So let me get this straight..

Hooker & Bailey isn’t able to beat out Milton for the starting QB position on a bad team yet, Heupel is supposed to bench Milton to play the other QB’s that’s not as good as him?

Do you really think Heupel is that stupid or some of you are really that narrowed minded?

Milton is also the only one of the three who wasn’t here for the spring. Which means he probably has more room to improve.

The only thing that surprised me is that Milton is not the athlete that I was expecting.

He does not look like a dynamic runner at all
He is slower and not as strong a runner as I expected.
Not near the runner Dobbs was……

There are players, and then there are gamers. From my experience and what I have seen from his on-field presence, Bailey is a gamer. He can make every throw that Milton attempted last night and last year he sure appeared faster and quicker on his feet than Milton.
Man that last sentence you said is exactly what I was thinking last night. Milton didnt look like a dual threat QB. In fact I thought he looked akward running and it seems like he doesnt know how to take the contact as a runner. He wont make it threw SEC play running like that. I didnt expect 4.4 speed but damn I expected him to look faster then HB. To me HB moves just as well as he does. I remember alot of people talking about how HB doesnt fit the scheme. Its a bs narrative simply bc he came from a spread offense in high school. Marietta was not asking him to take 3-5 step drops from under center. It was shotgun pitch & catch. He could run every play Milton ran last night. If you go watch the tape, everytime Milton stood in the pocket pointing downfield he had a check down for a 1st down literally right in front of him waving. I saw him take a sack on a play like that. I guarantee you HB makes that check down. I get it, everyone wants the big splash play but sometimes you should take what the defense gives you. BG obviously played to not get bombed on

Some guys do not perform well in games. If JG didn't teach us that... then we have some real problems.

I'm not giving up on Milton but he needs to get his head out. He has to see and anticipate receivers breaking open. He has to get the ball out quicker which means he has to make good presnap reads and good, quick decisions with the ball.

What he didn't do well last night... is a strength for the other two. They don't have his physical talent but in just his brief appearance Hooker demonstrated that he had not forgotten what he practiced. He followed through with his throw fake on RPO's. I didn't see Milton do that once.

It was very obvious to me that Heupel did not see Milton perform the way he thought he would based on practice. So no, he's not stupid at all. That doesn't mean that Milton is the right guy. Many critical decisions are made based on the best available information and have to be changed later.
You hit the nail on the head with anticipate receivers, I seen Fant wide open up the middle twice yet he wasn'tseen.... I'm hoping he can figure it out and not stand like a statue

Reactions: 901 Orange
Hooker & Bailey isn’t able to beat out Milton for the starting QB position on a bad team yet, Heupel is supposed to bench Milton to play the other QB’s that’s not as good as him?

Do you really think Heupel is that stupid or some of you are really that narrowed minded?
I don’t think most rational fans think that. I will say though some kids are better under the bright lights than others if the competition is close in practice. I also think several fans are just wanting to see what we have at QB not necessarily “thinking” that the backups are better but more “hoping” the backup is better. It’s like the stages of grief.

. Check Bailey’s stats against much better competition last year and get back to us.

Milton looked like a cheap “QB coaching” video, like he was doing some drill everytime he switched reads. He needs to move his head and eyes and stop being so stiff. If he does that whole, hop and turn his entire body towards the wr he’s changing to, UF, UGA and Bama secondaries are gonna have a field day picking him off.

Reactions: Proud Army Wife
Personally after seeing the game Thursday. I wish Maurer would've got out of his head mental...
I think the would've killed it in this system

If you evaluate only by practices, Dodds would never had set foot on the field and we would have struggled back when we won 8-9 games. Remember, Milton lost his job at Michigan and it was not all because he hurt his thumb. He appears to be a good athlete and the potential is there. However, he has not progress as one would hope in the three years he has been in college football. We are not having a Mr. America contest; we are playing football which required specific skills. What I saw Thursday night indicates he is not ready for prime time. Can he get there? I hope so, but his self evaluation after the game did not indicate he is serious about his need for improvement. Maybe sitting on the bench for parts of a game or two would inspire him to take his responsibilities more seriously. He and the coaches may also discover that one of the other QBs may be as good or better than him when the game is on the line. Dobbs proved that he was/is a gamer and we won football with him that most people thought we would lose. Ask Georgia.

Reactions: BigALWiLson

This place can be great cant it.. my complete entertainment is here during football season.. I think we got a different type of coach here we have never have had… Offensive mind. A ex QB..

But we have 3 better than JG.

Crazy how the dialogue/opinions changed after the first two drives...went to hell in a hand basket real quick. Though there’s always drops, those two drops by Hyatt were drive killers. It appears this offense works great when it’s in sync, but a real issue when you get behind the sticks...
And so we’re the deep balls being over shot badly ! Or missing your running backs open on the check downs...Because you failed to see open receivers. Statue man isn’t gonna work and I hope he’s got more game. I also hope that this was the plan and the vanillA was the plan to stink it up. I’m concerned with several things with his passing game !

1. Jerry Colquitt
2. Todd Helton
3. Peyton Manning
4. Brandon Stewart

In the season's opening game against UCLA, Colquitt injured his knee, tearing multiple ligaments. Helton came in off the bench, but then so did Manning and Stewart, as all three understudies played a series after Colquitt went down. In the end, Helton earned his playing time and led the Vols to three fourth-quarter touchdowns, but couldn't complete the comeback as UCLA prevailed, 25-23.
Helton's first possession starts at 17:45. Manning's possession starts at 56:20. The rest of Helton and Co.'s comeback attempt can be seen here.
The next week, Helton went 9-for-13 for 110 yards and a touchdown in a 41-23 victory over No. 23 Georgia. After a 31-0 bludgeoning at the hands of No. 1 Florida State, Helton suited up to lead the still-ranked Vols against Mississippi State. Helton injured his knee in that loss and was replaced by Manning, who started for the Vols for the rest of that season ... and the one after that ... and the one after that ... and the one after that.

The same numbers from Milton likely gets a QB change vs Pitt. I think it’s a winnable game and goes a long way towards going bowling. Have to win Pitt.

WHAT WE LEARNED---From Las Vegas.
Tennessee is not good. They will get rolled by almost every team they play in the SEC. Their Michigan transfer at QB will lead them nowhere. I love Heupel because I am a life long OU fan but he is going to have a rough year or 3 and be out of a job. They ran the ball well but were 7-15 on 3rd down and 1-3 on 4th down. They will not be able to run like this against the SEC.
Premature on the not good. From week one to week two will be the test. Then you can make your call. If there gonna stay with Milton he better start hitting the deep ball and recognize the right receiver. I’m not confident that he’s capable of doing this. They will lose to better teams but they won’t get rolled over by anyone! That’s only gonna happen if injuries start hitting us hard in certain positions. Stats like 3rd n 4th down doesn’t bother me in this particular game. Film studying on what you actually have and working on situational and fundamentals are gonna be huge this week. I think there was a lot of vanilla watching going on in this game. We didn’t show many of/or any blitz packages. I thought the defense played a real good game. We Tackled really well. I’ll tell you what is being over looked at and no one is talking about. But that SR. Qb. Played with a lot of poise and confidence. He was really on his A game. Very accurate and had really good ball placement. Really good arm strength also!

Maybe Milton was better pre-snap, getting them lined up, in right formation, getting plays going at right tempo. This kind of change can’t be easy for Bailey. He’s only been here a year. Only played a handful of games. Totally different offense. A lot going on before the snap. Who knows about the other one. Just speculation. I don’t think there’s any doubt if Bailey could get to the actual passing part of the play he would do better than Milton did.

Reactions: mpfvol

I think collectively we are......a narrow mind and a fat head invariably come on the same person.....but fans should have the right and authority to express their opinions about this football program, regarding expectations as well as their take on the games, players and coaches etc.

People are talking so much about Milton because they hoped he would be a marked improvement and he wasn't. Time will tell. I am not confident he makes it as starter through the whole year, but doesn't mean we have someone tons better either.
If a couple of drives were not stopped by penalties and dropped passes and we evemtually scored on the drives the nobody would be talking about Milton’s performance.

Reactions: 901 Orange

VN Store

Back