Secondary

I haven't heard anyone call them "horrible" but I am just concerned by several games about them.

next year....Allen: 20 INTS-90 TKLS, Hefney: 18 INTS-50 TKLS, Fellows: 21 INTS-100TKLS

thats how its gonna be.....:)

Now, I know that our secondary was not the best last year, but let's look at these stats shall we?

1998 pass defense gave up 2,425 yards in the regular season.
2004 pass defense gave up 2,458 yards in the regular season.

1998 rush defense gave up 1,052 yards in the regular season.
2004 rush defense gave up 1,298 yards in the regular season.

Dare I say that our secondary won't be worse than 2004 and there is not much difference between the numbers from our NC season and last year.

Both offense and defense should be really solid next year. Can Riggs and company rush for over 200 yards in 7 regular season games like our 98 squad did? Probably not, but we will make up for it with our QB's and WR's...

I think the defense as a whole will be better this season. I think that it all starts up front with the D-line. They say this is the best group in a long time. I think if the front line fills gaps the way their supposed to and puts pressure on the quarterbacks then the linebackers will be able to fly around and make plays, and the secondary can consentrate more on coverage instead of having to come up and make touchdown saving tackle every play. With the skill that we have coming back their is no reason whatsoever that this defense shouldn't dominate in the SEC.

Originally posted by Orangewhiteblood@May 3, 2005 1:10 PM
Now, I know that our secondary was not the best last year, but let's look at these stats shall we?

Dare I say that our secondary won't be worse than 2004 and there is not much difference between the numbers from our NC season and last year. 

Both offense and defense should be really solid next year.  Can Riggs and company rush for over 200 yards in 7 regular season games like our 98 squad did?  Probably not, but we will make up for it with our QB's and WR's...

And let me just add to what I stated here....

Good offensive ball control can make our defense even that much better as proven in 98.

Last year our secondary worried me from the Florida game on but the flip flopping worked abit.

Heffeny was a stud his first year and i'm sure it will continue. Hopefully Morley will be the same way as a freshman.

Our biggest offseason signing was getting Allen back, our secondary and defense is heaps better with him. Our D line will no doubt help the secondary!

UTVOLFAN- Kobe is NO Jordan, not even close! :angry: Jordan was not only a scorer but also a team leader and his D was lights out.

remember, we played what 5 freshmen last year at safety and corner.

we have tons of experience now. plus we have allen back at corner.

these guys will be really good this year.

they could make or break our season.

Yeah, we played a bunch of freshman last year and they only gave up 33 more passing yards than our 98 National Championship secondary did. Not too shabby for a bunch of freshmen...

Originally posted by Orangewhiteblood@May 3, 2005 6:23 PM
Yeah, we played a bunch of freshman last year and they only gave up 33 more passing yards than our 98 National Championship secondary did. Not too shabby for a bunch of freshmen...

They played well at times, it just seems like we were burned deep for big plays too many times....the consistancy level needs to be raised and I think all the experience they gained as freshman is going to pay dividends this year!

We had an irradic squad last year, period. Any team that gives up 532 passing yards to Kentucky and Vanderbilt in back-to-back games can not be considered good by any measure. Fulmer may say that we're improved, but the fact is our defense, especially our backfield, should have a big chip on their collective shoulders after the performances in the homestretch of last season.

Originally posted by milohimself@May 3, 2005 10:38 PM
We had an irradic squad last year, period. Any team that gives up 532 passing yards to Kentucky and Vanderbilt in back-to-back games can not be considered good

I agree with you but Fellows didn't play in either of those games. Well, he played at the very end of the Vandy game and came up with a pick to end it. Obviously the secondary struggled all season, but even more so with Fellows out of the game.

Whatever the case is, there is no excuse for performing like that against those teams. If we do, because our d-backs are injured, then it means we had a problem training them and it's ultimately our fault. Doesn't matter if we were playing 3rd string against them, our defense needs to play like it's got a chip on it's shoulder. They need to play like they need redemtion for being scared by the Kentucky freakin' Wildcats of all teams. They need to play like they're making up for allowing Jason Campbell to pass all over us in Atlanta and costing us a trip to New Orleans.

Our secondary was ranked 88th in the nation in pass defense. We started last season having lost five of our top six defensive backs from the year before and had three projected starters injured or suspended last season and they only gave up 33 more yards than our 98 team. While it's not great, they overcame a lot of stuff and I look for our secondary to be night and day from last season to this one if we don't have the injuries again... :cross:

Originally posted by Orangewhiteblood+May 3, 2005 12:15 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Orangewhiteblood &#064; May 3, 2005 12:15 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteBegin-Orangewhiteblood@May 3, 2005 1:10 PM
Now, I know that our secondary was not the best last year, but let&#39;s look at these stats shall we?

Dare I say that our secondary won&#39;t be worse than 2004 and there is not much difference between the numbers from our NC season and last year. 

Both offense and defense should be really solid next year.  Can Riggs and company rush for over 200 yards in 7 regular season games like our 98 squad did?  Probably not, but we will make up for it with our QB&#39;s and WR&#39;s...

And let me just add to what I stated here....

Good offensive ball control can make our defense even that much better as proven in 98.[/quote]
Don&#39;t know for sure, but I bet we forced more turnovers in &#39;98 which helped us in the W-L column - especially the Florida game. Against Florida our stats weren&#39;t great but we forced fumbles and a timely INT by Deon Grant helped us get the W even though we were statistically outplayed.

The 1998 team was good but had all the intangibles also... like Al Wilson. We need a leader on the field like that again.

Originally posted by Vol 4 Life@May 3, 2005 11:47 PM
Don&#39;t know for sure, but I bet we forced more turnovers in &#39;98 which helped us in the W-L column - especially the Florida game.  Against Florida our stats weren&#39;t great but we forced fumbles and a timely INT by Deon Grant helped us get the W even though we were statistically outplayed.

The 1998 team was good but had all the intangibles also... like Al Wilson.  We need a leader on the field like that again.

Yeah, they probably either had more turnovers or forced more turnovers at key times. UF passed the ball for 409 yards against us in 98. They rushed for -13... We only passed for 64 yards and rushed for 171..

As for a leader like Wilson, think that Simon or Gaither can fill those shoes? I know that Allen is being pretty vocal with the defense so far...

Al was the MAN in that UF game, He put the team on his shoulders and he refused to let UT lose that game. I don&#39;t know if another player with his skills and leadership ability will ever play at UT again. AL was a really special player at UT. Just look at how the &#39;99 team played without him. Mostly the same players as &#39;98 but they had another year to develop, and most played worse in &#39;99 than &#39;98. Big AL Wilson was the difference.

Gunner

:gun:

Originally posted by Orangewhiteblood@May 3, 2005 1:10 PM
Now, I know that our secondary was not the best last year, but let&#39;s look at these stats shall we?

Let&#39;s add a few more stats to compare 98 to 2004:

1998 - INT&#39;s 16, Pass Break-ups 60, QB Sacs 31, QB Hurries 108, TFL 74, Fumbles 19, TD&#39;s Allowed 5 rushing, 12 Passing.

2004 - INT&#39;s 16, Pass Break-ups 45, QB Sacs 33, QB Hurries 74, TFL 92, Fumbles 12, TD&#39;s Allowed 15 rushing, 19 Passing.

Originally posted by TNVOLS1@May 4, 2005 6:40 AM
Let&#39;s add a few more stats to compare 98 to 2004

1998 - INT&#39;s 16, Pass Break-ups 60, QB Sacs 31, QB Hurries 108, TFL 74, Fumbles 19, TD&#39;s Allowed 5 rushing, 12 Passing.

2004 - INT&#39;s 16, Pass Break-ups 45, QB Sacs 33, QB Hurries 74, TFL 92, Fumbles 12, TD&#39;s Allowed 15 rushing, 19 Passing.

Interesting. Thanks. The biggest thing were the TD&#39;s allowed...

Originally posted by volmanjr@May 4, 2005 12:57 PM
how many of those rushing TDs came from cadilac and Brown?

2 if TNVOLS1 was just talking about the regular season, and 3 if he included the post season.

Still, holding 2 of the nations top backs to 3 TD&#39;s in 2 games is not at all. With a good secondary, we would have beat Auburn at least once :(

3 rushing tds out of 15 only coming from Au is not bad at all JC did more damage in the air than the running attack

Orangewhiteblood Are you forgetting Turnovers by UT. Game 1 6 Turnovers against a quality opponent will get your butt kicked everytime. Especially when they are on your side of the 50.

VN Store

Back