So after all the hustle and hoopla.....

MWAVolfan

If you're Danny White, how do you wipe this egg off your face? Oh, that's right, with 100 dollar bills! Our 2 million dollar AD just hires the coach from his former job? So basically Danny White just de-facto brought UCF to the SEC?

What this proves:
1. Tennessee truly is no longer a good job to have
2. Danny White had no idea what he was in for with this coaching search and he had no coaches "in the bag" when he was hired
3. If we want a top tier coach to take us to the next level, we CANNOT let the current coach stay until he ruins the program again, we must cut our losses while he is still having success
4. While this hire is an upgrade over getting a coordinator to be our coach for 3.5 million, it's not going to bring us back

Please Lord God I hope we didn't give this guy more than 4 million a year!

How exactly does White have "egg on his face." Heupel not meeting your expectations has no bearing on this coaching search.

Because it was painfully obvious after days and days of searching for a head coach that White just went to his "break glass in case of emergency" hire. Every other coach that White wanted turned us flat down or tried to bilk us for 10 million bucks a year because we are desperate. So White took the easy way out and just went to get his guy at UCF. This was another embarrassment of a coaching search. Just like when we hired Jones and Pruitt. Not because this coach doesn't meet my approval. It didnt meet Danny White's approval either. If he really wanted Heuple from the beginning he would have announced him on day 1 as our head coach. But he went searching for much better coaches and found out that much better coaches didnt want to come to UT. Or the administration wouldnt let him hire Freeze or Kiffin or Chadwell.

If you're Danny White, how do you wipe this egg off your face? Oh, that's right, with 100 dollar bills! Our 2 million dollar AD just hires the coach from his former job? So basically Danny White just de-facto brought UCF to the SEC?

What this proves:
2. Danny White had no idea what he was in for with this coaching search and he had no coaches "in the bag" when he was hired
3. If we want a top tier coach to take us to the next level, we CANNOT let the current coach stay until he ruins the program again, we must cut our losses while he is still having success
4. While this hire is an upgrade over getting a coordinator to be our coach for 3.5 million, it's not going to bring us back

Well hell it hasn't been a good job to have since fatboy Fulmer drug it into the ground back in 2008..........we gonna be rebuilding in my eyes for probably 2-3 years again but it depends on Huepel n the coaches that he hires on how fast we turn this thing around! maybe with a lot of luck finally we will get some great transfer players in and keep Gray,Too-Too, and a few others....

Reactions: Flatliner and 08Vol
I forget which pocket the coach is in, as we keep switching pockets. The University of Revolving Door Head Coaches! Fan patiences grows thinner with each one.

They could easily FREEZE this situation.

Reactions: LittleVol
It’s not a good job to have.....right now
Hasn’t been a good job since Kiffin left and has only gotten worse, especially now with the mess Pruitt left us.
No 5 star coach would touch this mess at UT and that that risk.

You can't hire a name coach because this place is in the trash can right now. I don't like it but it is what it is and we're just gonna have to live with it. No name coach was ever gonna take the job with the NCAA breathing down our necks except maybe Freeze or Kiffin and I don't think they ever had a chance in the first place. Heupel is the new coach and I'm with him til he gives me reason to not be because I love the Vols and always will.

What this proves:

5. You obviously know much more than anyone else in Knoxville.

Reactions: onthehill71
Because it was painfully obvious after days and days of searching for a head coach that White just went to his "break glass in case of emergency" hire. Every other coach that White wanted turned us flat down or tried to bilk us for 10 million bucks a year because we are desperate. So White took the easy way out and just went to get his guy at UCF. This was another embarrassment of a coaching search. Just like when we hired Jones and Pruitt. Not because this coach doesn't meet my approval. It didnt meet Danny White's approval either. If he really wanted Heuple from the beginning he would have announced him on day 1 as our head coach. But he went searching for much better coaches and found out that much better coaches didnt want to come to UT. Or the administration wouldnt let him hire Freeze or Kiffin or Chadwell.

For one, you have no idea how many coaches we actually offered. Anyone speculating on that is doing just that. Speculating. So far, it doesn't seem like anyone has been remotely correct this entire time during the coaching search.

Two, even if "every other coach" turned us down, how exactly is that his fault? TN's current situation isn't attracting many coaches, no matter how much money you throw at them.

And lastly, Heupel meets the entire criteria that DW was looking for and obviously DW is familiar with him, so I find it extremely unlikely he was never in consideration from the start.

Reactions: Kinger and Lurker
For one, you have no idea how many coaches we actually offered. Anyone speculating on that is doing just that. Speculating. So far, it doesn't seem like anyone has been remotely correct this entire time during the coaching search.

Two, even if "every other coach" turned us down, how exactly is that his fault? TN's current situation isn't attracting many coaches, no matter how much money you throw at them.

And lastly, Heupel meets the entire criteria that DW was looking for and obviously DW is familiar with him, so I find it extremely unlikely he was never in consideration from the start.

If Heupel was truly desired as the head coach, White would have announced him on day 1. The deal would have been done before the ink was dried on White's new contract. That's just a fact. He had full access to Heupel and you know Heupel would have jumped at any chance to get SEC level coaching money.

While I dont "know for a fact" who Tennessee offered and who turned us down, you'd really have to have your head in the sand and be willfully ignorant to the point of absurdity to not realize what just happened to UT.

Every day that went by and "names were emerging" those names were getting lower and lower on the ladder. That's just a fact. And I'm old enough to know that rumors are usually true and where there's smoke there's a fire somewhere. Anyone that says otherwise isn't living in 2021.

If Heupel was truly desired as the head coach, White would have announced him on day 1. The deal would have been done before the ink was dried on White's new contract. That's just a fact. He had full access to Heupel and you know Heupel would have jumped at any chance to get SEC level coaching money.

While I dont "know for a fact" who Tennessee offered and who turned us down, you'd really have to have your head in the sand and be willfully ignorant to the point of absurdity to not realize what just happened to UT.

Every day that went by and "names were emerging" those names were getting lower and lower on the ladder. That's just a fact. And I'm old enough to know that rumors are usually true and where there's smoke there's a fire somewhere. Anyone that says otherwise isn't living in 2021.

LOL dude just stop. It's embarassing. If you're "old enough" then you know that agents float names to reporters all time during coaching searches in order to get their guys an extension from their current school, despite not actually being a target by the school searching for a coach. We know for a fact that DW went to great lengths to make sure this search was secure. But you're just going to believe every rumor because you saw it on a message board or on twitter? GTFO.

Secondly, considering they hired a search committee, no I don't believe Heupel would have been hired on Day 1. DW has an obligation to the university to vet qualified applicants. The search committee sent out feelers to see who was actually interested and that also met DW stated criteria. Once they brought back a list of potential candidates, DW and anyone else involved would conduct interviews. That's how the process works (or is intended to work anyways). Again, no one knows who was actually interviewed, so it's a moot point trying to assume.

VN Store

Back