Should fans be communicating with recruits?

Should fans be communicating with potential recruits?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
It's really quiet when we put ourselves on ignore. How long until we come off?

Until we finally get the delayed sequel to A Quiet Place released.

Or until they give Elmer's shotgun back.

Until then, it's like Bullets Over Broadway.

Shhh...don't speak....

I voted no but did not find either of the “no” options representative of my reasoning. My reasoning for no is that as a parent of a young woman I would not want her being contacted by any adult that I did not know. Maybe overprotective but don’t mess with mother bear. Too many folks with bad intentions on social media. Not saying fans who reach out are suspect but honestly why put yourself, the student athlete or their parents in the position to have to monitor contacts.
An interesting add on question is - has social media been a net positive or negative for society?

Reactions: Pride85 and glv98
This thread made me think of another question I have, and I think its related; if off topic I apologize in advance.

Some of the contact we're talking about with recruits and parents is apparently to offer up private coaching services. What is the rule about accepting outside coaching or mentoring? I'm sure there are team rules about it, also there's the thorny question of when outside coaching becomes a booster benefit.

Not sure if staffs could legally prohibit outside coaching tho I imagine they'd like to. Lots of students get independent tutoring in math, etc. so not sure this would be that different. I remember hearing the Vol quarterback had some famous outside coach during the off season.
I just wondered what the rules are about such services.

An interesting add on question is - has social media been a net positive or negative for society?

Absolutely negative. The benefits of the internet came from the earlier openness of information and ability to converse across any boundary -- age, experience, interest, location, language, the internet obliterated those barriers. The older internet was one where you paid for access, not for content. Once the companies moved in and monetized that content, drove out the hobbyists, and found ways to profit off the users themselves, it became (and still is today) a cesspool.

I voted no to contact as there are to many ways for this to go wrong. I don’t trust anyone who wants to communicate with a young person with no ties to them. i understand there are exceptions but that is another situation but for someone to contact a recruit there is no ”Good” reason for it so why do it. I can only see some type of negative effect if this become acceptable. I cannot imagine what would be a legit, and positive reason for me to reach out to a young person and communicate with them without parents, coaches, and or clergy if applicable. I believe we should treat others as we would like to be treated and I would not want and adult with no ties to me and my child to communicate with my offspring. WHY?

Honey, I would put a stop to it so fast it make their head spin. It is beyond unacceptable in my opinion. The problem is... some parents don’t. And I’ll just let you think on that one....

It would seem to me that any business arrangement would be through parents or guardians and not with the recruit so there should be no reason to contact the recruit unless they are trying to work a back door angle or develop insider help. It is the parents who must be contacted by private coaches. If they want their daughter to get additional lessons, they must do their due diligence to ensure credibility. The university needs to be engaged by the parents or guardians to provide information as well.

Reactions: JustaChicken

VN Store

Back