Shannon had a deal in place with TN...

I don't believe Shannon was ever offered or considered for the OC position. Just internet rumor and speculation.

Shannon burned lot of bridges here in S FL with HS coaches. I think he would have been a good DC but we would have over paid. I like CSS the more I hear about him great recruiter's are hard to come buy, his players seem to really like him as well.

GBO

Reactions: 2 people
Why? Sunseri is a great hire but he's not Shannon.
You're right, Sunseri is a proven DL, LB coach in the toughest conference in CFB, as well as being a top flight recruiter for a team that has won two of the past 3 National Championships. Shannon is a proven recruiter / DC in the, well lets just say ACC. What's funny to me is seeing all the Sunseri pre-hire Shannon lovers now pretending they didn't want him after all. Volnation is the pinnacle for gullible, band wagon fans.

Reactions: 3 people
Shannon will jump boat for the first head coaching job available....... AND he will fail again! No control over the players at Da' U.

OK NegaVols, why would you want a Randy Shannon over Sunseri? Are we ever satisfied?
To me, it's a GREAT day to be a Volunteer! Looks like we are on the right track and Sunseri was the top recruiter in 2011! TNVFL! All you haters, may need to find another team to pull for! Jay Graham will be a Great advantage to recruiting as well as the new OL coach Sam Pittman, he has the Carolinas covered! QUit whining, sit back and watch this Volunteer team grow!

ROFL
Guys, like 90% of this forum was freaking out about a grand slam hire in Randy Shannon, and suddenly it's all "Glad we didn't hire him. Would have been a bad idea."

Reactions: 1 person
ROFL
Guys, like 90% of this forum was freaking out about a grand slam hire in Randy Shannon, and suddenly it's all "Glad we didn't hire him. Would have been a bad idea."
My point exactly. That's what happens when kids dominate a message board. Their opinions change like the wind, silly.

Let's face it, if Sunseri were such a hot commodity why did it take for him to be in his mid 50's for him to finally become a defensive coordinator?

This guy is probably a great assistant coach, but thats all he is.

ROFL

Truth.

Shannon is a proven DC commodity. Consistently had top 5 defenses. Nothing points to his involvement in Miami's Boostergate. Randy Shannon would have been a grand slam hire regardless what people say now.

I don't hate the Sunseri hire, but he is unproven as a major FBS D Coordinator. By all accounts he is a good LBs coach and solid recruiter which we desperately need after losing Sirmon. Being a good position coach doesn't make one a good coordinator. I am hopeful he will be a good one, but the ordination of Sal being the second coming of Buddy Ryan is premature at best. Randy Shannon has been tested by fire as a coordinator. I will be cautiously optimistic about CSS. Only positive performance on the field will convince me totally.

Not tryjng to be a downer at all. Just keeping it real with the Shannon bashing all of a sudden and the praise for the unproven CSS.

Last edited:
Sunseri will need on the job training like we have experienced with Dooley, just not as much due to his strong background with two of the best D minds there are in Fox and Saban. But, Shannon is a been there, done that many times, top tier DC. If Shannon were to go to Clemson with the way Dabo and staff has recruited they will be one tough bunch to go against.

I have to say that I was stoked about Shannon when the "rumors" first began, and I would be stoked to have him here still. However, after reading and learning about CSS, I think he is a great, home run hire!! His immediate impact, the committment of McCullers, is obviously a positive sign of things to come. GBO!!

My point exactly. That's what happens when kids dominate a message board. Their opinions change like the wind, silly.

If you are referring to me, Kids my A**! I'm prob old enough to be your Daddy! Randy Shannon would have been great, but let's be positive about the hire! He is the top recruiter for 2011!

Dominate? I don't think so, I'm a newby, according to my join date and posts! VFL! Everyone had to start somewhere, right? Don't be a hater just because my posts are low; alot of Vol following in my days!

Last edited:
A bird in the hand is worth two in Miami that overvalue themselves and have a cloud looming overhead.

Be careful. You'll have various posts announcing that you are being added to the dreaded ignore list.

LOL. That always cracks me up. Bunch of drama queens. "Your posts are so bad that I have to make a public announcement that I will not be reading them anymore." Pathetic. :birgits_giggle:

VN Store

Back