Should Separate Records Be Kept In Comparing Wins?

Should Pat's wins be compared with the men's game?

• Total voters
This thread sucks.

I see your point, but changing people's minds isn't even the point of this thread. We are just expressing our opinions. You do not have to participate.

:)

Expressing your opinion is cool. To me, it just came across as people trying to get others to change their way of thinking which gets on my nerves.

The debate points were good... But I was not here when it happened, so I was not in the heat of things, but reading through it just gave me some bad vibes is all. Especially the idea that "Pat will go underappreciated and it's ESPN's fault."

Seems like this is a sensitive subject for some people. In cases like that, people want to look at differing opinon as attacking their own.

Originally posted by milohimself@Mar 23, 2005 3:10 PM
This thread sucks.

How about people let other people think of it how they want to? I don't care about it one way or the other. So what if ESPN analysts say that Summitt is still a notch below Smith? That's like arguing that Wilt Chamberlain and Julius Evring were not as great as Michael Jordan. So? They're all amazing players. It's a crappy point of debate, and at the end of the day, nobody is going to change their minds.

Whats the point of a message board if we cant express and debate our opinions?

Originally posted by LadyinOrange@Mar 23, 2005 2:59 PM
This thread sucks.

I see your point, but changing people's minds isn't even the point of this thread. We are just expressing our opinions. You do not have to participate.

:)

finally lio u are using that power that u have.

let him have it.

:spank: :spank: :spank: :spank: :spank:

sorry milo. its just me being funny. no offense

by the way u jumping milo,lio, is going against what u said to him, kinda. because he was expressing his opinion to. just saying. :peace:

:lol: Like I said, I have no problem with expressing opinion. I was just getting vibes that some parts were crossing the line between good-natured debate and "you're an idiot and here's why" type debate. I'm not gonna point any fingers but that's just what I felt.

Originally posted by checkerboard_charly@Mar 23, 2005 5:03 PM

by the way u jumping milo,lio, is going against what u said to him, kinda. because he was expressing his opinion to. just saying. :peace:

Milo, if my post came across as "jumping you", I want to tell you right now I didn't mean it that way. I added a :) at the end of my post so you would know I was just
answering back, not yelling. Please forgive me if my post upset, hurt, or offended you in ANY way.

Originally posted by milohimself@Mar 23, 2005 2:00 PM
To me, it just came across as people trying to get others to change their way of thinking which gets on my nerves.

Well, milo, everybody CAN'T be right. If a person's way of thinking is obviously harmful or wrong ( such as ANY UConn fan :shakehead: ) I see no harm in trying to show them the light.

Originally posted by checkerboard_charly@Mar 22, 2005 7:58 PM
sorry

i will punish myself for being dumb. :bash:

Charly, that post made me laugh out loud for real.

:dlol:

Originally posted by LadyinOrange+Mar 23, 2005 4:25 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (LadyinOrange @ Mar 23, 2005 4:25 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-milohimself@Mar 23, 2005 2:00 PM
To me, it just came across as people trying to get others to change their way of thinking which gets on my nerves.

Well, milo, everybody CAN&#39;T be right. If a person&#39;s way of thinking is obviously harmful or wrong ( such as ANY UConn fan :shakehead: ) I see no harm in trying to show them the light. [/quote]
Well, I think as far as this debate goes, it&#39;s all opinion so there is no wrong or right. Both sides are well-informed and have reasonable opinions. What nobody will dispute is that Pat Summitt is a great coach, and still one of the better coaches the game has seen. It&#39;s just that the competition faced in women&#39;s basketball is really less, because there truthfully is less talent, and most of the good coaches out there tend to coach men&#39;s basketball rather than women&#39;s.

It goes both ways, but I am just of the opinion that Pat Summitt is a great coach.

Originally posted by milohimself@Mar 23, 2005 6:32 PM
It goes both ways, but I am just of the opinion that Pat Summitt is a great coach.

You won&#39;t hear any argument from me. ;)

Did you faint?

what ticked me off is, this morning on Sportscenter, stacy dales schumann and some dude(don&#39;t remember his name, just another espn lacky) had the debate about whether pat should be included with dean smith. stacy said she thought she should and that you can&#39;t diminish what pat ahs done because she coaches women. of course the lacky didn&#39;t agree. then he raised the question whther pat could coach men(since that seems to be the only way you can be a successful d1 coach in espn&#39;s eyes) and he said he didn&#39;t think she could because men&#39;s basketball needs men to coach because they have more experince in helping them turn from boys to men, or something to that effect. so i thought, if that&#39;s his argument, then why is geno coaching women?

I&#39;m off to church. I&#39;ll read and catch up on this thread when I get home.

Y&#39;all play nice, now.

We don&#39;t compare Olympic records in one category. We don&#39;t compile Golf records into one gender category. We don&#39;t compile Tennis Grand Slam titles into one category. Men&#39;s records and Women&#39;s records are seperate and distinct. End of story. :banghead:

Originally posted by rockytops36@Mar 23, 2005 8:35 PM
what ticked me off is, this morning on Sportscenter, stacy dales schumann and some dude(don&#39;t remember his name, just another espn lacky) had the debate about whether pat should be included with dean smith. stacy said she thought she should and that you can&#39;t diminish what pat ahs done because she coaches women. of course the lacky didn&#39;t agree. then he raised the question whther pat could coach men(since that seems to be the only way you can be a successful d1 coach in espn&#39;s eyes) and he said he didn&#39;t think she could because men&#39;s basketball needs men to coach because they have more experince in helping them turn from boys to men, or something to that effect. so i thought, if that&#39;s his argument, then why is geno coaching women?

Michael Wilbon made a great point on PTI today when the topic of Coach Summitt coaching the men.

A lot of college basketball players grow up in a single parent household, they&#39;re used to having a woman as their authority figure and used to hearinga womans voice of discipline. The idea that Coach Summitt wont be able to recruit because she&#39;s a woman is pure farce, she is a great coach no matter what gender it is and she&#39;ll be able to to bring in recruits to play for her still, mens or womens side.

Milo, I tend to agree with you and others in this thread that I don&#39;t see why it matters one way or the other. She has the most wins in the women&#39;s game and he has the most in the men&#39;s. If you choose to combine the games then she has more wins that&#39;s a fact but you can&#39;t argue who is better because they are different games. I guess it makes for good message board chatter.

:dunno:

Originally posted by vol_freak@Mar 23, 2005 7:01 PM
Milo, I tend to agree with you and others in this thread that I don&#39;t see why it matters one way or the other. She has the most wins in the women&#39;s game and he has the most in the men&#39;s. If you choose to combine the games then she has more wins that&#39;s a fact but you can&#39;t argue who is better because they are different games. I guess it makes for good message board chatter.

That&#39;s the whole argument some folks have, though. Alot of folks (some stated here) think it is NOT a different game. Hence the bebate.

Originally posted by orangetd88+Mar 24, 2005 2:56 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (orangetd88 @ Mar 24, 2005 2:56 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-vol_freak@Mar 23, 2005 7:01 PM

That&#39;s the whole argument some folks have, though. Alot of folks (some stated here) think it is NOT a different game. Hence the bebate. [/quote]
If basketball is basketball, then she&#39;s not the winningest college coach ever. She&#39;s the winningest women&#39;s college b-ball coach.

She&#39;s a great coach and it&#39;s a tremendous accomplishment. Is it equal to Dean Smith? Sort of, I guess. They are different games and as such, no right or wrong answer exists. Apples to oranges.

So what is everyone going to think when Summit puts up 1500 wins and a ridiculous amount of tournament bids and NC&#39;s? Then would she be worthy? :shakehead:

Originally posted by Orangewhiteblood@Mar 23, 2005 11:52 PM
So what is everyone going to think when Summit puts up 1500 wins and a ridiculous amount of tournament bids and NC&#39;s? Then would she be worthy? :shakehead:

Only if she coached a MEN&#39;S team.

Said in a voice DRIPPING with sarcasm.

VN Store

Back