, or even on campus at all for that matter, since CJH took over. Fulmer, has to be the stupidest multi-millionaire in the history of mankind. Actually, second stupidest, UT is the stupidest, for making him a multi-millionaire twice after two colossal failures. Only @ Tn 🙄

What we contracted with him mitigated $900 k of his Auburn buyout. If he were fired with cause or quit, then he’s forfeiting that amount.

Reactions: ArdentVol

VN Store

Back