SECs #1 OL group returning, #2 QB group, #1 defensive backfield returning...

But you still think UT can win with JG's very inconsistent play and fatal flaws.... against pretty strong evidence to the contrary. As a RS Jr he had a month to prepare for a mid-major caliber D... and laid an egg. That's following the awful performance against Vandy. It isn't the bad performances that are the anomalies. It is the sporadic games like Auburn and Mizzou.

I don't see UT's QB room as #2 based on established performance. I like the potential shown by Maurer and Shrout. But neither proved they were ready to be SEC starters this past year. The new guys are an unknown. Hill may become a really good QB but was middling at Maryland. JG just is what he is... and it isn't good enough.
Definitely agree! The weird thing about Pruitt is he's got that "be bold" mantra which is reflected in play calls like the on side kick in Gator Bowl, but when it comes to QB's, he definitely favors conservative (ball security) over fire-power. I don't disagree...if you've got a strong D and don't turn the ball over, you're going to have a chance to win. To me the biggest indicator that JG not going to be the starter next year is that we'll have SIX QB's reporting for spring practice.

No offense but since your in the play evaluation biz and think JG is a great QB. Your view on who is an NFL caliber player may be lacking
There are close to 20 NFL players to be on next years roster, we've closed the talent gap significantly as compared to the big boys of the SEC. The most impressive thing Pruitt has done so far is the way he's flipped the roster in 2 short years.

#1 STs group returning, a solid LB and DL grouping, adequate RB and WR core on the roster. This is easily the best roster we have fielded since Fulmer. There is gonna be some insane competition for playing time this spring. Any incoming freshmen that doesn't enroll early is going to find it tough to see the field.

Only 4 EEs this year: Bailey, Bailey and 2 others.

I feel like the drop-off at WR won't be as bad as I originally feared. Maybe with improved QB play they will be just as effective. TEs, we should utilize more on passing downs now that our OL is much improved and they don't have to block every down.

DL will be solid.

Secondary: lose Warrior but are still deep at Safety with Theo, Flowers and others. CBs are experienced. Alontae Taylor needs to play a little smarter. I felt like he had a sophomore slump at times this season. Shamburger is looking really good now.

LBs: Hurts to lose Bituli and Taylor but Crouch, Harrison, To'oTo'o will be awesome and we have others emerging like Bennett and Peterson was starting to figure things out too.

OL: :cool:

RBs: Gray and Chandler...even Jordan are very capable. Gray is a menace in the open field. We just need a big power bruiser like Crouch to join them.

QBs: This is our wild card. If Bailey makes the leap or JG shows a modest improvement in year 2 of OC Chaney, then we can be a special team. I think we need to have a few plays set aside each for Maurer too as a scrambling QB. We just need him to stop forcing plays into tight coverage.

Special Teams: Work on the punting. That transfer WR kid from USCw is a great returner so we can put him to work.

Reactions: PulaskiVolFan
Definitely agree! The weird thing about Pruitt is he's got that "be bold" mantra which is reflected in play calls like the on side kick in Gator Bowl, but when it comes to QB's, he definitely favors conservative (ball security) over fire-power. I don't disagree...if you've got a strong D and don't turn the ball over, you're going to have a chance to win. To me the biggest indicator that JG not going to be the starter next year is that we'll have SIX QB's reporting for spring practice.

Im purdy sure that 6th QB is according to HS position only. No real intention to play him there more than an occasional wildcat PKG. He'll be a WR convert like Cedric Wilson, Jeremaine Copeland, Kelly Washington, or JJ most likely.

Nonetheless, JG sure ain't gonna roll into fall camp secure in his position IMO.

No offense but since your in the play evaluation biz and think JG is a great QB. Your view on who is an NFL caliber player may be lacking
I've never once said JG is great, not a single time. You people are consumed with him and it's getting old. He gets shredded on this board and I think it's pathetic how Vol fans are treating him considering he's All-Vol. Not a single one of you would walk into the locker room and say the things you say about him.

Reactions: irish1485
I would say this to JG:

“You’re a fine young man, and I consider you a proud member of the VFL family. You’re about the toughest guy I’ve seen under center in a long time, and we gave you some horrible coaching and OLs your first few years.

That said, for whatever reason, the college game at this level always seems to move too quickly for you. With that in mind, and given the needs of the team, you simply aren’t the best option at QB.”

Is that slamming him?? No. It’s real, and the truth. Not sure why the JG debate in here is always so heated and the supporters always make it so personal.

Reactions: EastTNVol6240
I've never once said JG is great, not a single time. You people are consumed with him and it's getting old. He gets shredded on this board and I think it's pathetic how Vol fans are treating him considering he's All-Vol. Not a single one of you would walk into the locker room and say the things you say about him.

It should be his 18th game started. Some of you have no idea how a qb develops and have no idea at how bad butch was at developing QBs. JG will be regarded as one of the top QBs in the league next year.

So being regarded as one of the top QBs in the league is not the same as being "great"?

Im purdy sure that 6th QB is according to HS position only. No real intention to play him there more than an occasional wildcat PKG. He'll be a WR convert like Cedric Wilson, Jeremaine Copeland, Kelly Washington, or JJ most likely.

Nonetheless, JG sure ain't gonna roll into fall camp secure in his position IMO.
I "think/hope" Crouch is our Wildcat. I think Pruitt doesn't pull too many punches, so if he thinks Holiday has some different skills, more directionally going towards what NFL is doing now, then he'll get his shot. That being said, Bailey coming in as early enrolled should pay dividends towards moving him into a better spot to compete, out of the gate...HOPE.

I was ready to see someone else just because I thought it might be a better investment. But I get what Pruitt did. I don't necessarily think it is who he wants to be. Neither Maurer nor Shrout were ready. And JG has those fatal flaws. Pruitt tried to manage it.

The fact that he was ultimately willing to replace JG with Maurer indicates to me that he was not conservative by choice. Had Maurer not gotten hurt then there's a good chance he would have remained the starter.

Bet me. Id ask him why amidst death threats to himself and harrassment of his sister. Why is he not taking it serious??? More over. Why is his father (ex NYPD officer) not said a word about it or stood up for his family? Or better yet. Why does only he pronounce his last name different??

#1 STs group returning, a solid LB and DL grouping, adequate RB and WR core on the roster. This is easily the best roster we have fielded since Fulmer. There is gonna be some insane competition for playing time this spring. Any incoming freshmen that doesn't enroll early is going to find it tough to see the field.
I would say #1 st group, #1 secondary, #1 oline, top 5 LB group, top 4 RB group,

Reactions: PulaskiVolFan
I "think/hope" Crouch is our Wildcat. I think Pruitt doesn't pull too many punches, so if he thinks Holiday has some different skills, more directionally going towards what NFL is doing now, then he'll get his shot. That being said, Bailey coming in as early enrolled should pay dividends towards moving him into a better spot to compete, out of the gate...HOPE.
Holiday is a EE.

You lost me at #2 QB group

Reactions: KBVol
At best, we have the 5th most talent in the SEC and we are probably 7th. Tap the brakes a little bit....

I'm afraid he's right, it's fine to have optimism, but Tennessee's talent is like "BOM" said, "5th best talent at best" in the SEC......says it all........but slowly we are getting there
Go Vols

I can agree with some of this. However.....we have the #2 QB group?...with Jarrett Guarantano? No, not close.

And then #1 Special Teams? How so? We have the best place kicker maybe in the country but we don’t have a punter, we lost our punt returner and we don’t even attempt to return kickoffs anymore.

Agree with you on the OL and DL, which is obviously huge and probably most important. Also like our DBs. Think we’re really gonna miss Bituli at linebacker and we’re gonna have growing pains there because of youth and inexperience. Lotta bodies at WR, but who will emerge as legit SEC WRs/our #1 and #2 targets? Like Gray and Chandler at running back, but we still have no stud, top end SEC running backs, just good, solid above average guys there.

Overall, I agree with your primary point that this is probably the best overall roster since Fulmers teams, just kinda get there a little differently in evaluating which areas make it so.

Yes, I believe we have the #2 QB room in the SEC going into spring practice behind only Fl. Mond at A&M is just ok, Nix at Auburn just decent, after those 2 there isn't anybody else even close. Al will be decent but that's just because of all the talent of their supporting class. I would not trade our QB room with any team in the conference.
Did you watch Guarantano play last year? Awful against GaState and BYU, terrible against Florida, Georgia and Alabama. Played well vs MissSt and SCar, was ok vs UAB, was really good vs Missouri, was good vs Ky for a half, and then finished the season by being straight trash vs both Vandy and Indiana. He’s a lower half of the SEC QB who you can’t trust half to half, quarter to quarter, possession to possession, play to play, despite just finishing his 4th year as a collegiate QB.

Maurer is far more talented, a much better play maker than Guarantano (in very limited time last year), but he’s still raw, needs more experience and improvement and is injury prone. Coaches clearly don’t think much of Shrout despite him flashing a little last year, and although Bailey brings a ton of hope and potential, we have no idea what he will be as an SEC QB.

Yes, I believe we have the #2 QB room in the SEC going into spring practice behind only Fl. Mond at A&M is just ok, Nix at Auburn just decent, after those 2 there isn't anybody else even close. Al will be decent but that's just because of all the talent of their supporting class. I would not trade our QB room with any team in the conference.

This is absurd. Most people if given the opportunity of taking Tennessee's QB room or what's behind the curtain, would take what's behind the curtain.

Now, I give the true freshman somewhat of a pass because they are true freshman. However, to be frank, there are a lot of true freshman that would have beaten out JG. And actually, one of Tennessee's may have if he didn't keep getting injured.

Furthermore, all of the legitimate excuses that Tennessee used to have regarding QB play largely didn't exist last year. By and large, the QB had pass protection. Tennessee usually had a running game. We know they had WR's and everyone here loves the offensive coordinator.

I think with a QB room worth a crud, Tennessee beats BYU and Georgia State (to be fair Georgia State was a team effort) and all of these wins that honestly could have gone the other way would have been much more comfortable with a QB room that didn't suck out loud (I'm looking at you Kentucky, Missouri, and Indiana). And Vanderbilt would have been the epic blowout y'all were looking for.

I would take (in no particular order) Trask, Mond, Hillinski, Plumlee, Jones, and Nix over the Tennessee QB room right now. And I'd take what's behind the curtain at LSU and Georgia, too.

Have you seen Bama's QB room? Mac Jones and those behind him are better than JG, Maurer and Shrout. Bailey is elite, but they just signed Bryce Young, the #2 QB in the class. I think our QB room looks better than a lot of sec teams, but I wouldn't put it over the tide's.

VN Store

Back