Show some love for Candace Parker!

you guys are a bit ignorant with your Bird discussions in a CP thread. You guys must know she's supremely skilled and a thinker on the court. Now, let's get back to the topic at hand, please.

She beats double and triple teams because she's generally more talented than everyone else. Doesn't hurt her scoring when UT can generally put a couple 3 point shooters on the same side with CP.

I have played a wee bit of organized ball and know a tad about the organized game, though I'm obviously lagging behind you. She would be most men her size, but would not touch 6'4" or 6'5" decent basketball players. Just wouldn't happen.

I'm not threatened in the least by her. I'm giving my opinion on a message board. My playing days are long since gone. She proves no threat at all to me. Hell, she probably still can't beat me.

Here you go again with the redneck implication, but it just doesn't hold water and you know it. I think womens ball has no business on TV and the money hemorrhaging in the WNBA is a solid testament to that truth. It's not sexist or ignorant at all to point it out.

Now, if you want to continue to be an ostrich or see it as a slight on the WNBA, that's your business.

I can't see how you don't understand that saying women's ball has no place on TV is sexist and ignorant! Like I said earlier, there are lots of things that shouldn't be on TV and lot's of sports teams don't turn actual profit. You also seriously think that you would beat the best professional women's basketball player in a game? LOL, that's funny. If you said that about any male professional athlete the whole board would light you up. There are plenty of male sports that are on TV and have no business. To say that one of the premier sports in America shouldn't be on TV because women are playing is :crazy:. What else should sports networks cover this time of year? Baseball?! How is saying that the WNBA should not be on TV not a slight to it and the players? BTW, since when does a sport being profitable legitimize or delegitimize it being viewed?

Chris Paul isn't know for pure athletic ability??? Have you seen his speed and quickness????

You have posted some of the dumbest things regarding basketball I've ever seen.

Are you Mickey Dearstone? If not I know a terrible morning talk show you would love.

Actually his basketball IQ and ability to make those around him better are his strongest points. He is quick and fairly strong in the post but so are lots of other PG's. Nobody was proclaiming him MVP because of his speed, though. It is his mind that makes him a truly special player. When you get to that high of a level of competition everyone is a freakish athlete. It is their intelligence that sets them apart. Thanks for trying to make me look stupid Jizzvol. Hope that works out well for ya.

why make the effort? He's arguing that CP has enormous basketball IQ. Have you heard her interviews regarding games? She says teammates 237 times and little else.

She is the dominant physical talent in the game and has respectable handle and skills for her size. A 6'5" swingman in the NBA with her handle, shooting, passing and IQ, would be without job very quickly and we know it. Homerism finds it very hard to see.

You mental giants are the one's that turned it into a comparison between men and women. Congratulations on figuring out that men are usually faster and stronger than women. How long did it take you to realize it? Turn the argument into what you want but the original point was that Candace is tearing up the WNBA and Vol fans should be proud of her. I didn't start making claims that she would dominate the NBA, you guys felt the need to point out that she isn't a MAN!! Candace is very physically gifted and has great basketball skills and IQ. Those are not traits specific to men. Larry Bird would beat CP. Hmmm.....yep that's pretty obvious. Saying that she wouldn't beat high schoolers is flat out wrong. I guess sexism makes it hard to see that a woman could ever compare in any way to a man. BTW, thanks for playing into the typical UT fan stereotype. I guess the Ivy League education didn't change much.

Larry Bird could barely dunk, was not fast or particularly quick, I assume you think Candace could beat him.

You called me stupid for my comments? :eek:lol: :eek:lol:
Have you ever even watched Larry Bird play? That's rich! You must only remember Bird from the last few years of his career.

Actually his basketball IQ and ability to make those around him better are his strongest points. He is quick and fairly strong in the post but so are lots of other PG's. Nobody was proclaiming him MVP because of his speed, though. It is his mind that makes him a truly special player. When you get to that high of a level of competition everyone is a freakish athlete. It is their intelligence that sets them apart. Thanks for trying to make me look stupid Jizzvol. Hope that works out well for ya.

You have made yourself look stupid, I didn't have to try.

Sure, Sam Cassell, Mark Jackson, Steve Kerr, Jeff Hornacek, John Stockton, Mark Price, Jacque Vaughn just to name a few are all freakish athletes.

You mental giants are the one's that turned it into a comparison between men and women. Congratulations on figuring out that men are usually faster and stronger than women. How long did it take you to realize it? Turn the argument into what you want but the original point was that Candace is tearing up the WNBA and Vol fans should be proud of her. I didn't start making claims that she would dominate the NBA, you guys felt the need to point out that she isn't a MAN!! Candace is very physically gifted and has great basketball skills and IQ. Those are not traits specific to men. Larry Bird would beat CP. Hmmm.....yep that's pretty obvious. Saying that she wouldn't beat high schoolers is flat out wrong. I guess sexism makes it hard to see that a woman could ever compare in any way to a man. BTW, thanks for playing into the typical UT fan stereotype. I guess the Ivy League education didn't change much.

There is another example of you writing something stupid.

You called me stupid for my comments? :eek:lol: :eek:lol:
Have you ever even watched Larry Bird play? That's rich! You must only remember Bird from the last few years of his career.

It's called sarcasm, try googling it after you leave the WNBA's website.

You have made yourself look stupid, I didn't have to try.

Sure, Sam Cassell, Mark Jackson, Steve Kerr, Jeff Hornacek, John Stockton, Mark Price, Jacque Vaughn just to name a few are all freakish athletes.

I love how you come back to my argument with "You are stupid". Also, thanks for proving my point that intelligence sets players apart. All of the players you mentioned are PG warriors who rely more on intelligence/craftiness and not pure athleticism. However, they are all tremendous athletes and are comparable in size to other NBA players at their position. :clapping:

There is another example of you writing something stupid.

There is another example of you being sexist and ignorant. Did you even bother to look at what the initial thread is about? It was about praising a great UT athlete. I love how you guys turned it into a grade school argument that men are better than women. Since you both seem to dislike women so much maybe you and BPV should arrange a meeting. You guys can laugh about how inferior women are to men. It might get a little heated when it comes time to decide which one of you is going to play the role of the woman in your sexist love fest. :wub:

There is another example of you being sexist and ignorant. Did you even bother to look at what the initial thread is about? It was about praising a great UT athlete. I love how you guys turned it into a grade school argument that men are better than women. Since you both seem to dislike women so much maybe you and BPV should arrange a meeting. You guys can laugh about how inferior women are to men. It might get a little heated when it comes time to decide which one of you is going to play the role of the woman in your sexist love fest. :wub:

Actually I'm getting married in a few weeks but you enjoy your summer break watching Cinemax after your parents go to sleep with Rosy and your favorite bottle Jergens.

Actually I'm getting married in a few weeks but you enjoy your summer break watching Cinemax after your parents go to sleep with Rosy and your favorite bottle Jergens.

Awww...jzzvol is that an invite to your and BPV's wedding? I don't think I can make it seeing as that's only legal in MASS and Cali. Butt you guys can invite all of BPV's old college buddies if you have the ceremony in MASS. I'm sure you'd be a beautiful blushing bride in white but no doubt with your slutty past you'll be wearing flaming hot pink. :air_kiss: And to think that I was so rude and didn't invite you to my wedding in December. My wife could have used an extra bridesmaid.

I can't see how you don't understand that saying women's ball has no place on TV is sexist and ignorant! Like I said earlier, there are lots of things that shouldn't be on TV and lot's of sports teams don't turn actual profit. You also seriously think that you would beat the best professional women's basketball player in a game? LOL, that's funny. If you said that about any male professional athlete the whole board would light you up. There are plenty of male sports that are on TV and have no business. To say that one of the premier sports in America shouldn't be on TV because women are playing is :crazy:. What else should sports networks cover this time of year? Baseball?! How is saying that the WNBA should not be on TV not a slight to it and the players? BTW, since when does a sport being profitable legitimize or delegitimize it being viewed?

So much wrong with this post, I don't know where to begin. I shall struggle to make do.

First, none of us has said that women's basketball shouldn't be on tv because we don't like women or because, more precisely, we don't like Candace Parker. I like 'em both. We've said it should not be on tv because it sucks.

Secon, i completely agree with you that there are many men sports that should not be on tv. I believe I mentioned earlier paintball. I don't think it ought ot be on tv, regardless of who is playing it. I also hate weightlifting and fishing and hunting shows. But, even if those shows should not be on tv, that does not make a case for leaving the WNBA on. The WNBA should be off tv because it is a horrible product.

Third, my saying that the WNBA should not be on tv IS a slight to the league and the women who play in it, at least to the extent that they think it should be on tv. I think it should not and I have explained why. Doesn;t mean I don't like Candace Parker as a person and doesn't mean I don't repsect what she has accomplished relative to her collegaues. It does mean that I don't want to watch it.

It is clear to me (and I suspect many others) that you are unable to separate out the intrinsic worth of WNBA players from the product that they put on tv. I think Parker is a great person and really admired her and I am sure that many of her fellow professionals are also great people. I do not begrudge them being who they are or playing the game.

All I'm saying is that the television product is like icycles to the eyes, followed by rubbing paint thinner in them and setting them on fire. Can't you see the distinction?

So much wrong with this post, I don't know where to begin. I shall struggle to make do.

First, none of us has said that women's basketball shouldn't be on tv because we don't like women or because, more precisely, we don't like Candace Parker. I like 'em both. We've said it should not be on tv because it sucks.

Secon, i completely agree with you that there are many men sports that should not be on tv. I believe I mentioned earlier paintball. I don't think it ought ot be on tv, regardless of who is playing it. I also hate weightlifting and fishing and hunting shows. But, even if those shows should not be on tv, that does not make a case for leaving the WNBA on. The WNBA should be off tv because it is a horrible product.

Third, my saying that the WNBA should not be on tv IS a slight to the league and the women who play in it, at least to the extent that they think it should be on tv. I think it should not and I have explained why. Doesn;t mean I don't like Candace Parker as a person and doesn't mean I don't repsect what she has accomplished relative to her collegaues. It does mean that I don't want to watch it.

It is clear to me (and I suspect many others) that you are unable to separate out the intrinsic worth of WNBA players from the product that they put on tv. I think Parker is a great person and really admired her and I am sure that many of her fellow professionals are also great people. I do not begrudge them being who they are or playing the game.

All I'm saying is that the television product is like icycles to the eyes, followed by rubbing paint thinner in them and setting them on fire. Can't you see the distinction?

The entire argument has been that the WNBA is a terrible product! I don't agree and I'm guessing that the players in the league don't agree. It is a different game than mens b-ball with a different focus. Just like the NBA is much different than International ball. I can see the distinction you are making. Can you see the point that singling out the WNBA when so many lousy things are on television seems sexist? Can you also agree that just because you don't like something that maybe it doesn't mean that it should be taken off television. It is selfish to say that because you don't respect or enjoy a sport that other's should not be allowed to view it from the comfort of their home. I love to play baseball and go to baseball games but can't stand to see it on TV, especially when it interrupts something else I want to watch. That doesn't mean I think it should be taken off for nobody to see.

Awww...jzzvol is that an invite to your and BPV's wedding? I don't think I can make it seeing as that's only legal in MASS and Cali. Butt you guys can invite all of BPV's old college buddies if you have the ceremony in MASS. I'm sure you'd be a beautiful blushing bride in white but no doubt with your slutty past you'll be wearing flaming hot pink. :air_kiss: And to think that I was so rude and didn't invite you to my wedding in December. My wife could have used an extra bridesmaid.

:eek:lol: I really am at a loss!

And that might be the weirdest thing I've read.

The entire argument has been that the WNBA is a terrible product! I don't agree and I'm guessing that the players in the league don't agree. It is a different game than mens b-ball with a different focus. Just like the NBA is much different than International ball. I can see the distinction you are making. Can you see the point that singling out the WNBA when so many lousy things are on television seems sexist? Can you also agree that just because you don't like something that maybe it doesn't mean that it should be taken off television. It is selfish to say that because you don't respect or enjoy a sport that other's should not be allowed to view it from the comfort of their home. I love to play baseball and go to baseball games but can't stand to see it on TV, especially when it interrupts something else I want to watch. That doesn't mean I think it should be taken off for nobody to see.

What is the focus of the WNBA?

It's not just a few people that don't like it, it's millions and millions of Americans.

Do you not understand the only reason it is on TV is because the NBA packaged it in the deal with ABC/ESPN.

Why do you think the other professional women's league in the U.S. folded? Because nobody cared, it lost millions and it wasn't backed by the NBA who can support losing millions.

And just for the record that is my future wife with my nephews. all the gay jokes are really funny though, but right about now you are realizing what a lucky man I am!

Attachments

• cjtz halloween.jpg
    cjtz halloween.jpg
    68.8 KB · Views: 2
What is the focus of the WNBA?

It's not just a few people that don't like it, it's millions and millions of Americans.

Do you not understand the only reason it is on TV is because the NBA packaged it in the deal with ABC/ESPN.

Why do you think the other professional women's league in the U.S. folded? Because nobody cared, it lost millions and it wasn't backed by the NBA who can support losing millions.

Then obviously the NBA sees value in it if they prop it up. Could it be that they are trying to invest in creating future female fans of the sport? Maybe women liking the WNBA would help the popularity of the NBA with the fairer sex. If it keeps my wife from complaining for me to turn off the playoffs then it's worth it to me! I don't care who is paying for it to be on air as long as it is not my taxes. Why do you? I've never claimed to be a big WNBA fan and I rarely watch it. However, right is right. Fans of female basketball(however few they may be) have a right to view games and the NBA has a right to prop up the WNBA as it sees fit. I'm guessing that they aren't completely stupid and it will end up paying dividends in the future. There is already a lot more buzz about future female basketball stars than in the past.

And just for the record that is my future wife with my nephews. all the gay jokes are really funny though, but right about now you are realizing what a lucky man I am!

:eek:lol: At the expression on the face of the kid in green! That's priceless! Congrats, on your wedding. It's a little odd that you felt the need to show the pic but your future wife is cute and that's good that you are proud of her.

Two comments.

First, she is waaaaaay too good looking for you.

Second, she is just about right for me.

The entire argument has been that the WNBA is a terrible product!

Correct.

I don't agree and I'm guessing that the players in the league don't agree.

I am sure you are right. I do not see why it matters what the players think of their own league. There's what, maybe 200 of them? So what?

It is a different game than mens b-ball with a different focus. Just like the NBA is much different than International ball.

This is where your argument breaks down. The game may be played differently because of the natural limitations on the skill levels of the WNBA players. But the game is packaged and presented as though it were the same as the NBA. That may be a large part of what is so annoying about it -- it pretends to be something it is not. Not sure how to change that. Not sure that the players and the true believers would want to. But the consequence is that it falls woefully short of what it tries to be.

I can see the distinction you are making. Can you see the point that singling out the WNBA when so many lousy things are on television seems sexist?

Only if you think that any comment that derides a game played by women means that the person making the comment is sexist. Where your argument breaks down is that we aren't criticizing women, or even women's basketball. We are criticizing the product that is put on television as the WNBA. Its not because its women playing it. Its because its bad.

Can you also agree that just because you don't like something that maybe it doesn't mean that it should be taken off television.

Sort of. I can agree that you might like it and that there may be a few thousand others out there that feel like you do. I hope you get to see it as much as you'd like -- in person. But I'll still root for the WNBA to shrivel up and die so I can watch re-runs of the 2001 world series of poker.

It is selfish to say that because you don't respect or enjoy a sport that other's should not be allowed to view it from the comfort of their home.

This is absolutely true. I am being selfish. Your point?

You are being selfish saying what you like. I'm being selfish saying what I like. Now, during a WNBA game on an ESPN channel I happen to have at any given moment probably about 2.5 million people grumbling and agreeing with me whereas you have about 2,000 as happy as you are to watch it.

Eventually, guess who is going to win the practical debate here?

I love to play baseball and go to baseball games but can't stand to see it on TV, especially when it interrupts something else I want to watch. That doesn't mean I think it should be taken off for nobody to see.

I would agree with the theory here, except that the number on my side of the fence when they are showing a WNBA game so outweighs the number on your side during a baseball game.

VN Store

Back