Should fans be communicating with recruits?

Should fans be communicating with potential recruits?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I have mixed emotions. I don’t see anything wrong in attending one of their games and wearing a Lady Vol shirt but, I don’t believe there should be a lot of communication for fear of breaking a NCAA rule. When we start beating the big guys again regularly I have a sneaky feeling they will e watching us closely. IMO.....

I don't see any harm in liking or commenting on posts/tweets from recruits, and even stating how you hope they come to your school. DMing parents or recruits is a different matter. Oh, and so is commenting on posts related to players who already committed to other schools asking them to change their minds (this is not hypothetical, btw).

Talk about being a potential hot mess......

First, I feel Coach Jumper had no idea what he was doing on Twitter with Mr. Wiggins, has the possibilities as being considered an illegal act by the NCAA, should they investigate...

But, based on what I have read here today, it is awfully close to being a violation that could have negative repercussions to the Lady Vol program...Let's hope this goes no further than this message board.

I don't believe coach Kellie would approve of this, nor would Coach Barnes, Coach Pruitt, The Weekly's, or any other coach at UT would think it is OK to twitter with the prospects, or their parents... but I may be wrong...

Since Coach said he helped train Meme, he may be considered more than a casual fan....This is definitely a slippery slope with no visible hand rails...As stated by others, nothing is gained by this, but a lot could be lost.

Coach, please don't communicate with other prospects via Twitter....You mean no harm, but our opponents are looking for anything to tarnish this program...

I will reply to all through you GT, as you have been a mainstay friend for me...This thread has been educational. I truly feel I have crossed no lines, but also consider I have straddled them and will be much more aware moving forward. I have asked to meet with a person in the UT system and feel it will soon happen. This person is also in a position to give me credible advice. I know that I am in no way a booster by definition as I meet none of the criteria I have read, but in researching more in depth, as a direct result of this thread I see that I came very close.
too close.

Those who know my story (not the ones who THINK they do) know I am navigating a path,, never traveled. My goal was/is to make it into an elite collegiate program straight from AAU/Exposure basketball. That still has not changed, I feel I am one of the very best skills and mechanics instructors in basketball...period. And do not fear in any way proving it. But like I said, I am navigating a path without a map and will undoubtedly make mistakes...I will also make friends, enemies, fans and foes. Lastly, I am hoping that the meeting I have asked for will aid me in clarification and direction.

I have made some great friends on both VolNation and twitter and will keep them.
However, I will promise to you all that I will not try to contact anyone the university specifies as a prospect.
And I will ask the person I am trying to meet with about what to do when they reach out to me (as has happened).

Lastly, there are 5 posters who I look for to see this gesture and commitment I am making as a weakness...Please don't...I am trying to edify and grow. . . Let me.

Last edited:
I will reply to all through you GT, as you have been a mainstay friend for me...This thread has been educational. I truly feel I have crossed no lines, but also consider I have straddled them and will be much more aware moving forward. I have asked to meet with a person in the UT system and feel it will soon happen. This person is also in a position to give me credible advice. I know that I am in no way a booster by definition as I meet none of the criteria I have read, but in researching more in depth, as a direct result of this thread I see that I came very close.
too close.

Those who know my story (not the ones who THINK they do (Amb)) know I am navigating a path,, never traveled. My goal was/is to make it into an elite collegiate program straight from AAU/Exposure basketball. That still has not changed, I feel I am one of the very best skills and mechanics instructors in basketball...period. And do not fear in any way proving it. But like I said, I am navigating a path without a map and will undoubtedly make mistakes...I will also make friends, enemies, fans and foes. Lastly, I am hoping that the meeting I have asked for will aid me in clarification and direction.

I have made some great friends on both VolNation and twitter and will keep them.
However, I will promise to you all that I will not try to contact anyone the university specifies as a prospect.
And I will ask the person I am trying to meet with about what to do when they reach out to me (as has happened).

Lastly, there are 5 posters who I look for to see this gesture and commitment I am making as a weakness...Please don't...I am trying to edify and grow. . . Let me.

Being open-minded and thoughtful is—to paraphrase Sir Terry Pratchett—A GOOD THING. Your words merit respect. 👍

Take the time to go to a ballgame that a prize recruit is playing in. Ask several friends to go along. Wear UT outfits. Sit as close as possible to prospects team. At least on that side of the gym. Sit close to action as possible. Cheer and clap when the hopeful does well. Don't make a "sales" approach to any one apparently part of the prospects team or you do not know that might be related in some way.

Again, speak only when spoken too and do no promoting for UT on a person to person basis. If another group of fans are rooting for said prospect but in another universities apparel be polite but just as loud cheering. Actions can speak louder than words and show positive effort a recruit can appreciate.

Let’s talk practicalities here. There has been NO NCAA investigations, inquiries or even warnings about social media contact between spectators or fans and prospects, players or their parents. While member institutions may publish some of the guidelines that have been copied in posts here, no one actually monitors and enforces them. Basically the only avenues of enforcement of fan behavior, no matter how extreme, is ‘disassociation’ from the athletic program which would involve ticket suspensions, attendance bans, etc. Unless impermissible benefits are involved, there are NO repercussions for the player, prospect or parents by the NCAA for social media exchanges with fans.

The prospects, players or parents in many cases ask for these interactions and many times gauge the reaction to their posts in evaluating their feelings for the institutions that these followers represent. If we don’t get involved as Tennessee’s fans, other fan bases will and do, which is not a good look for us. It’s second only to attendance at games in evaluating fan support for this audience. It’s even more important now that prospects can’t make visits.

To me, it’s a matter of personal propriety. Being a fan, not a critic, being supportive, but not too personal. If we approach these interactions with common sense, we can positively impact these prospects, players and parents‘ opinion of the University of Tennessee.

Let’s all just remember to leave the ‘recruiting’ to the coaches.

too close.

Those who know my story (not the ones who THINK they do (Amb)) know I am navigating a path,, never traveled. My goal was/is to make it into an elite collegiate program straight from AAU/Exposure basketball. That still has not changed, I feel I am one of the very best skills and mechanics instructors in basketball...period. And do not fear in any way proving it. But like I said, I am navigating a path without a map and will undoubtedly make mistakes...I will also make friends, enemies, fans and foes. Lastly, I am hoping that the meeting I have asked for will aid me in clarification and direction.

Last edited:
Take the time to go to a ballgame that a prize recruit is playing in. Ask several friends to go along. Wear UT outfits. Sit as close as possible to prospects team. At least on that side of the gym. Sit close to action as possible. Cheer and clap when the hopeful does well. Don't make a "sales" approach to any one apparently part of the prospects team or you do not know that might be related in some way.

Again, speak only when spoken too and do no promoting for UT on a person to person basis. If another group of fans are rooting for said prospect but in another universities apparel be polite but just as loud cheering. Actions can speak louder than words and show positive effort a recruit can appreciate.

should I wear a trenchcoat too?
If I did that (sit and watch and interact only with fans brave enough to approach me) I would be creepy
I know how to scout and represent,,,its the bylaws of this air-wave bastion that I have to learn

Let’s talk practicalities here. There has been NO NCAA investigations, inquiries or even warnings about social media contact between spectators or fans and prospects, players or their parents. While member institutions may publish some of the guidelines that have been copied in posts here, no one actually monitors and enforces them. Basically the only avenues of enforcement of fan behavior, no matter how extreme, is ‘disassociation’ from the athletic program which would involve ticket suspensions, attendance bans, etc. Unless impermissible benefits are involved, there are NO repercussions for the player, prospect or parents by the NCAA for social media exchanges with fans.

The prospects, players or parents in many cases ask for these interactions and many times gauge the reaction to their posts in evaluating their feelings for the institutions that these followers represent. If we don’t get involved as Tennessee’s fans, other fan bases will, which is not a good look. It’s second only to attendance at games in evaluating fan support for this audience. It’s even more important now that prospects can’t make visits.

To me, it’s a matter of personal propriety. Being a fan, not a critic, being supportive, but not too personal. If we approach these interactions with common sense, we can positively impact these prospects, players and parents‘ opinion of the University of Tennessee. Let’s all just remember to leave the ‘recruiting’ to the coaches.
well said

Auburn and the rest of the SEC, better just be glad I’m not filthy rich and don’t own a cabin in the woods of Sevier county, I’d be throwing cash like it was Monopoly money, forget social media!
GBO!!

too close.

You get a like from me. I applaud your willingness to heed the advice of others and change.

Reactions: creekdipper
You all need to lighten up. Coach Jumper has done nothing wrong. If anyone crosses the line, I guarantee that you’ll hear from someone in the AD.

Some of you need to quit parsing ‘rules’ and help, not hinder the university by sitting on your hands.

Be a positive influence for our tremendous fan base and even greater days lie ahead.

You get a like from me. I applaud your willingness to heed the advice of others and change.

A couple years ago I went to watch Hamilton Heights play a ball game . All five starters received athletic scholarships. I was busy making notes and listing players names , heights and things I felt pertinent to each player ! Because I was wearing a university polo and hat ...., some just assumed that I was scouting certain players !!! ??? I was just doing what I always do but my wife had given me the university clothes for my birthday. (She works for that university and got a discount ) 😁

I enjoyed the attention from some curious parents/fans !

Of course. If these players want REAL fans they will also respond and then come to our kid's birthday parties. That's how fanship works

Reactions: glv98
I would suggest an in-between category for qualified "maybes" with the caveat that some prior relationship had been established such as acquaintance through coaching, private tutoring, becoming friends with parents at games, etc. Cold calls, tweeres, emails, etc. not a good idea since it encourages not just well- meaning, discreet, polite fans but others who may not have filters for inappropriate and/or offensive comments.

Think about friends and acquaintances you've known for years. Some you can tease and banter with freely; others are more sensitive. And that's when we know them well and when we deeply care about each other. The potential for unintended consequences with fan contact is too great to risk. Better to do it within a moderated platform/conduit where comments can be screened.

Last edited:
I assume you know that no one is talking about doing that here...being an active part of the audience on Twitter is a whole other thing...

I assume that you know about the Twitter-box?! ;)

Been there, Earl:
8e31738bddd9eb0ede20faa9dcbf4044.jpg

Reactions: EarlVolFan
I don't think this is a good idea for direct communication, too much chance for some type of problem to occur, unless the recruit is already a friend of the family. Probably not a problem just making a quick general positive comment, like congratulations on a great game, or welcome to Rocky Top.

Reactions: creekdipper
too close.

Jump, you may not recognize my name or maybe you do . I’m a
lifelong Lady Vols fan yet an infrequent poster on the LV board as I spend most of my time on VN on the FF. We’ve had a few discussions and actually one of them was of an almost identical topic several weeks back regarding what could be defined as a booster and where “the line “ should be regarding communication with prospective players , current players and or their parents & handlers . It was a respectful discussion as I always attempt to engage all sides of a discussion without trying to shout down other posters and then claiming victory because I barked the loudest. I am usually successful in this endeavor but have on occasion failed 🥴.

There were 3-4 posters , you and I included in deep discussion but for some reason the mods deleted . To be honest I usually do not see things from your point of view but I do recognize and appreciate your passion for the Lady Vols program. Either way you seem like an alright dude to me.

Not that my opinion matters one way or another but I appreciate the position you took with the post I quoted and I hope that you will stick to it .

Go Vols
....... Oh yeah , and as far as the “POLE” in reference to grown arsed men and women communicating with 17-18 year old male and female high schoolers that would be the biggest HELL NO that I could possibly imagine !

Reactions: T_Vol376

VN Store

Back