Simms' performance

Peyton Manning - 3rd game of first full season as starter (2nd year overall)
Lost to FL - 35-29 - threw 4 ints
Vols were ranked 2nd in nation - later lost to Memphis that year

Simms - 3rd game of first full Div 1 (FBS) season against same opponent
19 of 31 (61%) for 259 yards - 2 TD - 2 Int
All with fewer weapons than Manning had at the same point in his career - and manning had that incredible O-Line

Now Simms will not be a Manning I don't think, but to pass for 61% and 259 yards against FL and even # of TDs and INTS is good

FWIW, Mannings Career completion % was just 62.49%

Some will say Simms is a Junior and Manning was a Sophomore - Well

Manning still stunk up the FL game his second year after playing D-1 for almost an entire year - even wil all of the talent around him

Simms threw 10 passes at Louisville in 2008 and had a good year in 2009 in Jr College. but that is his entire experience.

Bottom line is we just need more O Line experience and Gerald Jones back and our young receivers to mature to properly evaluate Simms.

I GUARANTEE Bray would have been a disaster at this point. Remember, all he has ever seen is HS defenses.

Peyton Manning - 3rd game of first full season as starter (2nd year overall)
Lost to FL - 35-29 - threw 4 ints
Vols were ranked 2nd in nation - later lost to Memphis that year

Simms - 3rd game of first full Div 1 (FBS) season against same opponent
19 of 31 (61%) for 259 yards - 2 TD - 2 Int
All with fewer weapons than Manning had at the same point in his career - and manning had that incredible O-Line

Now Simms will not be a Manning I don't think, but to pass for 61% and 259 yards against FL and even # of TDs and INTS is good

FWIW, Mannings Career completion % was just 62.49%

Some will say Simms is a Junior and Manning was a Sophomore - Well

Manning still stunk up the FL game his second year after playing D-1 for almost an entire year - even wil all of the talent around him

Simms threw 10 passes at Louisville in 2008 and had a good year in 2009 in Jr College. but that is his entire experience.

Bottom line is we just need more O Line experience and Gerald Jones back and our young receivers to mature to properly evaluate Simms.

I GUARANTEE Bray would have been a disaster at this point. Remember, all he has ever seen is HS defenses.

Incorrect - that was Manning's Junior year...1996. Nice try though.

You can't win in this league without great QB play, there's too much speed and it's easy for SEC defenses to man up and stop the run.

That's been UT's problem of late and that worries me about Dooley. If you can't develop a top QB in this league your toast.

Manning played well his whole career except against Florida, I don't see the Manning analogy. If you want to make an analogy to Ainge go ahead, but Ainge played well as a freshmen, but had a terrible sophomore season.

Ppl need to quit making excuses for Simms. He can only throw 4 yard passes or screens. He caught fl sleeping on both td passes. We won't get far like this every week. We know now that we cannot play at all from behind. Our offense is predictable. It is also a guarantee that Simms will throw a pick a gain like Crompton did. When he throws 15 plus down field he stares his recievers down. He had one more pick dropped today.

Manning played well his whole career except against Florida, I don't see the Manning analogy. If you want to make an analogy to Ainge go ahead, but Ainge played well as a freshmen, but had a terrible sophomore season.
No he didn't. See my earlier post. he played OK but 4 picks in 1996 could not be considered 'well' - especialy being ranked #2 ad having that talent.

J. Crompton was impressed with Simms ability to throw terrible interceptions at incredibly costly moments. Simms missed a TD on the first play of the game, threw an INT on the three yard line, threw to a WR who was not visible due to being COVERED and got picked off, missed Stocker on the flee flicker, threw a bad ball on about 4 or 5 throws, but besides that he played well.

They need to only put one WR on the field at a time, and put all offensive linemen out there for the other positions because if Simm's first target isn't open then the play is over any ways.

VN Store

Back