Seth Greenberg on Grant Williams.

In the 2-3 games I've watched with Duke, I have to say RJB is better and more rounded at this moment. But, if I had the #1 pick in the NBA, this would be one EASY decision. I mean heck, Grant is more well rounded as a CBB player. But, that upside.
Yeah of course, the upside is what you're buying. Barrett or Grant are more well-rounded players already but have more obvious ceilings. They are great players, but closer to being finished products and closer to their max potential Zion's ceiling...well, it's hard to tell exactly where it even is.

That kid is such a physical freak that he likely could have made an impact on an NBA team last year as a 17-year-old high school senior. Be some solid, consistent contributor? No, but do something that made your jaw hit the floor, especially for a 17-year-old? Yeah, probably.

ESPN appeals to a mass audience, not a college basketball junkie audience. As others in the thread have said, people who follow CBB, no matter what team they are fans of, are well-aware of how good Grant Williams is. He's no secret.

Zion Williamson and Duke are more recognizable to a mass audience than Grant Williams and Tennessee. The fact that Greenberg broke down film for a couple minutes about Grant shows the kind of season he's having. Tennessee is not a basketball school and isn't as attention-grabbing as a basketball program as the blue blood programs they spend most of their time talking about.
You’re right, but still...

I’d be willing to bet Grant has the most And-1 plays in the country. He just knows how to finish with contact. It’s gotten to the point that I expect him to make the shot and go to the free throw line. That is a skill that is hard to achieve and he does it better than anyone.

Reactions: feathersax
I’d be willing to bet Grant has the most And-1 plays in the country. He just knows how to finish with contact. It’s gotten to the point that I expect him to make the shot and go to the free throw line. That is a skill that is hard to achieve and he does it better than anyone.

I don't know how he does it. And that swipe the ball down low into the defenders arms then pull up and shoot it, gets the foul every time. That poor #1 for WVU got whistled for it Saturday and was beside himself. I know he watched film all week and prepped. Grant still got him even tho he knew better.
Love watching that guy play.

What? They even talk on their shows about how they for the most part only follow pro players or the big name programs.

The CBB guys know GW. That is why they have experts.

I think most sports people know Duke's one and done guys who have been celebrities for years already. CBB experts know about GW. Not the average Sportscenter anchor who cover highlights form all sports and all leagues.

True but you'd think they would know the best player on the #1 team.

Y’all don’t even know how good Zion is. That dude is a generational talent. That’s why he gets talked about. Texas wasn’t even a top 20 team and they did the same thing with Durant a long time ago.

Reactions: k-town_king
At one time I watched at least one or two SportsCenter's every day. Along with shows like PTI & Around the Horn. Are those even still on?

Now I only watch games. It's probably been 4 or 5 years since I last watched a episode of SportsCenter.
I'm right there with you! Even when I watch the games, I mute the TV. I prefer to use my own judgement of how good a player or team is, and I don't need the announcers hype.

I don't know how he does it. And that swipe the ball down low into the defenders arms then pull up and shoot it, gets the foul every time. That poor #1 for WVU got whistled for it Saturday and was beside himself. I know he watched film all week and prepped. Grant still got him even tho he knew better.
Love watching that guy play.
That’s probably part of it too. I’m sure Grant watches a ton of film of defenders being lazy with their arms instead of playing with their arms away from the offensive player. Freedom of movement has been a huge point of emphasis by the officials the past few years and smart offensive players are taking full advantage of it. I mean I hate to see someone go to the FT line 23 times in a game but a foul is a foul and they could literally call a foul on the guy defending Grant every time down the floor because there’s so much contact. I feel like sometimes they let stuff go to keep the flow of the game going or else he would be going to the line 30+ times per game.

That pretty much sums ESPN up. They don't know one of the best players in the country on the #1 team in the nation? Nice work doing your job. Just keep rolling those Zion highlights and talking about Duke and Kentucky.
Grant could average 40 points and 15 rebounds/game and still will not win POY. That decision was made before the season started. And Grant will be classy about it which makes me appreciate him all the more. ESPN only talks him up because he is good for hyping their games.

Reactions: OWB
Grant could average 40 points and 15 rebounds/game and still will not win POY. That decision was made before the season started. And Grant will be classy about it which makes me appreciate him all the more. ESPN only talks him up because he is good for hyping their games.

CBB NPOY goes to the best, not most hyped. It's not the Heisman.

ESPN only talks up anyone to hype their games. They talk up teams and players that people want to see.

What do you expect? Sympathy coverage for teams and players people don't care about?

[QUOTE="You haven't watched many games then. He handles the ball better than GW. Rebounds and defends better. More efficient. Nice mid range game also.

I love GW's game. Zion is like GW with Lebron's athleticism though.

There is a great reason he will be the number 1 pick. He could end up an All Time Great.[/QUOTE]

Actually I have watched Duke on many occasions this season, Zion does not have a 10' to 15', mid-range jumper! He rebounds but extend him on defense beyond 10' from the bucket and he is not very good!

Give me a break, GW has been playing D1 college ball for 3 years developing both defensively and offensively - GW's game is literally years ahead of Zion! Period!

GBO

When ESPN got into politics and other things that was it for me. It's things like what you've posted that are reasons why I have zero regrets of no longer watching/listening to them
Yeah I’m with you. In my circle of friends who I travel with to games from NY to Florida regularly NEVER watch this ESPN junk. And I mean that’s all it is. Once you recognize it you can’t hardly stand the site of it. I watch GAMES ONLY and it’s harder and harder to do that. Usually have the sound down though. But Grant is the personification of a team player knowing his role and strengths and plays to it. And if he forgets he’s got Rick Barnes to remind him😂😂😂.

Y’all don’t even know how good Zion is. That dude is a generational talent. That’s why he gets talked about. Texas wasn’t even a top 20 team and they did the same thing with Durant a long time ago.
It isn't the talking about him on a show like SportsCenter that gets annoying, necessarily. I just thought it was particularly obnoxious they couldn't stop referring to him during the Kentucky/Auburn game the other night - a game between 2 good teams with multiple really good players. Kentucky is a blue blood program itself playing right in front of them, and they still couldn't go without mentioning Duke and Zion.

When ESPN got into politics and other things that was it for me. It's things like what you've posted that are reasons why I have zero regrets of no longer watching/listening to them
For us older guys, I compare them to MTV. When MTV just played music they were great, then they got in to reality TV and other stuff and it went to trash. In the 90s and early 2000s when ESPN just talked sports they were great then when obama got elected they felt the need to get political and go into pop culture. Only time I watch is when there is a game on

VN Store

Back