Serious about basketball? Move students...

I have been to many games were there were more students sitting in the other sections than in the standing section. I don’t think there is as much interest by the students as everyone thinks.

Good point. The students already have the entire area behind the goal at UT's end. It's rarely anywhere close to being filled up. Relocating a passive student section won't make the TBAC&A much more raucous.

Good point. The students already have the entire area behind the goal at UT's end. It's rarely anywhere close to being filled up. Relocating a passive student section won't make the TBAC&A much more raucous.
I like getting rid of the 2-3 rows of courtside all around the court...this would move the fans closer to the action thus giving it more of that “on top of you feeling”. I think the energy is contagious, and it would also move the students closer...could potentially even consider doing students stands in that space vacated by courtside seats instead.

I like getting rid of the 2-3 rows of courtside all around the court...this would move the fans closer to the action thus giving it more of that “on top of you feeling”. I think the energy is contagious, and it would also move the students closer...could potentially even consider doing students stands in that space vacated by courtside seats instead.
I don't think that would happen with those court side seats. The folks that pay the HUGE BUCKS have those seats, and since many of them are heavy donors, that is probably not an option.

Can't. They sold lifetime seat licenses for about $1,000 each to raise funds to build the arena. It's a contract. Short sighted move by Woodruff and Devoe.

Students are courtside anyway. Just at the wrong end to harass opponents at the end of games.
This. It's been explained a hundred times. It sucks, but it is what it is for now.

I don't think that would happen with those court side seats. The folks that pay the HUGE BUCKS have those seats, and since many of them are heavy donors, that is probably not an option.
Same thing applies to those grandfathered into the sideline seats

Moving students to both ends would be an interesting idea. There's no doubt more energy at the student end during most games. There is also the possibility that students would be more inclined to go to games and be rowdy if they had sideline seats. I think it would help.

I completely understand the logistic/legal difficulties in making a change. The question is: how serious are we about a change in culture?

Get students out of upper deck, all 4500 into lower level and behind BOTH baskets
Lol, there are hardly ever 4500 student at a game. Maybe at KY game but that's it . I have season tix adjacent to the student section and 75% of the time you hardly even know they are there

The worry in trying to raise the amount needed to get approval was having a guaranteed funding amount so that local and state wouldn't foot any of the extra funds beyond that which they agreed to. It was a new toy for Devoe and the administration, and they wanted that new toy. The thinking was that 24,000 plus versus 13,000 was a good trade-off and ultimately the arena would be a win-win. But, I am sure the student involvement was not as well-planned as it should have been.
When I was at UT we use to have to camp out to get student Tix to the big games at Stokley. While there weren't 4500 student tix available, students were a lot more interested back then

Last edited:
When I was at UT we use to have to camp out to get student Tix to the big games . While there weren't 4500 student tix available, students were a lot more interested back then

I was a student during the Wade Houston era. A depressing time for a basketball fan

When I was at UT we use to have to camp out to get student Tix to the big games at Stokley. While there weren't 4500 student tix available, students were a lot more interested back then
Yes, I was there during the Ernie and Bernie era, and I remember many cold nights standing in line just hoping to get tickets to the good games. The interest and demand was huge by students as there was always greater demand than supply.

Yes, I was there during the Ernie and Bernie era, and I remember many cold nights standing in line just hoping to get tickets to the good games. The interest and demand was huge by students as there was always greater demand than supply.

Much smaller arena, no TV most of the time and a decade of quality, competitive teams before that helped build that demand. One of the most amazing things about Tennessee men’s basketball is the fan support is it’s still strong despite the administration trying to kill it repeatedly.

not only students but fans seem to be more boisterous than we are now...guess it's a part of the BVS...:D

GO VOLS...RECRUIT LIKE HECK!

Nothing is likely to happen until those folks die off, and as TGO said that’s assuming those contracts don’t role over to next of kin.

Think there is another solution, but it will require eliminating some other uses of the arena. Saw-cut the floor out and drop the elevation approximately 8 ft. The space you all are talking about around the court is sufficient to put in about 6 rows of standard bleachers without displacing any current seat-holders. That would create seating for around 1k of the rowdies students each game and still honor all the contracts.
As I said this will eliminate the extra room needed to have monster truck shows and that other garbage there, but it is time it was just a basketball arena and not Knoxville's assembly center.

Think there is another solution, but it will require eliminating some other uses of the arena. Saw-cut the floor out and drop the elevation approximately 8 ft. The space you all are talking about around the court is sufficient to put in about 6 rows of standard bleachers without displacing any current seat-holders. That would create seating for around 1k of the rowdies students each game and still honor all the contracts.
As I said this will eliminate the extra room needed to have monster truck shows and that other garbage there, but it is time it was just a basketball arena and not Knoxville's assembly center.

Can't drop the court level. Hundreds of mixers dumped concrete in the massive sinkhole underneath the arena.

VN Store

Back