Slade to step down?

here's my beef with this argument. Slade has been questioned in the past, but you can't fault him for losing players to expulsion and inky going down last year. He then went through more injuries at the start of this year. Berry, a true freshmen had to step in and learn on the fly. Then they had to bring Vinson to the secondary and teach him everything during the season. I know he was a db in HS, but he was a receiver in all his practices at UT. The secondary improved on a weekly basis. How much can we truly fault Slade based on this year alone?

Maybe not but go back and look at last year exp the ark game. Our backs got beat by someone that had broke ribs. The plays we gave up this year looked like the ones from last year. We where out of position all the time.

this would be the easiest area to infuse with some youth and energy ala' Trooper

Im pretty sure there is gonna be some changes on the defensive staff.

Doug Matthews was saying that even if they won the SEC there would still be some changes.

I have heard that Slade would go.

I have to give him SOME credit though. He has developed some pretty good DB's while he has been here.

However, Tennessee has had alot of talent for the secondary while he has been here. Furthermore I do not know if the play-15-yards-off-the-ball is Chavis's scheme, or Slades, but that HAS to go. We now have the size to jam the receivers at the LOS plus the speed to recover in Willingham, Berry, Vinson, and Morely (next year).

here's my beef with this argument. Slade has been questioned in the past, but you can't fault him for losing players to expulsion and inky going down last year. He then went through more injuries at the start of this year. Berry, a true freshmen had to step in and learn on the fly. Then they had to bring Vinson to the secondary and teach him everything during the season. I know he was a db in HS, but he was a receiver in all his practices at UT. The secondary improved on a weekly basis. How much can we truly fault Slade based on this year alone?
It's all his fault and if you use the "Oh they are just Young and Inexperienced", you are not in the know as far as what it takes to play in the defensive backfield. Mr. Slade has had plenty of opportunities to show what type of talent he has had and I do not think he is much of a coach, because the proof is in the total output for what he has done. Which is not very much!

It's all his fault and if you use the "Oh they are just Young and Inexperienced", you are not in the know as far as what it takes to play in the defensive backfield. Mr. Slade has had plenty of opportunities to show what type of talent he has had and I do not think he is much of a coach, because the proof is in the total output for what he has done. Which is not very much!

calling me out? I used the injury plagued excuse and the fact that they had to use players they didn't even plan on. Berry had to move from safety to corner and back to safety. They never planned on that. Vinson wasn't even supposed to be used in the secondary. You can't just pick someone and automatically make them a good cornerback. It does take a considerable amount time to learn the shemes and the assignments. Learn to read. I also said, solely based on this year. I even admitted that he's had problems before. If you really think you can just plug someone into a corner position, you are definitely not in the know of what it takes to work in the defensive backfield.

My head tells me that changes on the defensive staff will be made, my gut tells me we win the bowl game and Phil stands pat.

glad to see some of you coming around...Slade is awful...same schemes and same play for years now no matter how much talent is back there

Slade has not done a good job in the secondary throughout his entire career at UT. However, those who do not acknowledge the handicap he overcame this year with the injuries and dismissals have no idea what it takes to play DB in SEC football. You obviously think its much easier than it actually is. I think he did one of his better coaching jobs of his career. But like I said, that doesnt say too much.

you're right about that... what are we? the 84th ranked pass D in football....it sure doesnt say much.

Its Mr. Fulmer's neighborhood.....we are just living in it......Slade will be in the tree until Phil gets canceled!

Well, UGA made Rodney Garner an assistant coach. Since we have about 5 team captains on any given week, we may as well have 3-4 assistant coaches on the staff as well. Heck, I don't see any problem with giving him title. What's the worse that could happen?

Speaking of which, did you see half the team go out for the coin flip at the SECCG? It may have been discussed earlier, but what was the deal with that?

Speaking of which, did you see half the team go out for the coin flip at the SECCG? It may have been discussed earlier, but what was the deal with that?

From what i noticed in the stands, I think it was every senior that dressed for the game.

But wasn't Mayo out for the actual coin flip?

honestly, even though i saw it during warmups and was prepared, i was still in awe of going the orange pants route that I don't even remember the coin flip except hearing the PA Announcer say that we had won and would receive.

Slade limiting Morley's potential is laughable. Comparing Morley and Berry you see the difference attitude, work ethic, and intelligence play between athletes that bust and athletes that succeed.

VN Store

Back