SIAP: Best analysis of Barnes I’ve yet seen

He’s almost 70. The dude is using us as a comfy cushion making millions until he decides to hang it up
That is the silliest nonsense I ever heard. Tennessee just made the sweet 16. They had the best team in the league the prior year with the first SEC tournament title in over 40 years. Does that seem like a coach just collecting a pay check?

Reactions: Ratvol
It’s funny you say that. I was at the game down on the floor seats, and I didn’t even notice Barnes until the 2nd half when we started getting murdered during that stretch.. He literally had zero personality or emotion during the game, like it was a scrimmage.

The best coaches show emotion and fire 🔥.
I like Coach Pearl better bc of this. Sometimes the team needs it to get pumped up or motivated..

Barnes on the sidelines is a lamb… he needs to be more like a lion!!
Stupid comment. Barnes is constantly working the refs and talking to his players when they come off the court. Let’s just blame everything on the coach.

We are a football school. Always have been, always will be. Sweet 16 is our annual goal and I’m okay with that. Barnes is a good coach, runs a clean program, and will have us in contention for our annual goal. I’m fine with that

I agree with you and am on board with Barnes as a coach until retirement for putting Tennessee basketball back on the map. I do believe however that you can be consistently successful in more than one sport. Tennessee went through a lot to find Huepel and they are on the right track. Barnes has brought a program from shambles. I will take him any day. I guess in a long winded way I was trying to say that you can do good in more than one sport.

Reactions: EasternVol and SDV
Remember Barnes is 67 years old, he used to have a little more fire back during his prime. That being said I’d take Pearl back tomorrow if it was up to me. He made Tennessee basketball the most exciting that it’s ever been in my lifetime, and I was born in 83.
I love Pearl. He is a great coach. I like Barnes more. A great coach and if I am not mistaken Barnes is one a handful of coaches who has taken 3 teams to the sweet 16. A great accomplishment. Same thing can be said about Pearl.

We are a football school. Always have been, always will be. Sweet 16 is our annual goal and I’m okay with that. Barnes is a good coach, runs a clean program, and will have us in contention for our annual goal. I’m fine with that

The irony is that, though we are a football school, more patience is shown in these forums with historically middling football teams than with basketball teams that are in the top quintile of our teams historically. I suspect this is due in part to the fact that a football team can end the year on a positive note with a bowl victory, whereas even an historically great basketball team will almost certainly end the season with a disappointing loss.

I'm mostly a lurker to this forum but I had a thought I wanted to share. The difference between our program and programs that are still in the tourney is that we don't have a Kennedy Chandler to drive the ball and either score, get fouled, or kick out for an open 3. All the other teams have aggressive, athletic guards and we don't.
Agree with the overall point of this post. Ironic that you mentioned Kennedy Chandler however given he was on our team last year and we got bounced in the 2nd round.

It was a pathetic effort by TN no hustle or energy or sense of playing in sweet 16.
This team has no leaders, seniors didn't take leadership role on team you have to have a player or players you can count on for a basket Tn hasn't had that player since Grant Williams Schofield team...sad
The Achilles heal for the Williams/Schofield team was lack of depth. But even that team had the plague of no one taking a shot until the shot clock was at 1 and long scoring droughts. Sad. When we got screwed against Purdue I said out loud that there went our best chance at a Final 4 in my lifetime.

I love Pearl. He is a great coach. I like Barnes more. A great coach and if I am not mistaken Barnes is one a handful of coaches who has taken 3 teams to the sweet 16. A great accomplishment. Same thing can be said about Pearl.
I would take Pearl over Barnes, but even Pearl is showing some age.

Reactions: Hank Bukowski
Fire him and drag Wade Houston or Buzz Petersen back in here. I bet you all BMW'ing about a lost in the Sweet 16 would shut up then. Nah, cause y'all just like the village idiots in the lady Vols forums.

“…I firmly believe that any man’s finest hours – his greatest fulfillment of all that he holds dear – is that moment when he has worked his heart out in good cause and lies exhausted on the field of battle – victorious.”

Vince Lombardi

You didn’t give CVL his due.

Reactions: Hank Bukowski
Tennessee is not a good tourney team I was watching when Ray Mears was losing tournament games he should have won to Syracuse and VMI with Bernie and Ernie on team...not just CRB......

Your point is well taken but Bernie was out of the VMI game. Still we should be able to beat VMI with Grunfeld and 4 frat guys.

Reactions: lynnh
What i don't understand about CRB is he always says he wants his offense to run from the inside out. If you want that you better have post that can score. He hasn't had that since Grant W.

Reactions: lynnh
It was a pathetic effort by TN no hustle or energy or sense of playing in sweet 16.
This team has no leaders, seniors didn't take leadership role on team you have to have a player or players you can count on for a basket Tn hasn't had that player since Grant Williams Schofield team...sad

We didn’t lack leaders. We lacked healthy players who could score.

Barnes doesn't build or assemble teams for tournament play, he builds a regular season roster that is what it is, it looks essentially the same all season and regrettably, the team does not improve much as the season progresses, his players make most of their improvement in the offseason.

It's not that Barnes is a bad tournament coach, he may be, from my seat the gist of the problem is his roster and player skill sets are the same in March as they were in the previous November, not geared to score in bunches, not prone to make a big run or blow anybody out of the gym, certainly capable of giving up a big run and having a hard time with the speed of a tournament team in the college game, such that the ability to win night in and night out or prep for a next day tournament game is often unattainable. FAU fully demonstrated all those weaknesses and shortcomings in a Barnes coached team Thursday night.

Texas is celebrating their first return to the elite eight since 2008, which is the last time Barnes was there as well and it is no coincidence, aside from last year's SEC tourney title over A&M, that he hasn't fared very well in the tournament game at Tennessee either.
Ha! Other than winning the first SEC title in 40 years for UT, Barnes isn’t good in the SEC tourney. That’s funny right there. And your assertion of not having a team built for the tourney is wrong too. The team that lost to Loyola had everything. When Alexander went down it hurt and they ran into a hot team.

Reactions: DuckInAPen
It wasn’t one of the worst performances of the year. FAU is a good team. They had a good gameplan and adjusted well to our inside game. If they had hit open shots early, they would’ve beaten us by more. We were a man down, tired and hobbled, and it showed. When ORN had a great game we could overcome a one dimensional offense. Unfortunately he is up and down. They covered Santi well and dropped in tight on Uros after he scored a few. They deserved to win. It wasn’t our night. Beating Duke made the season for me. We were tougher, played harder, and that was probably all we had in us. Not enough pieces to play chess, and barely enough to play checkers.
Totally agree! JJJ walking around hurt, Santi playing 38 minutes a game for a month, and ZZ not playing was tough to watch at times for sure. Then add on the fact Phillips hit a wall physically or just forgot how to play basketball the last month as well. He looked lost last few games.
I’m sure Coach could have done things better at times (call timeout during their 18-2 run maybe) but he can’t make them make open 8-10ft shots.
Them manhandling DUKE after a week of media slobbering over them and then listening to them cry about getting thumped made my year. Anything after that was just icing on the cake!
FAU was a bad matchup (like Mizzou) and they can really, really shoot. Can’t wait for next season to get here! GO VOLS!

I'm 67 and remember....watched John Wooden and UCLA many times...Wooden was a great coach and those UCLA teams had great and 99% of the times better talent than anyone in the country....Much like Bama has done in football and now UGA.

Reactions: Ratvol
Barnes doesn't build or assemble teams for tournament play, he builds a regular season roster that is what it is, it looks essentially the same all season and regrettably, the team does not improve much as the season progresses, his players make most of their improvement in the offseason.

It's not that Barnes is a bad tournament coach, he may be, from my seat the gist of the problem is his roster and player skill sets are the same in March as they were in the previous November
, not geared to score in bunches, not prone to make a big run or blow anybody out of the gym, certainly capable of giving up a big run and having a hard time with the speed of a tournament team in the college game, such that the ability to win night in and night out or prep for a next day tournament game is often unattainable. FAU fully demonstrated all those weaknesses and shortcomings in a Barnes coached team Thursday night.

This is the truth spoken, as I see it.

I am thankful we have Barnes. Pearl is my personal favorite though. That being said you can’t take Barnes for granted if you watched Kevin O’Neil, Buzz Peterson, and Cuonzo Martin coached teams.

We didn’t lack leaders. We lacked healthy players who could score.
Tennessee's point guard was injured.... senior leadership was not there and couldn't make a basket....players that say the other team wanted it more tells me it was a poor effort....

VN Store

Back