Should I Abandon My Fanhood?

Should I Abandon BYU?

• Total voters

n_huffhines

What's it gonna cost?
My 2nd favorite college team has been BYU but I'm tired of rooting for them. It's not really about them being bad this year, because they've mostly been good since I've been a fan. Here are the circumstances:

- My Dad went to the U of Utah, so I grew up sort of rooting for BYU's rival
- I went to BYU for 2 years but I ended up graduating elsewhere
- I was not interested in being a BYU fan until I became friends with players. Those players have been gone for years.
- I no longer am supportive of the Mormon church
- I am now a big opponent of the honor code at BYU*
- I have come to the realization that as long as BYU tries to maintain a strict honor code they will never contend for a national title
- BYU isn't even going to play Utah for the next few years...the only game that matters in their otherwise insignificant season

I'll always want them to do well, but I'm wondering what people think about me divesting myself. It's painful to care about them, especially when Tennessee affords me all the college sports misery I need. Are these legitimate reasons for dumping a team (2nd favorite team, mind you)?

*And no, I didn't depart BYU for honor code violations. It was to work. I was a model citizen at BYU.

BYU and California are tied up 35 all (9:17 4th Qtr)

How does that make you feel?

BYU and California are tied up 35 all (9:17 4th Qtr)

How does that make you feel?

That's the thing...if they win, I won't really feel anything and if they lose I'll be mad. It's a terrible risk/reward with them. It was fun beating up on Texas but Texas sucks.

When they went independent they got rid a lot of the fun rivalries and didn't replace them with a strong schedule. At least when we beat Wyoming it was fun cause those were our neighbors and they hated us so much that I drank their tears with every victory.

Sounds like it. ....I think you could be a fan of 2 teams when you have an established link to consider.

I root for Memphis when it doesn't affect UT. I don't have any Memphis gear to speak of but many of my friends and family root for Memphis so it's hard to not want to see them happy.

...occasionally.

Reactions: 1 person
I see no reason to continue "liking" them.

I dont agree with their "honor code" either.

My 2nd favorite college team has been BYU but I'm tired of rooting for them. It's not really about them being bad this year, because they've mostly been good since I've been a fan. Here are the circumstances:

- My Dad went to the U of Utah, so I grew up sort of rooting for BYU's rival
- I went to BYU for 2 years but I ended up graduating elsewhere
- I was not interested in being a BYU fan until I became friends with players. Those players have been gone for years.
- I no longer am supportive of the Mormon church
- I am now a big opponent of the honor code at BYU*
- I have come to the realization that as long as BYU tries to maintain a strict honor code they will never contend for a national title
- BYU isn't even going to play Utah for the next few years...the only game that matters in their otherwise insignificant season

I'll always want them to do well, but I'm wondering what people think about me divesting myself. It's painful to care about them, especially when Tennessee affords me all the college sports misery I need. Are these legitimate reasons for dumping a team (2nd favorite team, mind you)?

*And no, I didn't depart BYU for honor code violations. It was to work. I was a model citizen at BYU.

Keep rooting for the Cougars! I'm not a Mormon and i've been a BYU fan since 1983.

This isn't a political affiliation. You shouldn't be able to have this debate with yourself. Either you are a fan or you aren't. So you're either fooling yourself pretending you're still a fan or you're fooling yourself by wanting to quit. Or perhaps you've never really understood what it means to be a fan of anything to this point.

I will always be a fan of the BYU Cougars just like i'm a fan of the Tennessee Volunteers and the Georgia Tech Yellow Jackets. Today's Miami Beach Bowl hurt but i'll be ready to root for them against Nebraska to open the 2015 season. Keep on rooting for BYU,Huffhines!

Just do it. Quit thinking too much. You don't like them don't support them and are no longer anywhere near being a fan. Time to cap our get off the pot

VN Store

Back