Shallow Vols

UneducatedGuess

Do you understand why injuries impact a team so much?

Let me help. When you install a defense, you install a base and then you build concepts on top of that base throughout the year. Your first team takes the most snaps learning the concepts - together; then your second team a few less snaps; and your third stringers might get a couple of reps max.

So - when you lose your 1st and 2nd string DL, your first and second string LBs, and your 1st and second string safeties, it stops you from evolving your defense. Because you have to shift your focusing from "growing" to "catching up".

It doesn't matter which group is down (LBs during the A&M-> SC stretch and DLs from SC on), you are only as good as your weakest link.

Dropping to your second string doesn't really decimate your team like going to third. Not because they aren't talented but because they haven't really practiced the concepts.

If this was the NFL there would be more time to work with everyone. Plus a smaller roster for more coaching opportunities.

But it's not. It's college. Bigger teams. Restricted practice time. Because the kids have, ya know, class and such.

Class - something you Gator wannabe jealous fans should find. We beat FL and GA and played one bad game this year. It cost us. That's life. This team has managed injury and divas. The new identity of this team is to win on offense.

See y'all at the Sugar.

Reactions: 45 people

Let me help. When you install a defense, you install a base and then you build concepts on top of that base throughout the year. Your first team takes the most snaps learning the concepts - together; then your second team a few less snaps; and your third stringers might get a couple of reps max.

So - when you lose your 1st and 2nd string DL, your first and second string LBs, and your 1st and second string safeties, it stops you from evolving your defense. Because you have to shift your focusing from "growing" to "catching up".

It doesn't matter which group is down (LBs during the A&M-> SC stretch and DLs from SC on), you are only as good as your weakest link.

Dropping to your second string doesn't really decimate your team like going to third. Not because they aren't talented but because they haven't really practiced the concepts.

If this was the NFL there would be more time to work with everyone. Plus a smaller roster for more coaching opportunities.

But it's not. It's college. Bigger teams. Restricted practice time. Because the kids have, ya know, class and such.

Class - something you Gator wannabe jealous fans should find. We beat FL and GA and played one bad game this year. It cost us. That's life. This team has managed injury and divas. The new identity of this team is to win on offense.

See y'all at the Sugar.

Next man up.. lol

Reactions: 1 person

See y'all at the Sugar.

Good luck. I've made this point here before. The 80/20 rule applies to this board but it is closer to 90/10 here, unfortunately.

Random musings offered up here between 1am - 5am make me laugh imagining the likely semi-conscious condition of the keyboard warrior flailing helplessly while chugging another beverage.

Last edited:
Reactions: 11 people

See y'all at the Sugar.
Good post but they don't care. He lost to south Carolina and didn't win the East so they want his head. Short sighted fools in this fan base. But I'm with you.

Reactions: 15 people

See y'all at the Sugar.

Good post. Most of them won't understand. They just want to "Fahr Botch"

Reactions: 7 people
Injuries have decimated the team, no doubt, but there is something more wrong. I am not sure exactly what, so I am not going to make any wild comments. I just believe there is more going wrong than just injuries.

Injuries have decimated the team, no doubt, but there is something more wrong. I am not sure exactly what, so I am not going to make any wild comments. I just believe there is more going wrong than just injuries.

This. The offense is carrying the defense, injuries or not. This is the worst defense we've put on the field since I can remember. It's ridiculous watching KY and Mizzoo run for the yardage they have. Injuries or not, it's just embarrassing...and everybody slams Debord...Shoop makes over a mill a year...but this is what we have? Sorry, we were so-so on D when all healthy, but to have KY and MZ run all over us is just too much. Who on here would have thought that Debo would have to carry Shoop at the end of the year?

They need better strengthening methods. When I see them using bands for hip development I cringe. The rash of injuries is directly related to their training methods.

I agree that something is odd on the defensive side. I can sort of understand the inability to stop the run up the middle (though those undersized Appy State tackles did pretty good), but I just don't understand why the DE's can't set an edge. Even Barnett, as good as he is in other facets of the game, does a mediocre job in this regard. Is it the scheme?

Might be time to hit the JC ranks for a few stud DT.s and a few mean OT,s that can play now. Buy some time to let the true freshman coming in develop. Plus would provide instant depth if we could get the right players.

Might be time to hit the JC ranks for a few stud DT.s and a few mean OT,s that can play now. Buy some time to let the true freshman coming in develop. Plus would provide instant depth if we could get the right players.

You can bet the farm on "CBJ and Associates" are beating the bushes for players.

Regarding Tennessee's injuries: how much of a factor is Shields-Watkins field? An article from CBS Radio a year ago mentioned the groundskeeper's practice of annually replacing sod and aerating the soil in August (instead of May) creates a shallow root system that makes the turf very slippery. Tennessee acknowledges issues with field at Neyland Stadium | WNML-AF

Strength and conditioning can't overcome a poor playing surface, imo.

Blair and Johnson say hello.

Is it that simple? Has it been done before? Where in the JC are these players today?

Regarding Tennessee's injuries: how much of a factor is Shields-Watkins field? An article from CBS Radio a year ago mentioned the groundskeeper's practice of annually replacing sod and aerating the soil in August (instead of May) creates a shallow root system that makes the turf very slippery. Tennessee acknowledges issues with field at Neyland Stadium | WNML-AF

Strength and conditioning can't overcome a poor playing surface, imo.

Our field was an issue last year. The field this year has not been a problem at all.

This has to be the softest, most injury prone team I've seen in my 50+ years of watching UT football. Is it that they can't play with pain? Are they just not accustomed to contact? I might be wrong, but I think the "fear" of injury curtailed contact during spring and fall camps. Could this have led to a softened team? I'm tickled with how they've managed to win 8 and maybe 9 under these circumstances, but they simply appear to be a very, very soft team.....that stinks at tackling btw.

See y'all at the Sugar.

I played football for 11 years. From the time I was 6 years old until I graduated High school. I played for Germantown HS in West Tennessee. Now I never played college ball. I was too small and not talented enough. But I am very "UP" on how injuries can affect a team. But OP explain this to me. Why at the beginning of the year, when everyone was healthy, did we have so much trouble with App St., and Ohio? Florida had us beat and made the mistake that Jones made last year of letting their foot off the gas and let us climb back into the game. There is fundamentally something wrong with CBJ's game prep. If you can't see that then I "know" you have never put on a football helmet in your life.

I am not saying to fire Jones. I think that would be a bad idea at this point. But don't pretend like all of our problems are wrapped up in injuries. That dog just don't hunt.

Last edited:

VN Store

Back