Should fans be communicating with recruits?

Should fans be communicating with potential recruits?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I can't speak for the masses, I can only speak for me...I retweet workouts and conversed about many things and developed friendships that go beyond anything associated with UT basketball. I am not a member of any organization nor am I directly associated with any of the coaching staff. I am a private individual basketball coach.

Volnation is a forum that can be accessed by any private individual by joining or by simply viewing. It's purpose is a fan forum not a university organization. I have made many friendships out of both volnation and twitter and value each of them.

Lastly, did ask my "friend" Harold Wiggins if my communications had any influence in the decision making of his daughter and he answered me ...I will share it with my volnation friends and foes:

temp2.png

This is all I have to say for this thread,,,enjoy your conversation, I'm going to Cracker Barrel
;o)

🔴 Yes, this is still a free country.

Sure, there is no government proscription against doing something imprudent, unwise, tacky or downright churlish. That said, the exercise of a freedom may
have unintended consequences, some contrary to the will of the party enjoying that freedom.

🔴 Yes, but only with the approval of the recruiting team.

That would almost certainly, in the eyes of the NCAA, make the fan an agent of the institution. Result: clear violation.

🔴 No, it opens the door to recruiting violations.

True. That's why most (all?) colleges and universities prefer to keep contact with potential recruits and their families limited to the coaching staff.

🔵 Absolutely not. It's in poor taste and borderline narcissism.

It may also be counter-productive. As another fan pointed out, the messaging may be inconsistent with that of the professional staff.

Speaking only for myself here, I trust Coach Harper and her crew to do the recruiting for UT. They have done a pretty good job so far. Enthusiastic fans, whatever their claimed credentials, should be humble enough to keep to the sidelines. Unless, of course, they have a proven track record of successfully recruiting topflight high school talent to SEC level programs, in which case they should have no difficulty landing a coaching job at a P5 school.

These comments are not directed at any individual fan, but at any and all who may think Coach Harper cannot succeed without their precious contributions.

Last edited:
Just bc you can do something doesn't mean you should. I still haven't seen anyone give an upside. We see fm the Texas A&M site it's a potential rules violation, and that the actual professional recruiters much prefer others not "help" them with their carefully planned communication. We see from this thread most see it as socially inappropriate. So why? Why would anyone risk all this? Someone articulate an upside other than free country please. I'm honestly curious what motivates someone to do this.

tenor.gif

A Representative of Athletics Interest (booster) is anyone who is known (or should be known) by a member of the institution’s executive or athletic administration to:
Participate in or have been a member of a sport support group or booster club.
• Provide or have helped arrange employment for student-athletes or provided benefits to enrolled student-athletes.
• Have been involved in the promotion of Union University’s athletics program.
• Participated as a varsity athlete at Union University.

Note: Once an individual is identified as a Representative of the Institution’s Athletics Interest, the person retains that identity forever.

Recruiting is defined by the NCAA as:
  • Any solicitation of a prospective student-athlete or the prospect's relatives or guardian by an institutional staff member or booster for the purpose of securing the prospect's enrollment and participation in any Illinois athletic program.

The above is from a University web site.

If anyone has bought season tickets or donated to the university, they are also considered a booster.

The question to me is whether or not this message board considered a sport support group.

I picked the third option, that it COULD be a recruiting violation. I just don't see the point of even risking it. I asked my friend who is a compliance officer at a Div I university and he said he would advise anyone contacting a recruit or the recruits family should stop that behavior. I'd go with his professional opinion.

Honestly, this response should be pinned to the top of the board. The NCAA does not care about motivation, intent, etc.-- if a contact is seen as violating rules, that is that.

I can't speak for the masses, I can only speak for me...I retweet workouts and conversed about many things and developed friendships that go beyond anything associated with UT basketball. I am not a member of any organization nor am I directly associated with any of the coaching staff. I am a private individual basketball coach.

Volnation is a forum that can be accessed by any private individual by joining or by simply viewing. It's purpose is a fan forum not a university organization. I have made many friendships out of both volnation and twitter and value each of them.

Lastly, did ask my "friend" Harold Wiggins if my communications had any influence in the decision making of his daughter and he answered me ...I will share it with my volnation friends and foes:

View attachment 286630

This is all I have to say for this thread,,,enjoy your conversation, I'm going to Cracker Barrel
;o)
I guess you just don't get it. It doesn't matter if Mr. Wiggins is OK with you contacting him. It's the NCAA you have to worry about. This particular contact might have been OK with the NCAA, but you are walking a thin line here.

Reactions: T_Vol376

View attachment 286630

;o)
see nothin wrong with this coach have a great day😆

Reactions: Benionsopinion
Honestly, this response should be pinned to the top of the board. The NCAA does not care about motivation, intent, etc.-- if a contact is seen as violating rules, that is that.

If this were a UT support group it wouldn't let South Carolina, Ucon, Rutgers and other admitted collegiate supporters join it...it is a public fan forum...Geez

It's not the UT Quarterback club

The university has my contact info,,,ergo the Compliance office does as well, I would imagine they don't tremble at the aspect of contacting me and letting me know if I am teetering a line,

Dude, you tell me how irrelevant I am then post references to me as if I am the next in line to coach this team...make up your mind

Missed you madtown
;o)

Last edited:
If this were a UT support group it wouldn't let South Carolina, Ucon, Rutgers and other admitted collegiate supporters join it...it is a public fan forum...Geez

The university has my contact info,,,ergo the Compliance office does as well, I would imagine they don't tremble at the aspect of contacting me and letting me know if I am teetering a line,

Dude, you tell me how irrelevant I am then post references to me as if I am the next in line to coach this team...make up your mind

Missed you madtown
;o)
There is no way this forum isn’t a Tennessee support group. I’ve felt the wrath of that more than one time. You let us outside fans visit, but we are barely tolerated.

59 no, it’s not ok.
19 yes, it’s ok.

"A Representative of Athletics Interest (booster) is anyone who is known (or should be known) by a member of the institution’s executive or athletic administration......"

I hope the definitions for the rules are a little more clear as to what constitutes a club and group.

I voted no to contact as there are to many ways for this to go wrong. I don’t trust anyone who wants to communicate with a young person with no ties to them. i understand there are exceptions but that is another situation but for someone to contact a recruit there is no ”Good” reason for it so why do it. I can only see some type of negative effect if this become acceptable. I cannot imagine what would be a legit, and positive reason for me to reach out to a young person and communicate with them without parents, coaches, and or clergy if applicable. I believe we should treat others as we would like to be treated and I would not want and adult with no ties to me and my child to communicate with my offspring. WHY?

Reactions: T_Vol376 and Chippo
If you are out of college, potentially have a job and or a family, and you are still contacting high school students, you are officially a creep!

Reactions: Jravol78
ND is pretty clear about their attitude.

Defining a Booster
Who is a Representative of Athletics Interests?
The NCAA broadly defines a "booster" as an individual, agency, entity or organization who is known by an institution to:
  • Have participated in or been a member of an agency that promotes the institution's intercollegiate athletics program
  • Have made financial contributions to the athletics department or a booster organization for the department
  • Have been involved otherwise in promoting the institution's athletics program

• Have been a season ticket holder
  • Have provided benefits to student-athletes or their relatives or friends
I'm an Alumnus, am I a Booster?
Not necessarily. Not all Notre Dame alumni are considered boosters. Likewise, a booster does not have to be a graduate of Notre Dame. Boosters meet at least one of the criteria listed above. Thus, an individual who has ever made a financial contribution to the Athletics Department is a booster. In a general sense, a season ticket holder in any sport at any time is a booster. Members and financial supporters of the Notre Dame Monogram Club or any other Notre Dame athletic organization are boosters. These are only a handful of examples of typical "boosters" who may be affiliated with an athletic program. Many additional scenarios exist, but, regardless of a booster affiliation with the university, it is important that all supporters follow NCAA rules as they interact with prospects, current student-athletes, their families and friends.

Missed you madtown
;o)

I was not referencing you in particular. The poll question concerned the general prospect of fans contacting recruits directly. And I assume that those contacts go beyond following a player on Instagram or posting a comment on their pages. I assumed that the contact would be a direct one-- a phone call, letter, email, face-to-face for the purpose of encouraging the recruit to join the LVs.

Aside from the NCAA rules, highly recruited players and families always described the stress levels involved in the process. So extraneous, unsolicited contacts from random fans would only add to that problem. If I was coach, I would certainly not want random fans contacting my recruits because I would not have control over the messaging nor could I be sure that the contact might not unintentionally alienate the player or parents. And fans could also contact recruits for less charitable reasons that could border on harassment.

As for you, well, you have claimed repeatedly that you have provided coaching services to lady vols, such as Meme Jackson.

Per the prior post I quoted, someone who has provided "benefits" to players in the program could be classified as "a booster." Coaching services would seem to count as a benefit. You also claim to have been "known" to the University staff. Even though the coaching staff has changed, that knowledge could still be held against the University.

So, are you a booster or were you misrepresenting your relation to these LV players and the program?

Last edited:
Im on the fence with this, guess it depends on what they are saying. If its negativity because they dont come here or something similiar then that looks bad.

It's acceptable to proclaim "BUCK FAMA!!!" at every opportunity. Otherwise probably should leave things to the pros, they're doing just fine.

Talk about being a potential hot mess......

First, I feel Coach Jumper had no idea what he was doing on Twitter with Mr. Wiggins, has the possibilities as being considered an illegal act by the NCAA, should they investigate...

But, based on what I have read here today, it is awfully close to being a violation that could have negative repercussions to the Lady Vol program...Let's hope this goes no further than this message board.

I don't believe coach Kellie would approve of this, nor would Coach Barnes, Coach Pruitt, The Weekly's, or any other coach at UT would think it is OK to twitter with the prospects, or their parents... but I may be wrong...

Since Coach said he helped train Meme, he may be considered more than a casual fan....This is definitely a slippery slope with no visible hand rails...As stated by others, nothing is gained by this, but a lot could be lost.

Coach, please don't communicate with other prospects via Twitter....You mean no harm, but our opponents are looking for anything to tarnish this program...

[QUOTE="madtownvol, post: 18353245, member: 64532"

Per the prior post I quoted, someone who has provided "benefits" to players in the program could be classified as "a booster." Coaching services would seem to count as a benefit. You also claim to have been "known" to the University staff. Even though the coaching staff has changed, that knowledge could still be held against the University.

So, are you a booster or were you misrepresenting your relation to these LV players and the program?[/QUOTE]

Now THAT is an interesting theory.

Sounds like he is a big time booster to me.

Reactions: T_Vol376
Great conversation overall in the thread. I wonder if some of us are saying the same thing in different ways. If a player announces an offer or posts something related to the LVs, I don't really see an issue retweeting or saying congrats. I don't think that's creepy at all. These players love to see support. They all operate in a social media world. However, if a fan is directly reaching out through messages to the player or family, that seems to be a different thing. The coaches need to be handling specifics. A consistent message for the recruit as it relates to UT is important. Just my thoughts though. I realize there are varying opinions.

Reactions: JustaChicken

VN Store

Back