Several rumors circulating

I couldn’t imagine a world without sports.
Ever competed in a little league game , been under those Friday night lights or watched your child hit the game winning shot ? Some of the greatest moments in my life revolves around sports. Both of my kids play multiple sports and love it.
It’s imbedded in our DNA, we have to compete. Win or loose it’s who we are, life without sports 👎 . Play ball GBO !!!!
We can survive without sports and many other things we have proved that over the last 5 months.

We can survive without sports and many other things we have proved that over the last 5 months.
And I’ve not watched tv since, we’ve practiced softball ,baseball and football the whole time. My son is a freshman at Georgetown and his Football scholarship and many others provide tremendous financial assistance To families. Hopefully this doesn’t close anymore universities for good. Many are already dropping several sports that effect student athletes ability to pay tuition.

This is a good thread with some solid points on both sides. We need more threads like this.

First, I don't see a problem with colleges paying at least SOMETHING to the athletes. A 6 figure amount is out of the question though I would think. The nightmare about trying to get it all figured out is two fold: 1) what do you do about non revenue sports? No way in hell you pay someone on the golf team or Tennis team what you pay a football player. 2) Which colleges simply can't afford to do it? What about them? It could lead to a lot of shutdown programs.

Second, you have to remember that the NFL is a business....a HUGE business. If colleges don't play this year then does that get them thinking about starting farm leagues in order to make sure that they can get players developed properly? Straight from high school to farm leagues for the best players and they will be paid too.

Third, someone said that the student athletes need the universities more than the universities need them. I think that is a two way street. There is so much money generated for universities in the power 5 conferences with football.

Fourth, there are a ton of livelihoods that depend on collegiate sports. There are a lot of cars, houses, and bags of groceries purchased with money from college sports. I spreads far and wide too. From coaches, to radio talk show hosts, to they guy that sells tee shirts.

I’m not arguing that it’s reasonable; just that it was inevitable that eventually players were going to ask for a piece of that $45 million that every school gets in rights fees every year. I don’t know what the answer is, but it’s complicated for sure.

Teenagers having sex is inevitable too, but you don’t see parents lighting candles and putting on Barry White when their kids bring over their boy/girlfriends.

I will temper my comment a little in that the college players have not done the deed yet so I give them a break for now. There are probably some agitators who are exploiting the kids, many of who will "fall in line". But the NFL idiots are completely disrespecting the country, the flag and mostly me. Most of the NFL players are kneeling for a slogan on a serious issue, but probably don't know the truth of what they are doing. No more Falcon tickets for me until they clean up the mess. Maybe they will wake up when the money stops flowing.

I expect the Vols to win football games with the players they can get within the guidelines they have to deal with.

I think a player should earn a bonus for staying the full 4 years while graduating. If a player chooses to leave early they don’t get the bonus. If it takes 5 or 6 years bump up the bonus. If they get advanced degrees a bigger bonus.

This and the money they will be able to earn from their likeness should be enough.

Asking for others to take a pay cut is petty.

And why should a coach make 5M in the first place? Cap these ridiculous expenditures!

Who are you to decide what a coach is worth? Anyone’s worth in the free market is determined by whoever is willing to put a dollar value on that worth And pay them. You’re opinion of their worth doesn’t mean jack

This is a good thread with some solid points on both sides. We need more threads like this.

First, I don't see a problem with colleges paying at least SOMETHING to the athletes. A 6 figure amount is out of the question though I would think. The nightmare about trying to get it all figured out is two fold: 1) what do you do about non revenue sports? No way in hell you pay someone on the golf team or Tennis team what you pay a football player. 2) Which colleges simply can't afford to do it? What about them? It could lead to a lot of shutdown programs.

Second, you have to remember that the NFL is a business....a HUGE business. If colleges don't play this year then does that get them thinking about starting farm leagues in order to make sure that they can get players developed properly? Straight from high school to farm leagues for the best players and they will be paid too.

Third, someone said that the student athletes need the universities more than the universities need them. I think that is a two way street. There is so much money generated for universities in the power 5 conferences with football.

Fourth, there are a ton of livelihoods that depend on collegiate sports. There are a lot of cars, houses, and bags of groceries purchased with money from college sports. I spreads far and wide too. From coaches, to radio talk show hosts, to they guy that sells tee shirts.

You make some good points. I know there are some kids who don't have a lot of resources. They can't work even during the summer and winter breaks so what do they do? But their scholarship and other amenities that go along with it are valuable assets. There is a good argument for providing more than they have now, but your point on the other sports and even non athletes is concerning. Talk about getting the women and "justice warriors" fired up. Is this the proverbial "slippery slope" that breaks the bank?

Who are you to decide what a coach is worth? Anyone’s worth in the free market is determined by whoever is willing to put a dollar value on that worth And pay them. You’re opinion of their worth doesn’t mean jack

I don't care whether or not my opinion is acceptable to any coach much less those who are grossly overpaid. Apparently, you do. This is the problem, the essence of the problem. Over-adulation of the sports-material world. One day, hopefully soon, as a species, we will mature and be able to enjoy sports for what it is instead of how it feeds your ego.

Last edited:
You make some good points. I know there are some kids who don't have a lot of resources. They can't work even during the summer and winter breaks so what do they do? But their scholarship and other amenities that go along with it are valuable assets. There is a good argument for providing more than they have now, but your point on the other sports and even non athletes is concerning. Talk about getting the women and "justice warriors" fired up. Is this the proverbial "slippery slope" that breaks the bank?

Could be.

Perhaps the bank needs breaking <gasp>

Reactions: onevol74
Could be.

Perhaps the bank needs breaking <gasp>

Maybe, but whose pocket does it come out of? Ever thought of that? Taxpayers? Ticket buyers? Student scholarship funds? Eliminating "minor sports"? Is there a big sugar daddy out there somewhere?

It's like the old saying--"Don't tax you, don't tax me tax that man behind the tree."

Is football at rich colleges the only sport that survives (except maybe some Men's BB)? (Wait til the Title 9 warriors get a hold of that one.) Will players become employees and have to pay income taxes?

Reactions: tbh
Maybe, but whose pocket does it come out of? Ever thought of that? Taxpayers? Ticket buyers? Student scholarship funds? Eliminating "minor sports"? Is there a big sugar daddy out there somewhere?

It's like the old saying--"Don't tax you, don't tax me tax that man behind the tree."

Is football at rich colleges the only sport that survives (except maybe some Men's BB)? (Wait til the Title 9 warriors get a hold of that one.) Will players become employees and have to pay income taxes?

Naw, I never thought of any of that. o_O To you. those are major hurdles. To me, simple contract negotiations.

Glad to hear that about Ramsey as Park Ranger suggested that one but said there has been little rain in area so falls might not be what we see in pictures. We fell in love with the park. We had our kids so we did Grotto Falls and Gatlinburg Trail. We ventured around to other places as well but kids enjoyed those hikes. Had three black bear on our cabin porch which was also a highlight. Hope to come back soon.

Smokies trails are being loved to death. I moved away for 20 yrs and just moved back. I am amazed how many people you see going to places like Midnight Hole, Mt Sterling, Cataloochee etc...places you used to be able to go and see just a handful of others - and no one in winter. Hell, even Max Patch and Roan Highlands outside the Park are packed on the weekends. I found some solitude on the Balsam Mtn Trail recently, though. I think the internet and GPS has allowed lots of folks who couldn’t read a map find places they normally wouldn’t go.

NFL players disrespecting our flag and country. Now college players acting like union employees. Bye Bye Football. Been watching replays and old movies. Playing some tennis and not depending on idiots and exploited kids to entertain me.
Football to you....✌️

It's complicated but easily doable. It's a must, this situation should no longer thrive, it has been and is a pathetic joke how the athletes are being milked.
Create you a farm league so they can have options. As a former academic student your post is a joke.

I don't care whether or not my opinion is acceptable to any coach much less those who are grossly overpaid. Apparently, you do. This is the problem, the essence of the problem. Over-adulation of the sports-material world. One day, hopefully soon, as a species, we will mature and be able to enjoy sports for what it is instead of how it feeds your ego.

Feeds my ego.......ok I’m out

This whole stick it to the man thing is hilarious. Let’s stop paying good coaches? Sure let’s do that and watch them go out the door to the NFL. For this being a college sports message board with people that love UT sports there sure are a helluva lot of people hell bent on seeing college sports destroyed.
Do you really think that people who post on this board can do anything to stop college sports from destroying itself? I think people on this board are wise enough to not let this quagmire control their happiness and are smart enough to move on to more important things in their lives.

Reactions: Volfaninfl2

VN Store

Back