Should fans be communicating with recruits?

Should fans be communicating with potential recruits?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Further, I saw a video of a kid shooting threes and retweeted it on my site,,,,She responded to the retweet with a thank you, I DMed her and asked for her parent to DM me back, her mom did,,,now that girl's name is in front of the likes of exposure coaches, and anyone who follows mt account on twitter,,,that girl just put out another video that I retweeted in which she does a timed shooting drill and see how many 3's she can make in one minute,,,she hits 16 out of 20....this girl is a rising 9th grader. She and her family are thankful for the exposure I have given to/for her.

This is her recent video

Maddie has worked very hard for many years. I've never seen a girl as young as she was when I first became aware of her 6 or 7 years ago or maybe further back, with the dedication she has. I hope she can realize her dream. Her little sisters are playing now. Wonder who will be the best in the family?

Reactions: EarlVolFan
I dont think people would talk to recruits that age I think people start communicating and even commenting when they are in their junior year and they start putting out list of their top schools. 8th and 9th grade is WAAAAYYY to early
Yet on this site there are threads for 2023 and 2024 kids. That’s this aau seasons 9th and 8th graders! If they are being talked about and names being mentioned who is to say somebody is not already trying to chat with them.

My two cents, not that it's what many think.

I tend to believe that even before modern technology made communication so abundant and immediate recruits often had numerous conversations with family, coaches, friends, loved ones and potentially fans of programs about where they "should" go and why it would be the best for them. Many adults couldn't fathom nor would have had the gumption to call the landline phone of a recruit's parents and try to speak with the family or student about what any program is doing or not doing.

Today's numerous opportunities for interaction make it much more difficult for adults or kids to set any boundaries. Younger athletes have several platforms to communicate with anyone across the world they choose and their phones are now constantly attached to their hands, creating the sense the student athlete has their own world and by creating a public profile has given automatic permission for anyone to reach out to them.

Personally I would never speak with a family and especially not the student athlete about the recruiting process unless it was a very, very close relative or friend and I believe that adults need to better adhere to those boundaries even if that communication isn't exactly illegal in the eyes of the NCAA or the school. These young people already have enough distractions and temptations as they navigate the experience. I say let the student invite who they want into the process and then perhaps engage only when asked.

Maddie has worked very hard for many years. I've never seen a girl as young as she was when I first became aware of her 6 or 7 years ago or maybe further back, with the dedication she has. I hope she can realize her dream. Her little sisters are playing now. Wonder who will be the best in the family?

The whole family is great, Mom, Audrey is behind the camera, Dad and brother,(who is soon to be going into the Air Force) is rebounding and one of her two little sisters is behind the goal (I am pretty sure that is little sis)...

THIS is what separates me from "general populous" as far as the subject matter of this thread...I am a coach, it is what I do.

It is not the out front and public person like me who you worry about. Yes, this thread is more about contacting recruits, I get that, and am taking it in deep consideration. But some of you are turning it into another more disgusting side and I have to ask, why?...Its not the adult who looks an athlete "head to toe" that you worry about, its the adult who looks at an athlete "toe to head" that should concern you.

The Hawks girl, according to her tweet page, has already been in contact with coach Harper, and several other D1 coaches....Seems like it would be best for you to leave this one alone.

Coach, as your friend, please find out from your before mentioned reliable source, what is your correct classification, booster or not a booster....

I have a bad feeling about all of this...

My two cents, not that it's what many think.

I tend to believe that even before modern technology made communication so abundant and immediate recruits often had numerous conversations with family, coaches, friends, loved ones and potentially fans of programs about where they "should" go and why it would be the best for them. Many adults couldn't fathom nor would have had the gumption to call the landline phone of a recruit's parents and try to speak with the family or student about what any program is doing or not doing.

Today's numerous opportunities for interaction make it much more difficult for adults or kids to set any boundaries. Younger athletes have several platforms to communicate with anyone across the world they choose and their phones are now constantly attached to their hands, creating the sense the student athlete has their own world and by creating a public profile has given automatic permission for anyone to reach out to them.

Personally I would never speak with a family and especially not the student athlete about the recruiting process unless it was a very, very close relative or friend and I believe that adults need to better adhere to those boundaries even if that communication isn't exactly illegal in the eyes of the NCAA or the school. These young people already have enough distractions and temptations as they navigate the experience. I say let the student invite who they want into the process and then perhaps engage only when asked.
Exactly. Great post.
Many adults couldn't fathom nor would have had the gumption to call the landline phone of a recruit's parents and try to speak with the family or student about what any program is doing or not doing.
Good point. The anonymity of the internet. Unfortunately, there are those that can fathom and do have the gumption. I believe they are far, far more a hindrance than a help to recruiting.

Reactions: 1reVOLver
The Hawks girl, according to her tweet page, has already been in contact with coach Harper, and several other D1 coaches....Seems like it would be best for you to leave this one alone.

Coach, as your friend, please find out from your before mentioned reliable source, what is your correct classification, booster or not a booster....

I have a bad feeling about all of this...
I will check it out

But not to worry GT,,,no mention of TN has been made between me and Madi or Audrey, only that I would retweet her workouts and would get her name out there to some exposure coaches in her area...no line crossed, not even close.

But I will check it out if the person I am trying to meet with will give me the opportunity

But some of you are turning it into another more disgusting side and I have to ask, why?..
Because the one side so easily and often turns into the other. Can't believe this is news to anyone, but when adult men contact young women they don't know for any purpose they are on very shaky ground. Makes it tough to legitimately market oneself to that clientele I know, but that's the way it is.

Back to the topic, the fact that ground is so shaky also makes the attempts at personal contact a real problem to recruiting in many cases.

Because the one side so easily and often turns into the other. Can't believe this is news to anyone, but when adult men contact young women they don't know for any purpose they are on very shaky ground. Makes it tough to legitimately market oneself to that clientele I know, but that's the way it is.

Back to the topic, the fact that ground is so shaky also makes the attempts at personal contact a real problem to recruiting in many cases.

I won't even respond to you glv, you are a hater for me and until we pass that nothing you say matters

Reactions: the_great_pumpkin
Not personal. Never personal. That's the difference in us as posters.
until I know that is true,
it isn't and right now every post you make is adversarial to me.

Amb and I made a step and I hope to continue to progress...But you, and 376 have been thorns in my side for the duration and until I don't feel "pricked" by you two, I will read but ignore what you two say.

Reactions: LadyVols_WBK
Depends. I ran into Ms Key several times just walking around area at halfs, bad back here, but she seemed to be just strolling and taking in everything alone. We smiles as nearing each other and I politely ask if she was indeed herself. She smile said yes, I said well I hope you enjoy second half, sure hope you like Tennessee we really need you. To me that is polite, East TN no one you smile at stays a stranger. Second time was another game, I saw her at over half games wondering arena alone, but only chatted with her a second time as we were both in concessions line, we waved, and I said travel safely, and have a great rest of season, she said thank you, hoping to also. I didn't call her out as to who she was an cause an embarrassment or uncomfortable situation, nor did I interrupt her on phone or with anybody else. Doing either of last too is rude and out of bounds. She is very polite, and a high school girl. She is 6',3" maybe, and lean top to feet. She is a 3 or a 2, not a 4, but she might prove me wrong. She looks extremely athletic, in a cordination, quickness sort of way. A thinner version of Davis build.

Reactions: LadyVols_WBK
I will check it out

But not to worry GT,,,no mention of TN has been made between me and Madi or Audrey, only that I would retweet her workouts and would get her name out there to some exposure coaches in her area...no line crossed, not even close.

But I will check it out if the person I am trying to meet with will give me the opportunity

Jumper, I'm not looking to argue so I don't want you to take this the wrong way, but Madi Hawk is a perfect example She's a high profile basketball recruit with over 3,500 Twitter followers, including coaching staff from quite a few SEC and D1 programs and I'm sure a whole slew of AAU teams that would die to have her on their team. She has about 100x as many Twitter followers as you do, so truly does she really need your help with improving her exposure? Not saying at all you're crossing the lines that some have suggested here about older men and teenage girls, but simply from the standpoint of wanting to help a kid with exposure.

Jumper, I'm not looking to argue so I don't want you to take this the wrong way, but Madi Hawk is a perfect example She's a high profile basketball recruit with over 3,500 Twitter followers, including coaching staff from quite a few SEC and D1 programs and I'm sure a whole slew of AAU teams that would die to have her on their team. She has about 100x as many Twitter followers as you do, so truly does she really need your help with improving her exposure? Not saying at all you're crossing the lines that some have suggested here about older men and teenage girls, but simply from the standpoint of wanting to help a kid with exposure.

are you reading what you're writing? I am one of 3500 followers? 3500 read it again 3500.

Last edited:

VN Store

Back