Should we trust Fulmer to make another hire?

DaddyChad

I know some despise Fulmer on here but I personally love the man for what he has done as a coach for this program. That said he’s never been particularly good at hiring assistants. What would lead us to believe he would be good at hiring a head coach? He’s also in over his head it appears in negotiating a contract.

I really think fans just like the idea of a choice other than a puppet to Haslam. But why are we limited to that or Fulmer? As much as I would love to fire Pruitt and get another coach at this point, I really believe we need to get our house in order from the top.

Reactions: Volfan1000
I know some despise Fulmer on here but I personally love the man for what he has done as a coach for this program. That said he’s never been particularly good at hiring assistants. What would lead us to believe he would be good at hiring a head coach? He’s also in over his head it appears in negotiating a contract.

I really think fans just like the idea of a choice other than a puppet to Haslam. But why are we limited to that or Fulmer? As much as I would love to fire Pruitt and get another coach at this point, I really believe we need to get our house in order from the top.
You answered your question.
Never been good at hiring assistants.
Terrible at HC hiring.
NO, NO,NO!
Keep him as a figurehead if you like, tell him who to hire, absolutely do not let him give raises or extensions without approval.

They may trot Fulmer out there to gladhand and smile for the camera and pat the next guy on the back but he will have nothing to do with the next coach if he's still around. He didn't even have anything to do with Rick Barnes contract. They don't even speak to one another. This next football go-round he will just be a figurehead if anything.

Reactions: TartanTurff
Pretty sure Fulmer is hoping Pruitt works out until he retires so Fulmer looks good on the hire. I can hear him telling Pruitt: "come on man, get this program together, I need 3 more yrs to look good then I'm out of here".

Reactions: Myrtleturtle
Absolutely need to keep Phil. Were it not for him we'd have Schiano or, God forbid, Mike Leach as our coach.
Soooo we have Pruitt instead. Like I said we need to step outside of the two bad choices. Get a competent AD that will do his job instead of doing Haslam’s bidding.

Fulmer is incompetent as an AD. Loved him as a coach but he has no business being in charge of an athletic department. Pruitt’s raise proved that.

My god hell no. He needs to be 100 miles away from any discussion on the new coach. In fact...he needs to be fired prior to making a change. Imo you release fulmer right now. Go hire a guy like Blackburn. Allow him to immediately begin putting feelers out there and then release Pruitt as soon as the season is over. Here’s to hoping we have a new administrator and new coaching staff next year. But as a tn fan I should’ve learned by now but to have such lofty expectations. We’ll almost certainly keep fulmer and Pruitt a year or so too long. It’s obvious right now they’ve failed. Why not act now and get out in front of things?

You can listen to Pruitt talk for 60 seconds and realize he’s dumber than a bag of dirt

I know it seems that way but I think it's just his strategy. Exhibit a "country lawyer" persona then use it against you later. No way he isn't brilliant else he wouldn't be in the position he is in. He's a carbon copy of Phil in his best years.

giphy.gif

Reactions: Volfan76
They may trot Fulmer out there to gladhand and smile for the camera and pat the next guy on the back but he will have nothing to do with the next coach if he's still around. He didn't even have anything to do with Rick Barnes contract. They don't even speak to one another. This next football go-round he will just be a figurehead if anything.
This post is correct

He is in over his head!!! Fire both he and Pruitt!!

Reactions: dlravol2

Check out his coaching tree. Cutcliffe....................................................

Reactions: ugg
what part of taking a raise and extension for himself and his worthless coach during a pandemic while asking hard working fans to donate their season ticket money to the program do you not understand this guy is out for Phil Fulmer and no one else?

Hell NO!

No. Fulmer is not capable of reaching the type coaches we will have to attract and then persuade to take the Tennessee job, to become relevant in the SEC East, then in the conference and hopefully on the national stage. Fulmer isn't that relevant or engaged in coaching, Nike, television and business circles. I'm not sure he ever got his degree from Tennessee, he may have finished, beats me.

Fulmer was an anti Haslam appointment from the spooled up public backlash against the Currie hire and an encompassing public backlash against the Haslam driven Schiano hire (yes he signed the memorandum of understanding on Haslam's jet) The anti Haslam movement cost Currie his job and the university $1 million, put Fulmer in the role under the auspices of an interim role and eventually cost Bev "Aunt Edna" Davenport her career as a Chancellor as well. Fulmer did not derail the Schiano hire, the fans and the public did that.

But Fulmer is a divisive figure, not a proven athletics director, with a chip on his shoulder that he was run off campus in 2008, didn't get the athletic director's job on his own and feels he is still owed money for his 1998 national championship and his "equity" in the program. In this context, a head coach that can make a difference at Tennessee will not come, regardless of the amount of money you put in front of them, such that with a Fulmer hire you will get nothing more than potential up and comers, overpriced salaries and insane buyouts.

Ironically, Currie would have done well as an athletic director at Tennessee if he had followed his instincts on the post Butch hire rather than following Haslam's mandate, he had obstacles to overcome from the Frank Martin firing at K State and a difficult reputation as a Doug Dickey like no nonsense, bottom line driven athletic director at K State, but most of those things can be polished over with the right head coach, the right contract and the right amount of money. But to think that Fulmer can restore the football program to a competitive position is the SEC with a head coaching hire is laughable, downright foolish and borderline insanity.

Last edited:
At first I thought that’s what Tennessee needed. Someone who is Tennessee through and through to keep the fat cats away from strong handing another hire. Then the extension happened, and then he gave himself an extension quietly at that. Now I just want to clean house. Eat the money and start over and hopefully get someone who makes games worth watching again.

You answered your question.
Never been good at hiring assistants.
Terrible at HC hiring.
NO, NO,NO!
Keep him as a figurehead if you like, tell him who to hire, absolutely do not let him give raises or extensions without approval.
Your last line is what got us in trouble anyways. Haslams wanted Pruitt and that is our problem. We weren't at a place talent wise when we hired him to hire a big name as it was between Mike Leech, Pruitt, and Schiano and none of those guys have proved anything this year. Yes Leech has put up points but he can't stop others from doing so (remember Dooley yrs). Schiano- well we have more wins than he does. So our choice right now is to have Pruitt and hopefully he can stock the cupboard for the next coach to come in and win.

VN Store

Back