Silly Hipsters

Well that's embarrassing. Not as embarrassing as wearing a beanie as a fashion statement, but embarrassing nonetheless.

I like the underlying idea of the article the dude was objecting to, which talked about how anti-conformists all end up looking alike. I used to say the same thing about goths. I remember some goth person saying something about being a nonconformist, while standing among a whole bunch of people that were dressed and styled exactly the same. Cracked me up.

I like the underlying idea of the article the dude was objecting to, which talked about how anti-conformists all end up looking alike. I used to say the same thing about goths. I remember some goth person saying something about being a nonconformist, while standing among a whole bunch of people that were dressed and styled exactly the same. Cracked me up.

“Remember, you’re unique. Just like everyone else.”

I forget where I first heard that, but it’ll make a non-conformist’s head hurt.

“Remember, you’re unique. Just like everyone else.”

I forget where I first heard that, but it’ll make a non-conformist’s head hurt.

From Wild and Crazy Guy:

Let's repeat the Nonconformist's Oath!
I promise to be different!
--- I promise to be different!
I promise to be unique!
--- I promise to be unique!
I promise not to repeat things other people say!
--- I promise n... [murmur murmur laugh laugh]
Good!

Reactions: tbh
1552078511214.jpeg

images

Goth, EMO, Punk.... all sides of the same die.

Full disclosure... I was a skater kid in high school and railed against the conformity of of the preppys. Fortunately I realized the irony by 11th grade and just said F it.

The really ironic thing about hipsters is that a lot of their trademark styles/interests (some aspects of their dress, the veganism, love of craft beer, beards, music) aren't part of just hipster culture anymore - they are just part of the culture at large.

So not only to all hipsters look alike, there are a lot of people who are decidedly not hipsters who have embraced things hipsters enjoy. They have to try even harder to be a hipster now - it isn't enough to just like craft beer (as everyone seemingly likes craft beer now), you have to like this brewery nobody else has heard of and drink the latest, trendiest beer they produce.

VN Store

Back