So much good young talent

Volanta

Remember these names we salivated over amid their recruiting?

1. Bryson Eason
2. Martavius French
3. Tamarion McDonald
4. Cooper Mayes
5. Tylaer baron
6. Malachai Wideman
7. Harrison Bailey
8. Omari Thomas
9. Jalin Hyatt
10. Len'Neth Whitehead

Just develop them, they obviously did not get the needed coaching this year due to COVID. And even if they did still true freshmen in the SEC. In any event, interested and excited to see if Pruitt and co can develop these young men.

1. Bryson Eason
2. Martavius French
3. Tamarion McDonald
4. Cooper Mayes
5. Tylaer baron
6. Malachai Wideman
7. Harrison Bailey
8. Omari Thomas
9. Jalin Hyatt
10. Len'Neth Whitehead

Just develop them, they obviously did not get the needed coaching this year due to COVID. And even if they did still true freshmen in the SEC. In any event, interested and excited to see if Pruitt and co can develop these young men.
Pruitt has struggled in this department so far

Year one and two Pruitt gets a pass. Year 3 and there is no significant sign of developing players. No, I have little to no faith in Pruitt to coach / develop any player above Vandy status. I know, there’s the COVID 19 excuse. As if TN was the only team in the nation that dealt with COVID 19 so that dog won’t hunt.

1. Bryson Eason
2. Martavius French
3. Tamarion McDonald
4. Cooper Mayes
5. Tylaer baron
6. Malachai Wideman
7. Harrison Bailey
8. Omari Thomas
9. Jalin Hyatt
10. Len'Neth Whitehead

Yup and they all sitting on the bench watching like how can we not play with this cluster freak going on right before our eyes.

Year one and two Pruitt gets a pass. Year 3 and there is no significant sign of developing players. No, I have little to no faith in Pruitt to coach / develop any player above Vandy status. I know, there’s the COVID 19 excuse. As if TN was the only team in the nation that dealt with COVID 19 so that dog won’t hunt.

I understand your logic, but the Covid part isn’t really based on facts. The SEC has standards, the schools have standards, and the local health departments have standards. Some local health departments are more strict than others, so quarantines, contact tracing, etc. are all different. Some teams missed significant spring time, while others didn’t. Some teams are older, and some arent

Reactions: tbones0711
On development... Here's a look at the last four years. Start with 2016, the last year with Dobbs, then bottoming out in 2017, then onward with Pruitt.

defense.png

At the end of Jones' tenure, teams didn't pass because they didn't have to. Opponents could run on us all day. Total defense, both points allowed and yards per game, has improved each year under Pruitt. It starts in the trenches, and it's gotten better.

offense.png

This is no surprise... you can really tell where Dobbs left. We've improved each year in all facets under Pruitt, over what 2017 looked like. We still haven't gotten back to where we were when we had a future NFL player under center, though. Go figure. You can see what happened to Jones after Dobbs wasn't here to make him look good, right there where you see that fall-off from 2016 to 2017. Then 2018-2019 shows some slow consistent x's and o's growth. 2016 really shows you what Jimmys and Joes do for you.

Going forward, I'm sure the 2020 season is going to look like there's some fall-off in terms of performance, but that's to be expected when your season is a ten game slog through an SEC-only schedule. I'd be surprised if everyone in the conference doesn't do the same thing. But the overall trend here is year over year improvement in every major statistical category.

Short version: we are improving every year, and we're a quarterback away. The results aren't what we want yet, but the sky isn't exactly falling here either.

I have my doubts about Pruitt, he seems to say the same things week in and week out, WE HAVE TO TAKE CARE OF THE BALL, WE CAN'T MAKE MISTAKES, TOO MANY PENALTIES, bla bla bla.

Every coach says simple things like this but this guy seems to believe it to the point that he is focused on not making mistakes instead of how to score 50 points a game. Tennessee football has become so predictable and boring under Pruitt it is painful to watch. Watching JG stumble around with those RPO options and no one in the stadium believes for a minute that he is going to keep the ball and run, and if he does the defense can catch him within 3 yards of the line of scrimmage.

He should be developing the new QBs for the future, stop wasting time with JG 5th yr senior that still has footwork issues, has no touch on passes, everything is 200 mph, 2 yards away or 30 yards down field. These coaches are often so wrong about their players ability based on practice. If if were not for injuries, Dobbs and Kamara would never have seen playing time which happens to a lot of players.

Pruitt is so inflexible and stubborn that it may be his downfall. The honeymoon is 3 years old and the product we see on the field has his name all over it, he owns it and is accountable for the results.

Man he is boring!!! It has become JG 3 plays and punt, lowest 3rd down conversion of any major program, around #70 last I checked.

Bring on Harrison Bailey the future of this team, before he decides to enter the transfer portal, he is a 5 star QB, listed #3 in the country and he is riding the bench behind a subpar SEC qb that ranks in the very bottom of the SEC.

I remember saying exactly the same thing when I was registering for fall classes my senior year...........just not about the football team.

Reactions: rbjnet
Just 3 top-100 players...no 5*s. I like that class a lot, but needs at the very least a real offseason. Some developmental guys with high ceilings. I mean this isn't a Bama/UGA class that could just win in the SEC immediately. Patience...

Reactions: ArdentVol
I haven’t seen much of any development from this staff. They’ll waste all of this young talent
Darrell Taylor
Nigel Warrior
Daniel Bituli
Kyle Phillips
Shy Tuttle
Marquez Callaway
All improved under this staff.

A. Taylor (High school QB)
Bryce Thompson (QB)
Shawn Shamburger
Trevon Flowers
Have all developed into SEC level starters under this staff

There are some clear talent gaps (ILB, OLB, WR, QB) but guys are improving. You are speaking straight out your ass.

Darrell Taylor
Nigel Warrior
Daniel Bituli
Kyle Phillips
Shy Tuttle
Marquez Callaway

Bryce Thompson (QB)
Shawn Shamburger
Trevon Flowers

There are some clear talent gaps (ILB, OLB, WR, QB) but guys are improving. You are speaking straight out your ass.
I can make a list of players that have regressed too.

Darrell Taylor
Nigel Warrior
Daniel Bituli
Kyle Phillips
Shy Tuttle
Marquez Callaway

Bryce Thompson (QB)
Shawn Shamburger
Trevon Flowers

I’m sure you defended butch and Dooley too. This staff lost to Georgia state. All those players you named except I believe Tuttle were on that team.

On development... Here's a look at the last four years. Start with 2016, the last year with Dobbs, then bottoming out in 2017, then onward with Pruitt.

View attachment 320503

At the end of Jones' tenure, teams didn't pass because they didn't have to. Opponents could run on us all day. Total defense, both points allowed and yards per game, has improved each year under Pruitt. It starts in the trenches, and it's gotten better.

View attachment 320494

This is no surprise... you can really tell where Dobbs left. We've improved each year in all facets under Pruitt, over what 2017 looked like. We still haven't gotten back to where we were when we had a future NFL player under center, though. Go figure. You can see what happened to Jones after Dobbs wasn't here to make him look good, right there where you see that fall-off from 2016 to 2017. Then 2018-2019 shows some slow consistent x's and o's growth. 2016 really shows you what Jimmys and Joes do for you.

Going forward, I'm sure the 2020 season is going to look like there's some fall-off in terms of performance, but that's to be expected when your season is a ten game slog through an SEC-only schedule. I'd be surprised if everyone in the conference doesn't do the same thing. But the overall trend here is year over year improvement in every major statistical category.

Short version: we are improving every year, and we're a quarterback away. The results aren't what we want yet, but the sky isn't exactly falling here either.
Good post. That makes good sense. The only question is why have they not developed a QB.

Reactions: lifeVol
I understand your logic, but the Covid part isn’t really based on facts. The SEC has standards, the schools have standards, and the local health departments have standards. Some local health departments are more strict than others, so quarantines, contact tracing, etc. are all different. Some teams missed significant spring time, while others didn’t. Some teams are older, and some arent

Some teams win.. Some teams don't!

Good post. That makes good sense. The only question is why have they not developed a QB.
You got me. Surely it's not just a case of a swing and a miss that many times on the recruiting trail. Makes me wonder if Chaney and Martin and Weinke are all rowing the same direction.

Aren’t Baron and Hyatt the only ones who’ve seen many snaps?
No Spring practice, shorten Fall practice, and Covid exposure isolation makes it impossible for the true Freshmen to play very much. Oh, I forgot, we had a bunch of them who were injured when they did practice. I think Slaughter( sp ) has played a lot at nickel.

Yup and they all sitting on the bench watching like how can we not play with this cluster freak going on right before our eyes.

They are young, I’ll give you that, as for talent, they must prove their mettle before being crowned

They are young, I’ll give you that, as for talent, they must prove their mettle before being crowned
You mean to tell me you think Hyatt and Bailey shouldn’t be in the field. We both know they should be. The product ahead of those 2 are not better options and your crazy if you think so.

You mean to tell me you think Hyatt and Bailey shouldn’t be in the field. We both know they should be. The product ahead of those 2 are not better options and your crazy if you think so.
I agree Hyatt should be on the field and I think he will see increased playing time.

Reactions: N.ohio vol
Darrell Taylor
Nigel Warrior
Daniel Bituli
Kyle Phillips
Shy Tuttle
Marquez Callaway

Bryce Thompson (QB)
Shawn Shamburger
Trevon Flowers

get off the drugs.

VN Store

Back