So did we sacrifice this season

Nico wasn’t ready. He has the potential to be as good as Hendon, which is the modern benchmark for how good a player could be in Heupel’s system, but he would’ve gotten slaughtered with this team in SEC play. It could have ruined him.

I love the kid and what I think he can accomplish the next few years though.
Yeah Nico had the same early reads that I remember from Hendon…. If read 1 is no, read 2 is no, read 3 is me tuck it and go.

Just never felt like Joe got that comfortable or was able to move off his reads quick enough.

Reactions: 19_GBO_19
By allowing Nico to sit knowing that Milton was going to try but not be a world killer. Did we look at the schedule and say that beating Bama and UGA would be too much to ask for a freshman.
Nico was prepared for today way more than I thought he’d be.
Looking forward to spring and next fall.
You take everything Milton faced in it's totally this season....insert Nico....You think Tennessee wins more than eight games ?! That Nico makes it through the season ?!

Seems they handled his DEVELOPMENT perfectly.

Went to the game . Iowa reminded me of Vandy. Except worse on offense. Nico missed a ton of open receivers especially quick slants. Great win by a Team Effort.

Not getting 8 more meaningful snaps has the potential to hurt us next year.

If he played more this season he would have the flaw of holding it too long when the pocket collapses.

My only criticism of JH is playing older players I’ver more talented underclassmen.

Nico today is not Nico back in September.

He was what he was today BECAUSE he had the luxury of sitting back as the #2 guy all season and absorb, learn, grow, ask questions, and develop.

Josh Heupel and Joey Halzle are pretty dang smart. They knew what they were doing.

Go Vols!

Agree

This! Nico was never forced to win this game with his arm. Could he have? I am super excited about Nico’s ceiling, but his floor this year was lower than Joes. If Joe plays again Iowa we probably score 50
If Joe had played we would have been lucky to have scored 20

Reactions: djohnnyg
By allowing Nico to sit knowing that Milton was going to try but not be a world killer. Did we look at the schedule and say that beating Bama and UGA would be too much to ask for a freshman.
100% we did. Heuple giving veterans love. Oldest recruiting tool ever!

NO

The only game where it might have made a difference is Florida. The other three we just didn't have enough at other positions.

I don’t think it mattered in Florida game. Our defense gave up like 80% of 3rd down attempts.

Nico threw for 151 yards. I personally think Joe would have had better stats yardage wise. Nico had a solid game and got some TDs near the goal line, but I don't think the performance overall was groundbreaking or anything. Liked his poise though for a freshman. I think he's going to be real good. I don't think this performance warrants questioning whether or not he should have been the starter all year though.

This forum is ridiculous. Nico was awful dropping back to pass today. Failed to process pass the first read. Yeah he's young and hopefully he can grow and his athleticism is exciting yatta yatta. Joe was the best QB on the roster this year and this game only confirmed it
You need to rewatch the game. He progressed past the first read several times. There were several times he didn’t have time to do that.

Reactions: DooleyOrangePants
I trust the staff that the best QB started. They saw all the quarterbacks in practice all season. We just read about it…

I don't think other than maybe UF Nico could of made any difference.. Doubt he would of looked like tonight back then..

Reactions: DuckInAPen
Yea, that's definitely what the coaches did here.... 🙄

Is this really a serious question?

If we had a Big 10 schedule then yes.....we sacrificed this year.

I would hate to think what Bama....Georgia..
Florida...or Missouri would have done to that kid behind the O line that had issues all year.

Plus, sitting and watching for the season probably had an impact on his decision making today versus what it would have been early in the year.
What did they do to Joe

No game, not even Florida was winnable with a freshman QB. Fla dominated the OL that night.

To step up in class, Tennessee has to get better on the OL first & foremost.

I prefer "investment". Nico took some shots today to his 205-210 lb body that his 185 lb body may not have held up to. He managed the O almost flawlessly which wouldn't have been the case without time and practice.

The record probably wouldn't have been better if he had played and learned OJT. He might have gotten injured. It might have stunted his development. Judging by today... Heupel played it right.

VN Store

Back