Seed List

19 overall

So they didn’t stick strictly to the seed curve when building the bracket. Houston was the last 2 seed which should play the top seed, but they were pushed down to Illinois region to avoid the top seeds in a region from being from the same conference. There is a bracketing principle that the top 4 seed lines in each region are a different conference but this year that was going to be unavoidable.

That’s how we got stuck w OK State. Had they stuck to the S curve we would be playing Purdue. But they switched them to avoid a Big 10 matchup in the sweet 16. Bracketing principles say teams from the same conference can meet as early as the second round if they have only played once, which Illinois and Purdue only have.

Last edited:
Duke
Kentucky
Toledo

All missed the Tourney, basically the same IMO. 🤷🏻‍♂️

I dont get why the committee shuffled the 3 seeds around so much from their position in the s curve. Typically the best 3 seed would go in the same region as the #1 overall seed. But they have Kansas who is the worst 3 seed in Gonzaga’s region. It’s not for rebalancing the strength of the regions because it still left Baylor’s region at a 5 seed gap from the weakest region (adding up the true seed of the top 4 teams in each region - the committee does this to ensure balance and typically won’t allow more than 5 seed difference). There were other, easy ways of placement that would have kept to the s-curve, ensured a better balance, and still kept to bracketing principles

Joe Lunardi was the 83rd “most accurate” bracketologist this year on the matrix. That’s out of 204 entries. Many of those on the bottom are just raw computer outputs.

So they didn’t stick strictly to the seed curve when building the bracket. Houston was the last 2 seed which should play the top seed, but they were pushed down to Illinois region to avoid the top seeds in a region from being from the same conference. There is a bracketing principle that the top 4 seed lines in each region are a different conference but this year that was going to be unavoidable.

That’s how we got stuck w OK State. Had they stuck to the S curve we would be playing Purdue. But they switched them to avoid a Big 10 matchup in the sweet 16. Bracketing principles say teams from the same conference can meet as early as the second round if they have only played once, which Illinois and Purdue only have.
It's a little weird how they did it. I would love a Purdue matchup over ok st. I wonder if they matched up Cade and Keon for the scouts and TV ratings. I'm sure that matchup might peak some casual interest

VN Store

Back