So Nick Saban Doesn't Like NIL

While true where did OSU rank in talent those years Bama was #1? #2 maybe #3? It’s not like they were 10th or 15th. It’s incredibly difficult to win every single year. Virtually no team in any sport can do that.
I agree, and for the record, Saban is a great coach. His resume is essentially unmatched, but I think folks do poo poo his talent advantage a bit too much. He's definitely had one but again recruiting, building and managing your roster is part of the job, and he's excelled at it.

Reactions: BigOrangeTrain
I agree, and for the record, Saban is a great coach. His resume is essentially unmatched, but I think folks do poo poo his talent advantage a bit too much. He's definitely had one but again recruiting, building and managing your roster is part of the job, and he's excelled at it.

Oh I agree about the talent advantage. There is no denying that what 7 straight #1 recruiting classes, played a major part in his success. One thing that often times gets overlooked is how many different assistants Saban has had. I mean sheesh how many different coordinators has Bama had since 2008? The one constant? Saban.

It takes Jimmie's and Joe's to execute the Xs and Os. Of course Saban has talent galore.
Like anyone in a profession you get better with experience. He's definitely improved over the years and he's a damn good one.
That don't mean he have to like him but to say he's average is nuts.
Let's see how many Nationals Jimbo wins in the talent ($$$)rich state of Texas. Hell the state of Texas invented cheating in football.

Reactions: TheVolsFrog
Saban's a great coach and Bama's been cheating at recruiting for decades. That's why there's been a "perfect storm" in Tuscaloosa for the past 13-14 years.

Saban's a great coach but the last time he coached where every team got to buy and trade players he was in the middling at the Dolphins. So I expect no drop-off because they are stocked for the meantime he will do OK because I expect he will retire before time levels the playing field.
The days of Bama players from poor single-family homes driving new cars on campus and relatives moving to the Bama area to house sit will be across the board.

If he doesn’t adapt with the NIL and he fails to win another championship in this new age of recruiting then it would be a stain on his legacy imo. He could adapt to how the game changed on the field with up tempo offenses and the addition of the transfer portal but can’t adapt to an even playing field in recruiting. That would not be a good look for him.

WOW! I would place a wager this dude has paid players illegally at BAMA without getting caught since the day he set foot on that campus. Now that it is legal what is he concerned he'll have more competition for the best players?
Yep everyone else is getting in his cheerios. Little whiny ass.

No bama fan but that's just wrong. Saban will change what needs to be changed on the field where as a lot of coaches get stuck in their way and it's not changing
Problem is nickie can't controll the NIL dollas ya ll. That is why he is crying like a little spoiled kid.

Let me get this straight......

Saban wants to pay kids and their parents and their handlers illegally, but doesn't want to pay the kids legally? Okay. Welp this sums up everything we knew about that corrupt and crooked organization.

Reactions: OffTackleVol
If he doesn’t adapt with the NIL and he fails to win another championship in this new age of recruiting then it would be a stain on his legacy imo. He could adapt to how the game changed on the field with up tempo offenses and the addition of the transfer portal but can’t adapt to an even playing field in recruiting. That would not be a good look for him.
He will adapt and this will be another hammer with which he bludgeons the rest of CFB with. How the history is there of him "complaining" about things when they were really just warnings of "If you don't put an end to this, I'm going to do it better than all the rest of you." and you guys STILL think "THIS IS THE END OF SABAH" just honestly astounds me. You guys that believe this will be his end have been wrong time and time and time again.

He's mad that it's a public auction now instead of private with just a handful of buyers in the room. This opened the door for some teams that were just not as good at cheating as Bama and he hates that.

Saban wasn’t great at Michigan State. In fact, he never won a conference title in the Big 10. Doesn’t mean he isn’t the best college coach in the game, but he never won big till he came to the SEC. I’m sure he paid players at both LSU and Bama.
Michigan State got hammered by the ncaa after Saban’s first season for violations that occurred under the previous staff. Despite that, he led MSU to their first 10-win season in 34 years. He didn’t win a B10 title, but he did a pretty damn good job there.

I have doubts Bama has been doing anything different from other schools in that regard. Saban wins because he's a great salesman and gets the best players. As a coach he isn't much above average.
Same as Fulmer.

The way I understand it is that most of teams in the top 25 every year were doing it (cheating), but Alabama took it to another level, both in dollars and in methods. Tennessee does it and gets turned in. They don't.

Now that it is legal, any dollar advantage that they had is gone. Their whole system is worthless. It's now just a matter of who can come up with the most money, and Tennessee is now able to compete, along with a few others.

Alabama is now on a level (or worse) playing field, and will start to slide into being a good team, but no longer a dominant team. Sure, they may still have great years, but it will be the exception, rather than the norm. This reality is hard for Saban to accept.

Couldn't happen to a nicer guy.;)

As stated in several posts, Saban bragged about Young getting rich without ever having taken a snap, but now that others are playing the game better than 'bama, he's not happy. That's how I would think most other programs have felt during the Saban reign. If NIL does anything, I hope the playing field gets leveled out, but I still think someone, somewhere, will come up with a way to cheat the system.

While true where did OSU rank in talent those years Bama was #1? #2 maybe #3? It’s not like they were 10th or 15th. It’s incredibly difficult to win every single year. Virtually no team in any sport can do that.
Agree...though championships are the ultimate measuring stick, the real enduring measuring stick (it's too tough to win it every year), is are they in the mix?

This gets to the rub of why I have a problem with just four teams in the playoffs....it's currently a club of Bama, UGA, LSU, OSU, OK, Clemson... (maybe not so much LSU now)...which is what teams use to recruit towards and is a barrier to entry for teams on the fringe...any of the above teams can present history and pitch that they'll go to at least one playoff game while they are in college, w/ a historic chance of being in them most every year. Personally, I'm for some sort of expansion. Teams like UT or UF are selling a vision of hopeful upwards trajectory, while also having a history of success traditionally, but is more of a leap of faith in the vision of the coaches.

Do you consider Spurrier a good coach? Look what he did in the NFL. The NFL and college is totally different. So Saban should win more? That’s laughable. He has built the greatest football dynasty ever. You don’t get that without the ability to coach.

So you think Fulmer could have had the amount of success Saban has had if given the same talent? By all means, what in your opinion constitutes a good coach in college?

You have issues with reading comprehension? I didn't say anything concerning "Saban should win more." My post concerned something Spurrier had said. And what the hell does Fulmer have to do in this conversation? Who brought him up?

Reactions: peaygolf
He will adapt and this will be another hammer with which he bludgeons the rest of CFB with. How the history is there of him "complaining" about things when they were really just warnings of "If you don't put an end to this, I'm going to do it better than all the rest of you." and you guys STILL think "THIS IS THE END OF SABAH" just honestly astounds me. You guys that believe this will be his end have been wrong time and time and time again.
I’m glad that you can definitively predict the future and know for a certain fact that he will continue to bludgeon CFB. Georgia just beat Alabama at their own game and Texas A&M is about to become a problem with their recruiting. Saban had never lost to a former assistant but lost twice this past season to former assistants. There’s a chink in the armor. Times are changing.

Reactions: OffTackleVol
There has always been a level playing field for recruiting...........it was just under the table. Some did it better than others and some never got caught.

Folks keep pointing to Miami.
Don Shula been gone for a loooooong time. Miami sucks.

I think after 4 or 5 seasons of NIL, it is going to get really difficult for any team to win more than 10 or 11 games. I think we are going back to those days when there are not many undefeated seasons if more teams have portions of elite talent on hand. Especially if elite QBs get distributed by the NIL deals. It is not guaranteed to happen by any means, but could.

MANY more chances of upsets if more elite QBs are slinging it around and not stocked up on a few benches like today. That would be pretty exciting for college football. Even poorer programs can afford a couple of elite players, and should go for it.

VN Store

Back