Shea Ralph Talks The Losing Streak

Yes CHW is An alum. Only reason she became head coach is because Pat appointed her. So as far as alums that I would take, would be Nikki Fargas (Caldwell), Kara Lawson. But mos definitely not someone from UConn. No stanks!
Guess you would rather lose than win. Not me. I want to win. If they do things the right way and are a winner, I want them here. Shea Ralph is my second choice behind Becky Hammon unless you can get a highly successful current head coach in here. The one requirement is to do it the right way. Some current successful head coaches don't, and I don't want them here.

Guess you would rather lose than win. Not me. I want to win. If they do things the right way and are a winner, I want them here. Shea Ralph is my second choice behind Becky Hammon unless you can get a highly successful current head coach in here. The one requirement is to do it the right way. Some current successful head coaches don't, and I don't want them here.

🚫UCONN🚫

So what if she is. I mean someone is bringing all those recruits to UConn. You go undefeated for 100 and something games (i forgot how many they won in a row) you probaly need to look at some of Geno coaches. She has been to Knoxville to Pat's camp.

Why so defensive? I said she is probably angling for a job. Did I say she wouldn’t be a good coach or recruiter?

What's the win-loss record of any LV alum that would be considered? There's absolutely none that should be considered except Caldwell, who would be a last resort and has a mediocre record as HC.

Not the point. The statement was made that no former LV coach is even in "the same stratosphere" as Ralph re: coaching or recruiting prowess.

Ralph has no head coaching resume, so that's an awfully presumptuous assumption to make. Could it be that Auriemma, Dailey, and the UConn brand (already well-established as one of top two programs in nation before Ralph joined the staff) just might have played a big part in their success?

I also think Ralph will be successful as a HC, but let's not be anointing her just yet until she proves it.

Last edited:

Hmmm, Becky Hammon. She might be what they need. She’s got a surly look to her that might be the closest thing Tenn could get to Pat’s Starr.

Why so defensive? I said she is probably angling for a job. Did I say she wouldn’t be a good coach or recruiter?
No but this Lady Vols losing is getting old. I think it's time for a change. Holly has been head coach for like 7 years. Don't see much improvment.

So what if she is. I mean someone is bringing all those recruits to UConn. You go undefeated for 100 and something games (i forgot how many they won in a row) you probaly need to look at some of Geno coaches. She has been to Knoxville to Pat's camp.

Ralph was pregnant and gave birth last year. UConn pretty much wiffed at recruiting last year. Coincidence?

Reactions: Darth_Vol
Not the point. The statement was made that no former LV coach is even in "the same stratosphere" as Ralph re: coaching or recruiting prowess.

Yes, and I'm not "annointing" her anything. My point was that the LV coaching pool is basically garbage, not that she is some sure fire future HC. I can't name a coach that even remotely deserves to be interviewed for the LV job outside of Caldwell, and as stated she's only as a last resort. I would just as easily take a chance on Ralph vs. Caldwell, who's had a very mediocre to downright abysmal time as HC outside of one year at UCLA where she got upset in the NCAAT as a 3-seed.

Ralph has coached and played for a coach that has ten NCs (or 11...hell idk how many they have anymore). And a program that actually runs an offense. She's clearly in the driver's seat to become the HC of that program. Some question as to the "coaching" remark. There should be *zero* question as to the recruiting remark. She's the lead recruiter of what's been by far the best program in the nation during her AC tenure. UConn's most dominant place in history has been with her as assistant and the leader in recruiting. Is she solely responsible? Obviously not. (Never said otherwise, BTW.) But I don't think that UConn has the last decade they've had w/o Shea Ralph. Next to Niele Ivey I can't name a coach that's even close in recruiting. And it's common knowledge every program has an assistant that is their recruiting coordinator, so it's not like you can't gauge how good a coach is at recruiting as an assistant.

Hmmm, Becky Hammon. She might be what they need. She’s got a surly look to her that might be the closest thing Tenn could get to Pat’s Starr.

Yeah she’s great but I think she has s pretty dope gig with the Spurs, no way would she leave.

Some of don't care if she can tie her own shoes as long as she can coach winning basketball. I have never understood the demand for Tennessee ties among our fanbase. I just want someone who views UT as a destination and can fix the problem.

If I were a former Lady Vol, I would be a little hesitant to replace Holly, simply because the expectations would be too great. Not only would they be expected to surpass what Holly has done, or has not done, and to immediately bring the program back to its glory days. Unfortunately, being a LVFL does not mean you have what it takes to make the Lady Vol basketball program an elite top ten program, case and point Holly. Sometimes, you need a new prospective and a fresh start. It would be best to widen our viewpoint and think of hiring the best possible candidate, LVFL or not.

Shea Ralph once said Thompson Bowling looked like someone threw up orange in it. As a player she was a drama queen and a flopper. She is therefore not a candidate.

My heart wants someone with a Pat connection. But more and more my head thinks a whole breeze of fresh air is needed. This will always be Pat's program, she'd want it to move forward and meet challenges, not sink into ordinariness.

Reactions: ksl415
Darn!
Best believe we won’t ever have a UCONN alum coaching our Lady Vols. Trust. Never.

Yeah, that's almost as crazy as a Bama alum becoming coach of the football team.

If you want to be the best, you would be wise to take a good long look at the best. If your pride won't allow you to do that you're an idiot. Luckily, Fulmer has proven he isn't an idiot...

Yeah, that's almost as crazy as a Bama alum becoming coach of the football team.

If you want to be the best, you would be wise to take a good long look at the best. If your pride won't allow you to do that you're an idiot. Luckily, Fulmer has proven he isn't an idiot...

No name calling pls..

Who the hell wants a UConn alum to coach our team. Maybe I’m in the minority but no way in hell would I.

VN Store

Back