Simple question: Quarterback Coach

Bigorange123

If they hired YOU as TN Football HeadCoach. Who would you bring in as YOUR quarterback coach?

Thanks for replies.

Go vols, n fry sum chicken!!

Sorry for the long post.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person
OC and system are more important than the QB coach... unless the OC is the QB coach.

The foundation of UT's problems on O is Jones' system. His particular version of the west coast spread is too complex to learn and too easy to defend. Complex schemes prevent players from playing fast.

Reactions: 8 people
Didn't Butch have the opportunity to bring in Chris Weinke but chose Canales instead? I'd probably try to get Weinke cause the opposite of whatever Butch does is probably awesome.

Reactions: 4 people
Chris Weinke

He has been rated as one of the best QB coaches over the past many years.

Also Tennessee had the chance to hire him........but they took Canales instead.

OC and system are more important than the QB coach... unless the OC is the QB coach.

The foundation of UT's problems on O is Jones' system. His particular version of the west coast spread is too complex to learn and too easy to defend. Complex schemes prevent players from playing fast.

Yep. So who is your OC, QB combo. Thanks

i agree, but i think an even bigger issue is the personnel recruited to run this system. i've never had the impression, aside from Dobbs, that we've actually had the type of personnel needed to run it effectively.

personnel wise, we "look" more like GA, than we do Ok St or Auburn. jmo. but the way this year's offense resembles the offenses we saw in '13 and '14, it feels like square peg/round hole.

Serious answer:

First I would call Peyton Manning and make him say no to me. If he said no my next call would be Chris Weinke. Third choice would be Kenny Dillingham from Memphis, he seems to have worked wonders with Riley Ferguson.

i agree, but i think an even bigger issue is the personnel recruited to run this system. i've never had the impression, aside from Dobbs, that we've actually had the type of personnel needed to run it effectively.

personnel wise, we "look" more like GA, than we do Ok St or Auburn. jmo. but the way this year's offense resembles the offenses we saw in '13 and '14, it feels like square peg/round hole.

Your system shouldn't require players to make plays in spite of the system in order to be successful.

What is the "system"? Lots of teams run the west coast spread without the zone read option. So it isn't as simple as way too many here try to make it.

It isn't as simple as having a running QB either.

I'll give you my two main thoughts on it.

One, the OL techniques and concepts. I don't know if you were here or remember but I remember distinctly reports of former Vol OL's questioning what Jones was teaching the OL. There is a lot of "influence", non-contact type blocking. There's a lot of trying to "out system" the D rather than letting the OL's compete physically. I do not believe that Jones just has a flaw of signing OL's that are overrated and without talent. I do not believe it is simply a product of hiring bad OL coaches. I think it is nearly 100% what his scheme asks OL's to do.

Two, I think his scheme is so dependent on the "fine details of playing winning football" that it is nearly impossible to get 11 players performing well enough at the same time to execute it. How many times has Jones said that the O suffered because one guy didn't do his job right? That's what happens when you overcomplicate things. I think that's why the WR's are playing so poorly this year. I think that's why we're in year 5 and the only OL you can say was truly good... is the one left by Dooley who reportedly refused to do things Jones' way.

IMHO, Jones scheme is designed to be his resume to get into the NFL. I have always thought that's what he wanted. It is simply too complex for college players to execute against the kind of defensive athletes UT plays.

Reactions: 3 people

VN Store

Back