So let's talk Kentucky

KnoxRealtorVOL

First of his name
We got a little while before our next game, and I have to confess I haven't really gotten much of a chance to watch KY play this year. I know this weekend against UGA will tell us a lot about them, but all I really know is their QB is legit and they have a Great Value generic knockoff-brand Jalen Hurd named "Braylon Heard."

So what's good about KY? What's bad? How is their run defense? How is their O-line? Should we expect Barnett and company to live in their backfield? How are their receivers? Do they have weapons to stop Dobbs and our WR corp? What are the strong and weak points of this team?

TIA

...all I really know is their QB is legit and they have a Great Value generic knockoff-brand Jalen Hurd named "Braylon Heard."

So what's good about KY? What's bad? How is their run defense? How is their O-line? Should we expect Barnett and company to live in their backfield? How are their receivers? Do they have weapons to stop Dobbs and our WR corp? What are the strong and weak points of this team?

TIA

Fwiw Heard was a top 200 player coming out of high school, didn't really get a chance to play so he came to UK. Has been effective, but not 100%.

Good - Playmaking ability. We finally have guys like Timmons, Blue, Kemp, Heard, Williams, D Rob., Horton, and of course Towles. O-Line hasn't been great, so expect UT to pressure a lot.

Bad - Youth. Not as young as UT overall, but young in some very important positions. Dropped passes, missed coverages, and special team blunders have dogged us the whole year. We have to play well on all sides of the ball to have a chance.

Defensively I think we have weapons to make stops. Tiller, Stamps, and Lowery are secondary guys that have lots of potential to make plays. Dupree and Smith might be one of the best DE combos around, but the middle guys like Elam, Johnson, and Douglas have to control the middle. Plenty of potential and skill, just have to make plays when it counts.

Reactions: 18 people
Fwiw Heard was a top 200 player coming out of high school, didn't really get a chance to play so he came to UK. Has been effective, but not 100%.

Good - Playmaking ability. We finally have guys like Timmons, Blue, Kemp, Heard, Williams, D Rob., Horton, and of course Towles. O-Line hasn't been great, so expect UT to pressure a lot.

Bad - Youth. Not as young as UT overall, but young in some very important positions. Dropped passes, missed coverages, and special team blunders have dogged us the whole year. We have to play well on all sides of the ball to have a chance.

Defensively I think we have weapons to make stops. Tiller, Stamps, and Lowery are secondary guys that have lots of potential to make plays. Dupree and Smith might be one of the best DE combos around, but the middle guys like Elam, Johnson, and Douglas have to control the middle. Plenty of potential and skill, just have to make plays when it counts.

Are these RB's? Receivers? Is your WR corp big or smaller and faster?

UK: Points for 69th. Points against: 51st. Schedule: L-Miss St, L-@LSU, W-USCe, L- @Mizzou, L-@FL. Weak teams: W-Ohio, W-LA-Monroe, W-UT-Martin, W-Vandy.

UT: Points for 85th. Points against: 58th. Schedule: L-@OK, L-@Geo, L-FL, L-@OMiss, L-AL, W-USCe, W-UtahSt, W-ArkSt. Weak Teams: UT-Chat.

With Dobbs UT: 32.5 points for. 38 Points against (yikes).

I don't see us giving up more than 24 against UK.

UT 38, UK 17

Reactions: 1 person
...Dupree and Smith might be one of the best DE combos around...

I'm not talking trash here, but I would like to point something out in regards to this statement.

This duo you speak of are only credited for 2 sacs more (collectively) than our freshman DE, Derek Barnett.

*per ESPN's unofficial stats.

Reactions: 11 people
From what I've watched them towles is great when he has time to throw, not so much on the move. They do have "Sting's" son, so I hope he doesn't put someone in the scorpion deathlock.

Reactions: 2 people
We got a little while before our next game, and I have to confess I haven't really gotten much of a chance to watch KY play this year. I know this weekend against UGA will tell us a lot about them, but all I really know is their QB is legit and they have a Great Value generic knockoff-brand Jalen Hurd named "Braylon Heard."

TIA

For the record, I go Great Value on canned goods, trash bags, and milk. Never on cereal, drinks, chips, or toilet paper.

Reactions: 4 people
For the record, I go Great Value on canned goods, trash bags, and milk. Never on cereal, drinks, chips, or toilet paper.

I agree with this. But to me it's all about the important stuff, which is the cereal. I gotta have Lucky Charms over Fortunate Charms, there's just a noticeable difference.

Reactions: 3 people
They looked pretty good against Miss ST. I watched a lot of that game and came away impressed with their QB, they just couldn't compete for 4 quarters with them. I think they will be the toughest of the 3 remaining games, Missouri is unpredictable and you never know what team will show up, Vandy is Vandy. Uk has looked the most consistent of the games I have watched minus the LSU game. Just my opinion.

I absolutely agree. You can't go off brand with these items, especially cereal. Nothing beats the real Cap'n Crunch!

The biggest weakness for UK is their rush defense. They are 97th in the country in stopping the run. They are giving up about 188 yards a game.

The biggest weakness for UK is their rush defense. They are 97th in the country in stopping the run. They are giving up about 188 yards a game.

Stop trying to derail the thread by talking about Kentucky. We clearly have a high level discussion about brand name vs. generic grocery items going on here.

Reactions: 14 people
UK is nobody to take lightly. Dupree and Stamps are both playmakers on D. Towles, Kemp and Heard play well together with Towles, IMO, the most dangerous. He will pull the ball down and run. UT needs to put Towles on his arse a few times a QT, pressure the hell out of him and their offense is gone. Dupree is their best defensive player, hands down. They have some depth at DE, not sure about the rest of the d-line. Glad this game is in Knoxville.

Reactions: 2 people
they match up to us. Dont count it as a win. It may end up as a fight. They seem to have a better overall team than we do at this point.

Reactions: 4 people
UK is nobody to take lightly. Dupree and Stamps are both playmakers on D. Towles, Kemp and Heard play well together with Towles, IMO, the most dangerous. He will pull the ball down and run. UT needs to put Towles on his arse a few times a QT, pressure the hell out of him and their offense is gone. Dupree is their best defensive player, hands down. They have some depth at DE, not sure about the rest of the d-line. Glad this game is in Knoxville.
That's for sure. If the Vols look past this one then UK can steal it...even in Knoxville. As per tradition, this is the Cats' biggest game of the season and, for them, it's pretty much a season maker-or-breaker. They're more athletic than I've ever seen them and they're far better coached up. Their biggest enemy seems to be similar to UT's, which is youth and a lack of depth. Let's get out the gate fast and keep their QB under pressure and it'll be a good day in Neyland.

Key to the game:
If UK can hold Dobbs and hurd under 200 yards on the ground collectively they have a very good chance at a win.

It's going to be a close game. UK hasn't won an SEC road game all season (or 5 seasons) so I like UT to win this one at home.

This is going to be a very good game. Kentucky is a good team and we will be damn lucky to win this game. Before Dobbs they were just better. With Dobbs we have a shot.

UK: Points for 69th. Points against: 51st. Schedule: L-Miss St, L-@LSU, W-USCe, L- @Mizzou, L-@FL. Weak teams: W-Ohio, W-LA-Monroe, W-UT-Martin, W-Vandy.

UT: Points for 85th. Points against: 58th. Schedule: L-@OK, L-@Geo, L-FL, L-@OMiss, L-AL, W-USCe, W-UtahSt, W-ArkSt. Weak Teams: UT-Chat.

With Dobbs UT: 32.5 points for. 38 Points against (yikes).

I don't see us giving up more than 24 against UK.

UT 38, UK 17

Trust me this game will be much closer.

Are these RB's? Receivers? Is your WR corp big or smaller and faster?

A combination of backs and receivers. Really no tight end to go to on our team btw.

We have big receivers, Blake Bone, Garret Johnson, Cunningham, Dorian Baker...but they are not our main guys game to game.

You're probably going to see a lot of passes to Timmons, Robinson, Williams (out of the backfield), and some deep shots to Blue/Johnson/Baker.

VN Store

Back