Snakes

I know. I’m pretty sure there are more around. I tried to tell my wife the things they eat are likely worse than the snake.

We do not kill rat/black/king snakes around the farm. Or similar. What the wife needs to understand is that those snakes are the reason you are not seeing poisonous snakes around the house. While still alarming when you unexpectedly encounter one, they are essential to a safe yard if when left alone.

I was defrosting small freezer two summers ago on deck outside back door. it's a low, patio type deck. Went to bring back in, and son leaned it back and 4 foot black snake came out from under it, up on the steps and right across my wife's feet. Her expression and attempt at some sort of vocal noise still cracks me up. It got worse when she saw it go through the hole in the foundation vent and into the cellar. I watched out the back door and it did come back out.

I lived in Arizona until I was 5. My dad used to get his fun (i.e. gun) money making and selling rattlesnake skin belts, buckles, sheaths, etc. I also remember being in the bathtub one time and seeing a garter snake slither down the hallway.

My wife had the same mindset. It took some smooth talking to convince her otherwise. Lol.

Now it’s pretty much understood that if we see one in the yard I have to eliminate it.
Mice, moles, rats > snakes.

Snakes + mice = no mice.

Snakes = live.

Reactions: malinoisvol
Some how a snake got in the building at my work, and I got automatically volunteered to go get it since I'm Cajun. lol I was like " thanks gang... " I've got a bunch of snake stories now that I live in KY. My dog runs king snakes out of the yard every month or so as they come up and down the mountain for water. Copper heads are everywhere here, had one about 2 feet away from the back porch. Professor Nono summed it up, and I would add that they help with ticks also

My mom called me yesterday, how do you work this BB gun? Her and her friend are in the back yard and there’s a big black snake on the pool deck. I didn’t buy the gun and ive never shot it so I was no help. I said get a hoe if it’s that big a deal, she said we’re not getting that close. It left before the two of them could figure out the gun.

Reactions: tntar heel
Opened the hood on my tractor this evening. SURPRISE! SURPRISE! SURPRISE!
View attachment 281338View attachment 281339
That happened to my father-in-law a couple of weeks ago. He has an old truck topper with the built in tool compartments behind his shed that he stores miscellaneous items in. He called me over saying he thought he had a rattlesnake in one of the compartments. He’d opened it and saw the snake briefly and freaked. I raised the door and saw it was a big rat snake

Reactions: malinoisvol
Lol Wife said the same. When that little bastage dropped down by my hand, I thought she was gonna be collecting a check.
Snakes don’t scare me as long as I don’t run up on them or have one drop down like that. Me and a friend were catfishing on the Stones river sitting about 6-8’ apart on a hard mud bank. It was quiet and all of the sudden “splat!”.... a HUGE black snake had fallen out of the tree and landed right between us. We both moved quicker than we thought possible

That happened to my father-in-law a couple of weeks ago. He has an old truck topper with the built in tool compartments behind his shed that he stores miscellaneous items in. He called me over saying he thought he had a rattlesnake in one of the compartments. He’d opened it and saw the snake briefly and freaked. I raised the door and saw it was a big rat snake
Well....part two.... I saw the father-in-law today and noticed he had the tool compartment door open on the topper so I walked over and saw this...... looks like the snake came back lol
939CEFD5-F7A3-4F4D-B55E-EFA816F5591F.jpeg

Good size snake. I hate snakes but if they are the "good" ones I can tolerate them. They just scare the crap out of me!

Good size snake. I hate snakes but if they are the "good" ones I can tolerate them. They just scare the crap out of me!
When I pulled the snake out of the topper the first time I estimated it to be 5ft or so. I carried it on a rake to the edge of the woods and tossed it in. Apparently, it prefers the security of the topper

Reactions: Boca Vol
I went snake ranglin' today. Got a call from my neighbor saying he had a large black snake on his front porch. I grabbed my bucket, snake picker-uppers and took off. I arrived at his house and found this nice, healthy, 4+ foot snake. Took me a few minutes to wrangle it.....brought it home and released it just behind my house near the woodland. I hope he/she likes it here and stays awhile.
wp_ss_20200529_0001.png

Attachments

• WP_20200529_12_16_17_Rich.jpg
    WP_20200529_12_16_17_Rich.jpg
    883.5 KB · Views: 7
  • wp_ss_20200529_0001.png
    wp_ss_20200529_0001.png
    5.2 MB · Views: 5
  • wp_ss_20200529_0001.png
    wp_ss_20200529_0001.png
    5.2 MB · Views: 3
I went snake ranglin' today. Got a call from my neighbor saying he had a large black snake on his front porch. I grabbed my bucket, snake picker-uppers and took off. I arrived at his house and found this nice, healthy, 4+ foot snake. Took me a few minutes to wrangle it.....brought it home and released it just behind my house near the woodland. I hope he/she likes it here and stays awhile.
View attachment 283620
A few years back .... my in-laws.... again...they’re terrified of snakes..... asked me to come get one of these out of their back yard. It took off and tried to go down a hole right by the foundation of the house so I grabbed it by the tail.... had been watching Crocodile Hunter....well I’ve got it by the tail and it was a big one.... and I’m pulling with some force, but not too much when all of the sudden I get a whiff of something that smells awful.... like Michael Moore’s big fat nasty behind awful.... so I let the snake go.... smelled my hand and OMG!.... I didn’t know that snakes can musk you like that, but I do now.

VN Store

Back