Should Tennessee match UCLA's reported $5 million offer?

Should Tennessee match UCLA's reported $5 million offer?

• Total voters
Nope. It' going to be another 2-3 years before we get the roster back up to championship speed if...if...recruiting goes as expected. Now that Barnes has been tempted by another, I'm sure recruits will question his commitment to UT going forward. At this point, I don't see the benefit. We're going to be struggling no matter what. I'd rather not be paying $5 mil per year to endure it. Let him go and I'll take my chances with a younger, up and comer.

As a FAN, I now question his commitment. $5 million is a lot of money for a basketball coach. If he hadn't made this move, I would say do it, but now I am on the fence, and voted "No."

You could get a pretty good replacement for quite a bit less than $5 million. So, now would not be a terrible time to switch, if we are having to make the decision.

It is not Barne's fault if Bone and Williams leave. So, I am not going to blame one down season on him. If they do leave though, I'm not seeing any leaders on the team except Turner. Maybe Fulkerson could step up a bit, with a great off-season. Maybe Freshman James is a leader, but that is usually not ideal.

Reactions: VolAllen
Let the Haslams do something that actually BENEFITS Tennessee athletics. Pony up the money and KEEP Barnes.
It’s not about not having the money, it’s about Barnes being worth that kind of cash and he really isn’t. You think he’s the third best coach in the country?

As a FAN, I now question his commitment. $5 million is a lot of money for a basketball coach. If he hadn't made this move, I would say do it, but now I am on the fence, and voted "No."

You could get a pretty good replacement for quite a bit less than $5 million. So, now would not be a terrible time to switch, if we are having to make the decision.

It is not Barne's fault if Bone and Williams leave. So, I am not going to blame one down season on him. If they do leave though, I'm not seeing any leaders on the team except Turner. Maybe Fulkerson could step up a bit, with a great off-season. Maybe Freshman James is a leader, but that is usually not ideal.

I’m being serious here. Name any coach who is better that Tennessee could certainly land.

It’s not about not having the money, it’s about Barnes being worth that kind of cash and he really isn’t. You think he’s the third best coach in the country?

I kinda look at it like this. I agree he’s not a top 3-5 coach. But UCLA is willing to pay that because he’s proven he can get it done, and do it the right way.

The way I see it, Barnes is a top 15-20 type coach, it’s about how much Fulmer thinks it’s worth. He is a veteran coach, don’t have to worry about scandals, don’t have to coddle and the team has always played hard.

If he goes to Westwood, who do you get? Can you sure fire get a top 15 type coach, who is gonna want the same things Barnes wants?

Only Phil knows the answer to that I reckon.

I kinda look at it like this. I agree he’s not a top 3-5 coach. But UCLA is willing to pay that because he’s proven he can get it done, and do it the right way.

The way I see it, Barnes is a top 15-20 type coach, it’s about how much Fulmer thinks it’s worth. He is a veteran coach, don’t have to worry about scandals, don’t have to coddle and the team has always played hard.

If he goes to Westwood, who do you get? Can you sure fire get a top 15 type coach, who is gonna want the same things Barnes wants?

Only Phil knows the answer to that I reckon.
Really good response honestly.

I’m being serious here. Name any coach who is better that Tennessee could certainly land.

There are never (or almost never) any guarantees, but Texas Tech's coach makes 2.8. Wouldn't he be tempted by 4 to 4.5?

I think it is a moot point, but maybe it answers your question.

There are never (or almost never) any guarantees, but Texas Tech's coach makes 2.8. Wouldn't he be tempted by 4 to 4.5?

I think it is a moot point, but maybe it answers your question.

Prob would be.......but the problem comes with the “probably”

Reactions: i2amavol
How can you generate $55M in profit from football and basketball yet LOSE over $50M in all other sports when women’s basketball only lost $2.3M
Most of our sports generate little to no revenue at all.

Nope. It' going to be another 2-3 years before we get the roster back up to championship speed if...if...recruiting goes as expected. Now that Barnes has been tempted by another, I'm sure recruits will question his commitment to UT going forward. At this point, I don't see the benefit. We're going to be struggling no matter what. I'd rather not be paying $5 mil per year to endure it. Let him go and I'll take my chances with a younger, up and comer.

We've had enough of the up and comer's. Pay him and his assistants for their commitment to UT.

VN Store

Back