Should we be happy?

hahat what.. we are 58-57 over the past 9yrs, we have lost 4 of our last 6 to vanderbit, have lost to UK twice which is more than the previous 30yrs combined, we're going on our 5th coach in 10yrs, we just had the worst season in program history, and we currently have a losing record to every team in the sec to name just a few, but not all, of the shat we've gone through... if that isn't a complete disaster then what exactly would you consider a disaster?

those 9 win butch season were dead cat bounces. vols charted performance since all time high in 98 has been in a steep decline since 04. hopefully we are at the bottom. nowhere to go but up

Understand what has happened.

Davenport directed John Currie to hire a coach.

He admittedly was sabotaged all along the way.

He went out and hired Mike Leach.

Before he could get him back to Knoxville, he was called back himself and fired.

Fulmer took over his job after being in Davenport's ear for the past few months.

Draw your own conclusions, but I would rather have Mike Leach as our football coach than Phil Fulmer as our acting AD!

ASK JOHNNY MAJORS ABOUT PHIL FULMER!

Reactions: 3 people
I'm actually being serious. I have no damn clue any more. I thought I was going to be happy when we got a new coach. I thought there was no way Tennessee could fubar this up.

Boy was I wrong.

I honestly have pretty much checked out. I haven't had the stomach for the last few days. I am ready for the nightmare to end.

Fulmer? Is this a good thing? Please someone tell me if I should be happy.

Well it can’t be worse than it has been. If you want Tee Martin as the HC then you will be happy. It seems likely that he is Fulmers guy. He doesn’t have the resume of some of the other available candidates, but he is a TN guy and has been pretty successful this far. So you shouldn’t be ecstatic, but you should be able to stop self medicating now.

People need to brace themselves, the hire may be underwhelming. Our program has been severely damaged and it can't be fixed overnight and possibly not with one hire. There are bigger issues at play here and many things still have to be worked out

Do any of you people who follow college football really believe Tee Martin could win a championship. Let me take a wild guess and say you want the whole gang back and since they helped win a championship in 1998 they can repeat this same thing as coaches. WOW! How delusional is that? Hate to burst your bubble but you are living in a fantasy world. You honestly believe Tee Martin could beat Saban, Mullen, Jimbo Fisher, Smart or Kiffin. Yes, Kiffin will go somewhere and it may be in the SEC. He may even go to Florida State. He's that GOOD! So we go back to GOALS. Championships! Is Fulmer really the one to lead us to the promise land using the old ideologies that are still implanted in his mind and heart. Let's hope he's open-minded enough to see all the talent out there and make a wise choice. Texas A & M made a statement. They want to WIN and they feel they have hired the best coach to get them there and they paid him 7.5 million dollars for 10 years. Look at his resume. What will TN do to get us to the promise land? In defense of Currie, he was hired to seek out a coach and it became a mess. However, he was out doing what he was hired to do and what was Fulmer doing? Was Fulmer under minding Currie just to get the AD job. Where's the leadership at UT? Honestly, I see absolutely nothing and UT's future and goals are in question. Don't forget GOALS and a winning STRATEGY when you chose UT next football, coach.

Reactions: 3 people
Short term I’m sad that Leach probably isn’t going to happen.

But. Long term I think having one of our own as AD was what we needed. I have faith we will bring in someone who can get this turned around.

Absolutely. I also would have loved to have seen Leach brought in, but this is a long term issue with a lot of things that need to be ironed out, and it won't happen overnight or even probably in the next 2-3 years.

Fulmer needs to hire a solid, stabilizing type of coach (Cutcliffe w/ Tee Martin as OC??) who will get the program back to being where it should be, as a perennial winner and conference title threat. He'll need to own Tennessee recruiting-wise and expand the recruiting base, making UT a favored destination again for recruits.

Last edited:
You should be happy. Even if someone here has questions about the hire, TN has done a smart thing in giving prospective coaches a brighter, cleaner vision of what coaching at TN might look like. As it was, with all the Currie debacles, coaches had no idea who might be there boss in one month, never mind three or four years. Now the future looks more secure..

Reactions: 1 person
Absolutely. I also would have loved to have seen Leach brought in, but this is a long term issue with a lot of things that need to be ironed out, and it won't happen overnight or even probably in the next 2-3 years.

Fulmer needs to hire a solid, stabilizing type of coach (Cutcliffe w/ Tee Martin as OC??) who will get the program back to being where it should be, as a perennial winner and conference title threat. He'll need to own Tennessee recruiting-wise and expand the recruiting base, making UT a favored destination again for recruits.

This is all going to take some time, but hopefully the good guys have finally taken control and will eradicate the cancer completely.

Stability is the most overrated thing in sports. We need good performance more than stability. We just had 5 years of Butch Jones.

Do any of you people who follow college football really believe Tee Martin could win a championship. Let me take a wild guess and say you want the whole gang back and since they helped win a championship in 1998 they can repeat this same thing as coaches. WOW! How delusional is that? Hate to burst your bubble but you are living in a fantasy world. You honestly believe Tee Martin could beat Saban, Mullen, Jimbo Fisher, Smart or Kiffin. Yes, Kiffin will go somewhere and it may be in the SEC. He may even go to Florida State. He's that GOOD! So we go back to GOALS. Championships! Is Fulmer really the one to lead us to the promise land using the old ideologies that are still implanted in his mind and heart. Let's hope he's open-minded enough to see all the talent out there and make a wise choice. Texas A & M made a statement. They want to WIN and they feel they have hired the best coach to get them there and they paid him 7.5 million dollars for 10 years. Look at his resume. What will TN do to get us to the promise land? In defense of Currie, he was hired to seek out a coach and it became a mess. However, he was out doing what he was hired to do and what was Fulmer doing? Was Fulmer under minding Currie just to get the AD job. Where's the leadership at UT? Honestly, I see absolutely nothing and UT's future and goals are in question. Don't forget GOALS and a winning STRATEGY when you chose UT next football, coach.

HEY PEOPLE

THIS IS THE WAY WE ALL SHOULD BE THINKING!

Reactions: 2 people
Stability is the most overrated thing in sports. We need good performance more than stability. We just had 5 years of Butch Jones.

I don't disagree at all, but right at this moment some stability has to be a good thing. UT has become a national punchline and that can't possibly be good for recruiting or finding a home run hire as coach.

I don't disagree at all, but right at this moment some stability has to be a good thing. UT has become a national punchline and that can't possibly be good for recruiting or finding a home run hire as coach.

The good thing about Fulmer is coaches will have a higher opinion of the UT job. Coaches respect hall of fame coaches.

Fulmer will have a way bigger pool than Currie did.

I disagree that the last 9 years have been a disaster. 9-4 season is not a disaster and finishing with a blowout bowl win is certainly not. Of course we want more...and deserve it...and we blew some games but 9-4 and a good bowl win is not some total failure. Let's be real.

But...this past season was an all time low point for sure.

Historically low point

I’m a baseball guy. And when you strike out ten times in a row, you don’t need to swing for a homerun. You just need to get on base.

fulmer is a slug. always has been, always will be. we just gave the keys to the guy who ran us into the ditch. has there ever been a fired coach who was hired as the ad? could be another first. only at tn would you fire a guy then hire him to essentially replace himself. unbelievable.

That's my biggest fear, because I've always been of the belief that it was Fulmer who started the slide, even though Kiffin was a convenient fall guy. And if he's been even partially responsible for turning this into a national joke with all the leaks, that's a major red flag.

My hope, and all we obviously have is hope, is that he makes a competent hire to get this thing back on solid ground. I'm not too thrilled with the idea that he might have been behind a Doeren hire but against Leach.

You should be happy. Even if someone here has questions about the hire, TN has done a smart thing in giving prospective coaches a brighter, cleaner vision of what coaching at TN might look like. As it was, with all the Currie debacles, coaches had no idea who might be there boss in one month, never mind three or four years. Now the future looks more secure..

You kidding.

With an "ACTING" AD

They will want to know who their real boss will be!

Not just the acting guy who hired them!

i don't get it!
Please tell me what it is

I dunno. Do you trust the guy who picked these two pick the next? That's what was happening.
Fulmer ain't perfect, and Vol Nation is so fickle, nobody can agree on anything here. I mean Vince Lombardi would be mocked here if he was a) alive and b) our next coach.
I really don't care what you feel about Fulmer. The "Other people" in charge were gonna screw it up.

Get it now?

Attachments

• next_up.jpg
    next_up.jpg
    56 KB · Views: 0
Be happy we didn't get Schiano rammed down our throats Sunday. Be happy Doeren said No. Be happy Currie can't bury our program.

Everything else is debatable I guess.

In the really long-term view, I guess we should be happy. Fulmer's actually hire should tell us if we should be happy short-term.

I personally WAS happy that we were going to hire Leach. I think he would have done a phenomenal job here, at least in the short term. Would he have been that person that would be a great ambassador for our program, I don't know...but I believe we would have won a lot of games.

VN Store

Back