SI: Urban Meyer to USC

Meyer wasn’t unanimously considered a home run hire in 2004. We also weren’t aware of his flaws back then.

Now we know...he’s a great coach with no shortage of baggage.

I meant all the off the field stuff and how he just quits when he feels like it. There’s something about SoCal and Meyer that screams bad fit

Reactions: FLVOL_79
That's why you make him an offer he can't refuse...
When you are being courted by high-revenue programs, all of them will eventually come in around the same monetary offer. Money is not a separator. When money is roughly the same, something else, typically like "Can I win big here" or "What is the current state of the program" or "Does the admin know what it is doing" becomes the separator, and Tennessee at present offers all the wrong answers to those questions.

Reactions: miket4god
I meant all the off the field stuff and how he just quits when he feels like it. There’s something about SoCal and Meyer that screams bad fit
Depends on what "bad fit" means. To me, it screams "would have them in the playoff within 3 years, then leave soon after." If USC wants him to stay a while, then it could be a bad fit.

Meyers just got thumped by his BOT in Columbus. He couldn't swallow the message they wanted him to repeat. And he was not in agreement with a 3 game suspension that he viewed as nothing short of character assassination and total humiliation. Without a doubt, the biggest reason he flew the coop. Trying Tennessee's BOT on for size after that car wreck, I don't think so.

Meyers just got thumped by his BOT in Columbus. He couldn't swallow the message they wanted him to repeat. And he was not in agreement with a 3 game suspension that he viewed as nothing short of character assassination and total humiliation. Without a doubt, the biggest reason he flew the coop. Trying Tennessee's BOT on for size after that car wreck, I don't think so.

Most of those within the UT fanbase know that Meyer will not even entertain the idea of coming here, even if offered. I have zero faith in this administration making the correct hire for this football program.

I have to wonder if Urb will give the NFL a try. Always a few teams with the itch to try out a hot college coach. I can see about 5 teams maybe looking at a new coach.

Dallas
Atlanta
Tennessee
Washington
Cleveland

Lincoln Riley has been linked to the Cowboys job even with his huge buyout, but I wouldn't rule anything out.

How long until he has more heart problems or wants to watch his grandkids play volleyball?

Meyer is a short-term bet. If I'm looking for a long-term solution for my program, he wouldn't be on my A list.
While I agree with that premise, is anyone a long term-solution anymore? Let’s face it, all of them are mercenaries. Generally if they are good they move on, or if their bad they get fired. If I’m an AD, I would never be thinking any coach is going to be there more than 5 years.

Urban will do well anywhere he decides to go. It's just the drama that follows him or he creates. He would be a big hire for them after some down years.

Reactions: BeecherVol
And Chris Petersen, and Mario Cristobal, and David Shaw, and every other coach in the P12.

Not Shaw. He's the real deal. He'll still play big boy football and will do well against the Trojans, no shrinking violet this one.

USC and Tennessee could make equivalent offers and he'd go to USC. Why in the hell would any established coach come here right now?
Honestly it has as much to do with what you are fighting to get where you are trying to get.

UGA has established it self. UF is right there now. Mizzou has been a solid program now for years. The you have Bama every year and depending on the draw, typically a good to really good west team.

USC is a better job from that idea alone. Similar to OSU being a better job than UF at the time.

Urban had an emotional breakdown competing in the SEC with a loaded Florida team. It's hard to see him try that again. USC makes sense, but the new president says no. She could be reminded soon who's writing the checks though.
Kiffin gave Urban heartburn. Urban Myth is a reality.:cool::cool::cool:

I have to wonder if Urb will give the NFL a try. Always a few teams with the itch to try out a hot college coach. I can see about 5 teams maybe looking at a new coach.

Dallas
Atlanta
Tennessee
Washington
Cleveland

Lincoln Riley has been linked to the Cowboys job even with his huge buyout, but I wouldn't rule anything out.

Compared to those franchises, Oklahoma is the better job.

Lulz...apparently the truth is considered sour grapes in your world.

In mine, sour grapes is someone suggesting Meyer is not home run hire despite his on the field success.

I do think he is a homerun hire. I was however, curious as to what the general consensus was

VN Store

Back