Sheila Jackson Lee: "I'm a Freed Slave"

I thought you might find my post interesting. If you didn't find it interesting, my fault for assuming.

A few follow up points to consider:
1. You said, "Yes, it was the Republicans, but they were the liberals of the day..." However, every single segregationist in the Senate was a Democrat. Only one of them ever became a Republican: Strom Thurmond.
The rest remained not only Democrats, but quite liberal Democrats.
2. It is accurate that Gore Sr didn't sign the Southern Manifesto in 1956. He wasn't voted out of office until 1971. He may have been 'vulnerable' but remained in the Senate for another 14 years. Also of note, he also voted against the famous LBJ legislation of 1964.
3. LBJ gutted, as a senator, the 1957 Civil Rights Act. He pushed the 1964 Civil Rights Act doing a 180-flip on civil rights as president.

Full disclosure, I am not related to any of these people and have no vested interest in their legacy. I do have an interest in learning new things and I appreciate your post because it made me curious to do some research.

Yes, I found it interesting. Maybe I took your response in a different manner in the context of the discussion than you intended. If so, I apologize.

However, as to the points above:

1. The Republicans as the liberals of the day referred to the Civil War-Reconstruction period. The point was in reference the statement that this person had "forgotten" the Democrats were the ones who opposed abolition. I was noting that the political factions had changed quite a bit in 150 years.

2. Gore lost his seat in 1970 as a result of the Southern Strategy push that was initiated from capturing momentum from opposition to the civil rights movement. Gore not signing the Manifesto and voting for the 1965 Voting Rights Act were quite astounding for a Southern politician at the time.

3. LBJ opposed the 1957 law as a practical matter as he was majority leader and worried the law would destroy his party. Not the most noble position, but I think he redeems himself in 1964.

All in all, the liberal Southern Democrats, the few that existed, were not by any means perfect, but the other Southern Democrats (the conservatives who would later either switch or have their successors turn Republican) were demonstrably worse.

If you had a nickel for every time it was true, you'd be a millionaire.

While I agree that there is a liberal bias in the media, some people harp on it way too much. Just watch your Fox News and all is right with the world...oh yeah, Fox News is the one who brings it up all the time!

Yes, I found it interesting. Maybe I took your response in a different manner in the context of the discussion than you intended. If so, I apologize.

However, as to the points above:

1. The Republicans as the liberals of the day referred to the Civil War-Reconstruction period. The point was in reference the statement that this person had "forgotten" the Democrats were the ones who opposed abolition. I was noting that the political factions had changed quite a bit in 150 years.

2. Gore lost his seat in 1970 as a result of the Southern Strategy push that was initiated from capturing momentum from opposition to the civil rights movement. Gore not signing the Manifesto and voting for the 1965 Voting Rights Act were quite astounding for a Southern politician at the time.

3. LBJ opposed the 1957 law as a practical matter as he was majority leader and worried the law would destroy his party. Not the most noble position, but I think he redeems himself in 1964.

All in all, the liberal Southern Democrats, the few that existed, were not by any means perfect, but the other Southern Democrats (the conservatives who would later either switch or have their successors turn Republican) were demonstrably worse.

Unimane,
Don't we have to assume that LBJ did the right thing for the sake of his party since he had a history of doing the wrong thing for the sake of his party?

I looked around and cannot find much correlating modern day liberal ideology with the Republicans of the mid 19th century. Can you provide more insight?

While I agree that there is a liberal bias in the media, some people harp on it way too much. Just watch your Fox News and all is right with the world...oh yeah, Fox News is the one who brings it up all the time!

You can make light of it all you want, the difference between the coverage/tone from the media of Bush and Obama is astounding. The funny (ironic) thing is that Obama and Bush presidencies have been more similar than different.

The two biggest wtf media coverage moments are debt/deficit/debt ceiling and water-boarding (Bush) vs assassinations of Americans (Obama).

The media use to play an important rule in the way the country was governed (being the watchdogs). That has all but evaporated and we are stuck with woefully ignorant propaganda machines everywhere.

Reactions: 2 people
You can make light of it all you want, the difference between the coverage/tone from the media of Bush and Obama is astounding. The funny (ironic) thing is that Obama and Bush presidencies have been more similar than different.

The two biggest wtf media coverage moments are debt/deficit/debt ceiling and water-boarding (Bush) vs assassinations of Americans (Obama).

The media use to play an important rule in the way the country was governed (being the watchdogs). That has all but evaporated and we are stuck with woefully ignorant propaganda machines everywhere.

It's insane. It's a testament to how screwed up the shot callers are and how easily swayed the public is becoming. It wasn't too long ago when the media was completely different here. That's the scary part.

I have watched BBC newscasts occasionally. I was amazed at how they covered our president compared to our media.

Do you see much of the same in Korea?

I have watched BBC newscasts occasionally. I was amazed at how they covered our president compared to our media.

Do you see much of the same in Korea?

BBC is about the best you can get for major news networks. Not sure about Korea, but Vietnam was definitely liberal. Then again, that shouldn't be a surprise.

Yeah, the BBC is the best, unless you prefer your kids not to be fondled by a pedo.

Or is it paedo..? :)

It's insane. It's a testament to how screwed up the shot callers are and how easily swayed the public is becoming. It wasn't too long ago when the media was completely different here. That's the scary part.

I agree with the bolded.

I'm interested to know people's thoughts on when this change from reporting to propaganda began and the reason for the change?

It's when they turned the news into profit centers.

Murrow or Cronkite one warned about this.

Southerners were Democrats for years, particularly in response to the Reconstruction policies of the Republicans. The switch began in the early 70s as a response to JFK and LBJ pushing civil rights and Nixon adopting the Southern Strategy to take advantage of Southern anger towards the leadership of the Democratic Party. The transition was pretty much completed with the 1994 elections.

Ah I see thanks for clearing that up. If JKF and LBJ didn't push civil rights, how long would have the civil rights movement lasted and would there still be "Dixiecrats"?

Democrat Thinks the Constitution is 400 Years Old | Washington Free Beacon

“Maybe I should offer a good thanks to the distinguished members of the majority, the Republicans, my chairman and others, for giving us an opportunity to have a deliberative constitutional discussion that reinforces the sanctity of this nation and how well it is that we have lasted some 400 years, operating under a constitution that clearly defines what is constitutional and what is not,” she said.

math is hard

lulz

Jackson-Lee’s only qualification for sitting on the Subcommittee on Space and Aeronautics was the space between her ears. She visited JPL and asked if the Mars Rover would be able to show “the flag the astronauts planted there before”. Staffers were reportedly surprised that she didn’t complain about cost overruns on the Death Star.

Her for sure since she has more powerful committee assignments

Both sit on the Judiciary and are on two of the same subcommittees. She serves on the Homeland Security (scary) and he sits on the Armed Services (just as scary).

I think she just opens her mouth a whole lot more. Gives good gaff material though.

No she won't. She'll be re-elected.

Wonder why common core is important to the libs, just look at her. Can't be stupid if fact and truth do not exist and are situational, malleable, or left to interpretation.

Reactions: 1 person
Okay, which one is worse, her or Hank Johnson?

Tough call, I know.

I think the flag on Mars puts her over the top but it's very close

she went to Yale and UVA law. Can we now put to rest the argument about education and intelligence?

VN Store

Back