Should fans be communicating with recruits?

Should fans be communicating with potential recruits?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I see nothing wrong with fans communicating with recruits.Its social media you cant constantly control everyone if recruits dont like fans constanly messaging them 1. they can block 2. they can turn off messages on all social media platforms so fans cant message.

I'm a CEO working on delicate negotiation with an important client. I've worked the relationship carefully, I know exactly how this client likes to be communicated with. Then all the sudden the guy fm the mail room pipes up with his 2¢ worth? A thousand times NO. There's no possible upside that outweighs the risk of an uninformed buttinski chiming in. I guess a simple hey we'd like to have you public post is inevitable and probably harmless. But I don't think that's what we're talking about here. It's insistent direct sustained contact, which brings up the aforementioned inappropriateness factor . . .

I'm a CEO working on delicate negotiation with an important client. I've worked the relationship carefully, I know exactly how this client likes to be communicated with. Then all the sudden the guy fm the mail room pipes up with his 2¢ worth? A thousand times NO. There's no possible upside that outweighs the risk of an uninformed buttinski chiming in. I guess a simple hey we'd like to have you public post is inevitable and probably harmless. But I don't think that's what we're talking about here. It's insistent direct sustained contact, which brings up the aforementioned inappropriateness factor . . .

I am going to wait and let this thread develop before I chime in as I am the subject matter and don't want to influence it

One thing tho,,,
buttinski
;o)

I haven't heard that term since Frank Burns on "Mash"

Thanks for making my day glv

Reactions: GlennTenn
A Representative of Athletics Interest (booster) is anyone who is known (or should be known) by a member of the institution’s executive or athletic administration to:
Participate in or have been a member of a sport support group or booster club.
• Provide or have helped arrange employment for student-athletes or provided benefits to enrolled student-athletes.
• Have been involved in the promotion of Union University’s athletics program.
• Participated as a varsity athlete at Union University.

Note: Once an individual is identified as a Representative of the Institution’s Athletics Interest, the person retains that identity forever.

Recruiting is defined by the NCAA as:

• Any solicitation of a prospective student-athlete or the prospect's relatives or guardian by an institutional staff member or booster for the purpose of securing the prospect's enrollment and participation in any Illinois athletic program.

The above is from a University web site.

If anyone has bought season tickets or donated to the university, they are also considered a booster.

The question to me is whether or not this message board considered a sport support group.

I picked the third option, that it COULD be a recruiting violation. I just don't see the point of even risking it. I asked my friend who is a compliance officer at a Div I university and he said he would advise anyone contacting a recruit or the recruits family should stop that behavior. I'd go with his professional opinion.

This is from the Texas A&M site.

Attention Aggie Fans:
Texas A&M needs your help. One of the most economical yet effective ways to invest in Texas A&M is by following the rules when interacting with prospective student-athletes (i.e., PSAs), as well as their coaches, teachers and relatives. By doing so, you can help Texas A&M reduce the likelihood of costly NCAA violations. When in doubt, ask before you act.

Recruiting
Please leave recruiting (whether online, over the phone or in-person) to the professionals, Texas A&M Athletics’ coaches and staff. NCAA rules generally prohibit anyone else from recruiting prospective student-athletes on behalf of Texas A&M Athletics. For example:

• It would not be permissible for a booster, fan, or former student to Tweet at recruits, comment on PSAs’ Facebook profiles, etc. Please refrain from using social networks or other mediums to have recruiting contact with PSAs until the PSA has begun attending Texas A&M.

Note, Texas A&M doesn't differentiate between a Booster and Fan and is specific in the use of social media.

There is absolutely NO reason for fans to be directly communicating with potential recruits to their school! The average keyboard cowboy has no idea what the dialogue between the recruiter and the recruit may be If some of the ill thought out posts seen with scary regularity on this site are any indications, it could turn a very image conscious high level recruit to drop a potential school like hot butter. There is also the isiots that directly bash a recruit because they don't pick UT. I guess I should have voted for selection 4 as I guess that is truly how I feel about the topic.

This is from the Texas A&M site.

Attention Aggie Fans:
Texas A&M needs your help. One of the most economical yet effective ways to invest in Texas A&M is by following the rules when interacting with prospective student-athletes (i.e., PSAs), as well as their coaches, teachers and relatives. By doing so, you can help Texas A&M reduce the likelihood of costly NCAA violations. When in doubt, ask before you act.

Recruiting
Please leave recruiting (whether online, over the phone or in-person) to the professionals, Texas A&M Athletics’ coaches and staff. NCAA rules generally prohibit anyone else from recruiting prospective student-athletes on behalf of Texas A&M Athletics. For example:

• It would not be permissible for a booster, fan, or former student to Tweet at recruits, comment on PSAs’ Facebook profiles, etc. Please refrain from using social networks or other mediums to have recruiting contact with PSAs until the PSA has begun attending Texas A&M.

Note, Texas A&M doesn't differentiate between a Booster and Fan and is specific in the use of social media.
That is probably because it is nearly impossible to differentiate the two. How would it be possible to know for sure if the account contacting the recruit is not an actual booster? Internet anonymity is a very dangerous game to play.

I am going to wait and let this thread develop before I chime in as I am the subject matter and don't want to influence it

One thing tho,,,
buttinski
;o)

I haven't heard that term since Frank Burns on "Mash"

Thanks for making my day glv

This subject is not about you. It is about anyone who is trying to communicate with prospective players or their family using any means at their disposal. It is a solicitation for public opinion. While your world may revolve around you, this thread doesn't.

This subject is not about you. It is about anyone who is trying to communicate with prospective players or their family using any means at their disposal. It is a solicitation for public opinion. While your world may revolve around you, this thread doesn't.

glad to hear it

Those 18 year recruits laugh their arse off at 40 year men trying to be an insider

So when they try to be an insider they just message them and say hey I'm 40yrs look at me now rite.. I'm far far from turning 40 but u making seems like 40 is 90yrs old. They talk about basketball not their age. Mentioning age is when u wana date someone okk lol

I'm a little conflicted on this one. I voted no but that's because it just seems odd to me. Looking at it another way though, the recruit or family could just block or ignore if the person is a weirdo. Bottom line is we have no way to control what others do and say, hopefully it will not hurt the process. If it does hopefully the recruit or family will make it public.

VN Store

Back