Smoke at Neyland in 3Q

Hard to find definite info on this. I'm sure more will come out by morning about it all. The amount of smoke in the one photo posted looks a lot more than just a "few papers burning". You'd think a concession stand fire would prompt some sort of stadium wide response though. It's unnerving knowing the stadium could have possibly caught fire and they were just not going to tell everyone.

I imagine Neyland is pretty well fireproofed. Announcing a fire in a stadium with 100,000 people would likely present much more danger.

Reactions: 5 people
Hard to find definite info on this. I'm sure more will come out by morning about it all. The amount of smoke in the one photo posted looks a lot more than just a "few papers burning". You'd think a concession stand fire would prompt some sort of stadium wide response though. It's unnerving knowing the stadium could have possibly caught fire and they were just not going to tell everyone.

I'm sure that it was under control rather quickly and making an announcement could have created a panick. The event management people handled it very well. It didn't seem to be billowing... just a big puff of smoke. I'm guessing a popcorn fire.

Reactions: 1 person
I'm sure that it was under control rather quickly and making an announcement could have created a panick. The event management people handled it very well. It didn't seem to be billowing... just a big puff of smoke. I'm guessing a popcorn fire.

popcorn-jig-o.gif

Reactions: 5 people
I was forced to listen to Vandy radio broadcast in the second half. Their color analyst kept mentioning the smoke between every play and the play by play guy was just ignoring him.

Hurd, AK and JRM ran up to get some popcorn real fast.

They ran so fast that their shoes were smoking.

Nike already contacted Goodyear to develope football shoes that don't burn on concrete by really fast running footVol players.

New shoes are expected by next season along with a new field.

#BrickbyBrick...VFL...GBO!!!

Are concrete and steel flammable?

Are concrete and steel flammable?

You're using the wrong term in "flammable" but yes, concrete and steel are ultimately susceptible to heat. None of that matters though as you'll be dead from smoke inhalation long before the steel and concrete fail.

Hell, sorry folks. Didn't realize cooking meth at the game would draw so much notice.

Reactions: 3 people
You're using the wrong term in "flammable" but yes, concrete and steel are ultimately susceptible to heat. None of that matters though as you'll be dead from smoke inhalation long before the steel and concrete fail.

This. Think twin towers. Lots of strong steel.

I was in section D and it was pretty pungent. Overheard someone in the concourse say a popcorn maker went ka-boom

With heightened security due to some pretty credible (though non-specific) threats of terrorist activity this past week, I'd bet there were a host of policemen and security force members at Neyland who went into adrenaline overload briefly yesterday when that popcorn machine blew its top.

This. Think twin towers. Lots of strong steel.

That was also jet fuel burning at extremely high temps in the structural center. A temp high enough to weaken solid steel I beam columns...A simple grease fire isn't going to cause the same affect

There susceptibility temperature would not be reached by a popcorn grease fire.

That was also jet fuel burning at extremely high temps in the structural center. A temp high enough to weaken solid steel I beam columns...A simple grease fire isn't going to cause the same affect

Are you saying that a jumbo jet loaded with fuel is going to cause more damage than a popcorn cart loaded with kernels?

Jet fuel burns at around 1800 degrees and steel melts at about 2800 degrees. You can't just pour jet fuel on steel and melt it, it takes several other variables to melt the steel.

VN Store

Back