Several rumors circulating

I would like to see a breakdown of expenses from a power 5 school for the costs for a scholarship football player per year.. Tuition, books, food, clothing, travel, support staff for each department, housing, medical.. Am I missing anything? I bet the nutrition and food expenses are phenomenal. They seem to have the best housing on campus.. I'm curious to know.

No way is college football coming back anytime soon. Trevor Lawrence has now tweeted a list of demands for the players, one of which is basically a union for college athletes. The players are being used by someone with an agenda.

College-athletes look to 'ultimately create a college football players association' as uncertain season approaches

So, most players want t bite the hand that feeds them. They are making their demands hich will end up eliminating College football as we know it. What will happen is the most talented high school players will try to straight go the NFL Most will not make the team and they will end up " pumping" gas or some other low paying labor related jobs. Those who reall want an education, will go to College, get an education and be prepared to earn a nice salary and live a productive life. Let the players who want to make their demands make them. Most will be left out and will pay the price for the rest of their lives. Thousands and thousands of football players have managed to remove themselves from very low income surroundings and become leaders in today's society. I would hate to see the greedy actions of a few of the "elite" playes take away the opportunity of the thousands of others who will not make it in the NFL.

Last edited:
Reactions: tbh and onevol74
So, most players want t bire the hand that feeds them. They are making their demands hich will end up eliminating College football as we know it. What will happen is the most talented high school players will try to straight go the NFL Most will not make the team and they will end up " pumping" gas or some other low paying labor related jobs. Those who reall want an education, will go to College, get an education and be prepared to earn a nice salary and live a productive life. Let the players who want to make their demands make them. Most will be left out and will pay the price for the rest of their lives. Thousands and thousands of football players have managed to remove themselves from very low income surroundings and become leaders in today's society. I would hate to see the greedy actions of a few of the "elite" playes take away the opportunity of the thousands of others who will not make it in the NFL.
The woke SJW's want to get rid of football altogether, because it's a uniquely American sport and contributes heavily to "nationalism". Also, it's hyper masculine. Women can't play and that doesn't check any of the equal and inclusive boxes. You get rid of college and high school football dies and then the NFL is gone

Dismissing this as purely a political issue completely oversimplifies what is going on. Some players perceive potential risk that is unknowable right now. It’s the same thing every sports league has been through as they talked about when and how to reopen.

To me, the rational move right now is to let everybody practice. Then around Sept 10th evaluate whether to play, delay again or cancel the fall season.

I would like to see a breakdown of expenses from a power 5 school for the costs for a scholarship football player per year.. Tuition, books, food, clothing, travel, support staff for each department, housing, medical.. Am I missing anything? I bet the nutrition and food expenses are phenomenal. They seem to have the best housing on campus.. I'm curious to know.

Easily 75K per student and probably closer to 100K. Now consider all the students getting that much value for sports that produce no real revenue.

Fans love seeing schools/teams/coaches bring in revenue but HATE when players get anything
Not true. The whole system is too big. Athletics in general are way overpriced and overrated. Most middle class people are beginning to have problems identifying with college athletes when they themselves have to work for a college education to make a decent life. Most non-athletes leave college with massive debt that haunts them for years.

Then you get these privileged athletes who get everything handed to them take it for granted. These guys live in palaces, get free meals, tutoring and whatever grades they need regardless of their learning effort. Then a few of them get drafted get big pay checks and poo poos on the rest of society.

If you really want us to respect these kids then give them a dose of reality. Let them have a farm league, ride charter buses, and stay in cheap hotel rooms like baseball players do. Then let them see if they can get a contract for the NFL.

In the meantime colleges and universities need to fulfill their purpose and get back to providing education for the masses.

Not true. The whole system is too big. Athletics in general are way overpriced and overrated. Most middle class people are beginning to have problems identifying with college athletes when they themselves have to work for a college education to make a decent life. Most non-athletes leave college with massive debt that haunts them for years.

Then you get these privileged athletes who get everything handed to them take it for granted. These guys live in palaces, get free meals, tutoring and whatever grades they need regardless of their learning effort. Then a few of them get drafted get big pay checks and poo poos on the rest of society.

If you really want us to respect these kids then give them a dose of reality. Let them have a farm league, ride charter buses, and stay in cheap hotel rooms like baseball players do. Then let them see if they can get a contract for the NFL.

In the meantime colleges and universities need to fulfill their purpose and get back to providing education for the masses.

Compare the pampered college football player to the hard grind a minor league baseball player lives for not much money. I think they're getting a much better deal, regardless of the lack of a paycheck. They graduate with a degree (hopefully) that will provide them with a lifetime of income. They won't get anywhere near the crowds, exposure, fame, and media attention in a minor league team that nobody watches and their paycheck won't even be six figures.

The trending hashtag #WeWantToPlay started by Clemson’s Trevor Lawrence, who has less need to actually play than anyone in America is so refreshing. I’m proud of these hundreds of players for participating and making their voices heard.
I have a feeling that was a calculated move from someone in the shadows directing the players and their demands. Have a few high profile players state they just want to play, then have them follow it up with what looks to be innocent and reasonable demands, and once everyone is at the table put the universities in a no win situation where they look bad no matter the outcome.

That’s the money grab skill. Critical thinking would come up with a plan to pay all scholarship athletes at all levels for all sports.

The likeness pay will do that. Profit sharing won’t. With the right accountant there is no profit.

So you are saying it is the students' job to come up with a plan to pay all scholarship athletes? That's hardly their job.

U can thank recruiting for that. Its hard to convince an athlete that he is a student 1st when he has 20 schools fighting for his services. Those guys help produce millions that benefit programs long after their free schooling is over. Imagine if football had a G-league like the NBA. College sports as a whole would be in serious trouble.

Something tells me college football is a lot more fun and rewarding than a G-league could be with empty stadiums and out of pocket expenses without the NFL money.

Why not? If someone is willing to pay it then that's what they're worth.

Because schools can barely afford it. They’re living season to season, breaking even on $150M in revenue, not putting enough money away for the future.

I’m just saying this may cause the market values on coaches to drop quite a bit when there are less schools throwing around ridiculous money because they are finally forced to get their spending under control.

In the long run schools like Tennessee can survive a year off but it will hurt. We don’t have $100M in reserve like UGA.

Do you really think that people who post on this board can do anything to stop college sports from destroying itself? I think people on this board are wise enough to not let this quagmire control their happiness and are smart enough to move on to more important things in their lives.
No I don’t think that. My disappointment lies with those who seem content to see it destroy itself and somewhat promote it. It’s a tough pill to swallow, especially this being a fan message board that discusses University of Tennessee athletics, football being the most discussed topic.
I’m certainly capable of moving on and finding other things to do, but why should I be happy about it? Why should anyone not be pissed about the potential downfall of something that brings more people together In this country than anything else? Politics are ruining sports and college football and a certain segment seems just fine with it, actually people are promoting it. If this is my only outlet to fight for that I will express my feelings towards those I disagree with.

No I don’t think that. My disappointment lies with those who seem content to see it destroy itself and somewhat promote it. It’s a tough pill to swallow, especially this being a fan message board that discusses University of Tennessee athletics, football being the most discussed topic.
I’m certainly capable of moving on and finding other things to do, but why should I be happy about it? Why should anyone not be pissed about the potential downfall of something that brings more people together In this country than anything else? Politics are ruining sports and college football and a certain segment seems just fine with it, actually people are promoting it. If this is my only outlet to fight for that I will express my feelings towards those I disagree with.
Agree with your frustration totally, but this is the world we live in today. It is only going to get worse.

Sports, quite frankly for me, is on a slippery slope as it is. All i need is one good reason to cast it from me as far as the East is from the West. The last 10 years or so I have not missed the NBA or the NFL one little bit. In fact I've found that its quite liberating. I would have considered myself a sports addict at one time in my life. I can drop this nonsense in a heartbeat, walk away, and never ever look back. And by the discussions I've had with dozens of people lately there's many in the same proverbial boat.
Seeya.

Reactions: Purple Tiger
I couldn’t imagine a world without sports.
Ever competed in a little league game , been under those Friday night lights or watched your child hit the game winning shot ? Some of the greatest moments in my life revolves around sports. Both of my kids play multiple sports and love it.
It’s imbedded in our DNA, we have to compete. Win or loose it’s who we are, life without sports 👎 . Play ball GBO !!!!
Absolutely! Done all those things! Been involved on a fairly deep level. And loved every minute of it. But some things are bigger than sports. As I confessed its taken many many years for me to come to that realization.

Not sure what the top American sport is going to be in 10 years but it doesn't look like football is on a good path right now.

Reactions: onevol74
Something tells me college football is a lot more fun and rewarding than a G-league could be with empty stadiums and out of pocket expenses without the NFL money.
Well if it were like the G-league they would be funded by the NFL. The NBA helped set up that league thats why u see 5 star recruits choosing to go get paid instead enjoying the college atmosphere. How many guys have u seen drafted time after time whose entire family depends on them finacially?? If they offer a couple 100 grand guys will forget all about fun trust me

That's not relevant. If I am an employee and the company doesn't make money, I expect to get paid for the work that I did. So, the principle is ....is this employment or not.

The....well, schools didn't used to make money so it was ok. But, now, they make money, so I want mine is BS.

That's another part of this that people haven't thought through. If it's employment at the University of Florida, it's employment at Mississippi Valley State.

And with that thought, it's employment in high school.

A cashier at Mom and Pop Hardware store is entitled to be paid the same way a cashier at Home Depot is entitled to be paid. The fact that one business barely breaks even and the other is a massive corporation doesn't change the fact that both are employees and both need to be paid.

So, what this sets up is a small number of schools who can pay and a whole bunch of schools who can't.
That bolded part is one of the many reasons I've thought for years is that the people clamoring the loudest for athletes to be paid will be the ones yelling the loudest that the system is "unfair" if they ever are paid.

According to Dan Patrick:

Rumor has it that the Big 10 and PAC 12 want to cancel their seasons. ACC and Big 12 are on the fence. SEC is trying to get other teams to join the SEC for just this season.

Sounds like the SEC is giving the other conferences the middle finger. I love it. If it plays out like this it could be very, very interesting.

VN Store

Back