Several rumors circulating

Two schollies agree. But there is no other way. The existing system must be rejected.

The players should go on strike due to working conditions rather than pay.

The working conditions for today’s P5 football players is what has to be rejected.

The likeness pay will take care of the wanting a raise problem. Give that a chance to kick and then the players will be paying more in taxes than most of the fans will make in a month.

The players should go on strike due to working conditions rather than pay.

The working conditions for today’s P5 football players is what has to be rejected.

The likeness pay will take care of the wanting a raise problem. Give that a chance to kick and then the players will be paying more in taxes than most of the fans will make in a month.

This is a good thought, it's the kind of ideas that must be brought forward to the negotiating table in good intention. It is about working conditions first.

That the reason for potentially cancelling the season is actually not COVID, or not COVID alone.

It's the organizing that the players are doing and how to respond to it.

I think it is that...but because it makes the liability threat that much greater.

I think it is that...but because it makes the liability threat that much greater.

The liability threat is paramount. Here is where the big donors, the politicians and bankers, the whole lot of those who run things behind the scenes come to, or have come to, the obvious conclusion this is a sh!! sandwich.

This is a good thought, it's the kind of ideas that must be brought forward to the negotiating table in good intention. It is about working conditions first.

You know better than that. It’s about millions of dollars and they want their cut.

They get to play a sport to pay for their education and if they are good enough they get to showcase their talent to professional teams and possibly go earn life changing money for themselves and anyone else they care to share with.

I’m not familiar with their working conditions. What needs to change when it comes to their working conditions.

It’s also the byproduct of a generation of indoctrination within our schools. Kids are no longer taught critical thinking skills. They are trained to conform to the new theology of wokeness. It’s pathetic and will lead to nothing but misery as their is no road to redemption or satisfaction with these people.

I think just the opposite. Athletes are beginning to question the folly of maintaining amateur status as the school they play for earn millions. Sounds like they are finally using their critical thinking skills.

I think just the opposite. Athletes are beginning to question the folly of maintaining amateur status as the school they play for earn millions. Sounds like they are finally using their critical thinking skills.
That’s the money grab skill. Critical thinking would come up with a plan to pay all scholarship athletes at all levels for all sports.

The likeness pay will do that. Profit sharing won’t. With the right accountant there is no profit.

Reactions: sgtwebb1
The problem is that there really isn’t a table to meet at. How (and why) do you collectively bargain with people who aren’t even employees?

Anybody watching the end of the PGA?! It’s great!!
It was a great tournament. There has been some great golf since the return from the hiatus.

The way things look, I’ll have even more time to fish, hunt, and play golf this fall. Honestly, I can do without football this year. It would be weird to not have football but at least I could sit in the tree stand without getting angry while following game threads and score updates.

College sports may need to fail. The money involved has been growing exponentially and it was mentioned many times to be unsustainable. Universities bringing in $150M in revenue shouldn’t be breaking even or only making single digit % profits. Coordinators shouldn’t be making $1M+ per year for amateur sports. There shouldn’t be 130 schools playing D1 football.

It may not be so bad for college sports to fail. A full reset might be what’s best overall.

Not sure if it's best or not, but it does seem inevitable and probably necessary for the survival of the sport.

And yet a sizable portion of this board are for players getting paid. I’m against it because of what we’re seeing now with these players groups, which would only get magnified when they start getting paid.

I'm against players getting paid for only 1 reason, its the end of the sport. Once you start down this road no one knows where it will end. One revenue stream will create 10 others as greed multiplies each issue until the athletic budget dwarfs the total school budget, is it really a school sport at that point. There will be lawsuits by the basket once money, agents and attorneys get involved. The schools will run from being a part of it.

I'm going on record with you guys so you know,if these kids plan to kneel when the star spangled banner is played,I will not contribute to that.I have loved the Vols since I was a kid and I'm 74 now.I just cannot disrespect the flag and what it represents to me!We will have to wait and see.I hope the coaches can talk to them and give them something else to show support of their causes!

I appreciate how you feel about this, I really do, because disrespect to the flag inherently bothers me, But the freedom to do these things is one of the reasons I served and retired as a Naval Aviator and officer. It is the protection of the most objectionable expressions of speech that protects the rights for us all. When you say it's ok to prohibit one form of political speech then you never know where that will stop.

The Navy has a program called Survival Evasion Resistance and Escape ("SERE") School. It's a multifaceted course that ends up with you spending several days in a POW camp complete with beatings and waterboarding. The idea is to teach a bunch of Type A's that it's really true that "there ain't a horse that can't be rode and a man that can't be throw'd" and that the way to survive captivity is to take the small victories and to know that you still have some control. The last day of the program the instructors would line you up and while verbally abusing you would drag an American flag around in the dirt and set it on fire. The POWs reacted negatively.

Yes that was disrespectful to the flag but it was about making a training point. The protestors are doing an extreme act to make you notice. I don't particularly care for it but I understand the reason. They are making an important societal point.

A lot of these players wouldn't be in college if the NFL had a minor league system. That would suit me just fine. Don't let the door hit you in the ass if you don't want to go to class. I will be happy watching the ones who want to be here.
As long as the players & coaches are kneeling while the anthem is playing I have zero interest in the NFL, NBA, MLB and other such sports. I can live without them. I can support their concerns/causes but not in that forum. I'm pretty sure McDonalds needs some new employees.

I appreciate how you feel about this, I really do, because disrespect to the flag inherently bothers me, But the freedom to do these things is one of the reasons I served and retired as a Naval Aviator and officer. It is the protection of the most objectionable expressions of speech that protects the rights for us all. When you say it's ok to prohibit one form of political speech then you never know where that will stop.

The Navy has a program called Survival Evasion Resistance and Escape ("SERE") School. It's a multifaceted course that ends up with you spending several days in a POW camp complete with beatings and waterboarding. The idea is to teach a bunch of Type A's that it's really true that "there ain't a horse that can't be rode and a man that can't be throw'd" and that the way to survive captivity is to take the small victories and to know that you still have some control. The last day of the program the instructors would line you up and while verbally abusing you would drag an American flag around in the dirt and set it on fire. The POWs reacted negatively.

Yes that was disrespectful to the flag but it was about making a training point. The protestors are doing an extreme act to make you notice. I don't particularly care for it but I understand the reason. They are making an important societal point.
Point taken. But I also served 21 years and, beside the point, as an American I have the choice of not watching or contributing to their financial revenue streams and the right to boycott those who support those lepers. They can protest all they want but when they cross the line and step on my toes then we know what to do don't we?

Football and the power it has gained needs a kick in the crotch. I’ll gladly skip a season or 3 to put the student back into student athlete. They need the university more than the university needs them.
Is it the student athletes' fault? Or these schools sucking on the teet of the sports media to get these billion dollar deals?

Seems like you anger is misdirected.

I'm going on record with you guys so you know,if these kids plan to kneel when the star spangled banner is played,I will not contribute to that.I have loved the Vols since I was a kid and I'm 74 now.I just cannot disrespect the flag and what it represents to me!We will have to wait and see.I hope the coaches can talk to them and give them something else to show support of their causes!
They're not even out there when the anthem is played, what are you talking about?

VN Store

Back