Since we're throwing out names. Joe Brady

Brady is 31 years old. I don't feel good about him hiring guys that are all older than him, and I feel like that would create a sour dynamic. Especially with a lack of head coaching experience.

No. Maybe in 10 years, but not now.
Sean McVay would disagree

One good year as "passing game coordinator" and y'all ready to crown him SEC HC? Guy failed to score 32 points all year with the Panthers. Is it possible he got too much credit for Burrow just being really freaking good?

I get the impression that Clemson's offense is Dabo's offense and who their OC is really doesn't matter. So I don't feel Elliot isn't really responsible for their success and isn't a great HC option
That’s fair. I get the impression that Dabo trust him to call the offense. No doubt Dabo has his fingers all over it in practice etc. I do think Tony is the play caller. Only thing that’s pretty impressive to me is Danny wanted to hire him before he went to Clemson and had all this success. Regardless #indannyitrust

Reactions: Emperor VOLpatine
I could be totally wrong but I don't see us bringing in an assistant coach to run our program. Obviously all Head Coaches were assistants at some point. My position is an Assistant needs to prove his worth as HC at a smaller school the way the vast majority do before taking the reins of a monster like Tennessee. Could an assistant be a home run hire? Absolutely but aren't we over trying that? I read this morning where money is not an issue. So same ole same ole. We need to work if it takes weeks to get a proven "manager" of programs to come to Knoxville and lead our team. Other words...a sitting or previous HEAD COACH. JMO. I heard the guy on SEC network (rarely listen to ANYTHING associated with ESPN) saying Vols should back the truck up to Brady's front door and dump all the cash they have to hire him. I don't agree with that. IMO all these guys can coach...but we are talking managing a humongous machine in the Vol football program... please lets not throw the keys to someone that's about to learn on the job!!! But whatever we do we will probably have to wait 2-3 years before we know. Arkansas was convinced they had their man in Bret Bielema and Chad Morris but clearly they didn't. How can you know? Its takes a few years I guess. And Kiffin/Freeze will not be the coach in Knoxville but it's fun to think about.

The only difference between Elliott and Brady, is Elliott can recruit the brakes off of the Clemson map. If he came to Tennessee we would start pulling top five classes year after year. I think that’s an unknown with Brady

I for one do not put recruiting the top priority right now. It is very important, but Butch was also a top recruiter.
I think we should target a top HC that has experience in DEVELOPMENT. Recruiting is second fiddle.

VN Store

Back