Secondary Performance -

VOLracerx

Demon Dog
For those a little closer to the program - do you feel that the performance of the secondary is a reflection of the quality of recievers we have or do you feel that it shows how much work we have to do?

I know it is only one scrimmage but this is an area that we were shady last year.

Originally posted by VOLracerx@Aug 16, 2005 9:06 AM
For those a little closer to the program - do you feel that the performance of the secondary is a reflection of the quality of recievers we have or do you feel that it shows how much work we have to do?

I know it is only one scrimmage but this is an area that we were shady last year.
[snapback]127120[/snapback]​

My thoughts exactly. ANYONE in the know-- please chime in and let us know.

Those were 2nd string receivers burning our seconday, no?

I wouldn't be too concerned at this point. We have to remember that we probably have the best stable of receivers in the nation and great QB's..which will only make our secondary the best. You become the best by playing the best.

We have some people playing different positions in the secondary than we did last year.

Give them some time to learn to play as a unit and things will be fine.

We have great spead at the safeties and the corners will be great with Allen leading the way.

A secondary is much like an offensive line. They have to learn to work together as a unit and that takes more than one scrimmage.

I'm not close to the team but here is what Allen said about the scrimmage......

"Give us a 'P' for potential,'' preseason All-America cornerback Jason Allen said. "And give us a 'C,' for corrections.''

Allen said when the secondary lined up correctly, it played well and executed. But there were too many occasions when players - including Allen - were caught out of position.

Allen said that's unacceptable.

It makes me feel better that at least they realize something is wrong - and I am sure Chavis lit a fire under an a$$ or 2. It just seems like everything else is in place for a good run - that's all.

I have stated many times since the Cotton Bowl that a NC run isn't likely until the secondary is up to speed. At this point, it is too early to tell how much improvement there will be from last season. But, it doesn't look good when FRESHMAN recivers have big plays against some of the starting DB's. Just think Florida, LSU, and Georgia all have quality recievers. Let's hope there will be improvement before the UAB game.

Gunner

what's up gunner? good to have you posting again, I agree that the secondary will be a huge part of a successful season, and I have the feeling down in my gut that they are gonna do very well this season, the Chief will have them ready.

Another thing to take into consideration guys is how is the rush set? I mean is the Big Pinapple and the rest of the Dline and the LB's on it or are they (coaches) leaving them out on an Island to test?

Originally posted by volmanjr@Aug 16, 2005 3:15 PM
what's up gunner? good to have you posting again, I agree that the secondary will be a huge part of a successful season, and I have the feeling down in my gut that they are gonna do very well this season, the Chief will have them ready.
[snapback]127217[/snapback]​

I am glad that you are so optimistic. I really hope that you are right in your assesment. We just watched such much poor play last season from the secondary that I am a bit worried that the problem won't be so fixed until mid season, and as we all know that will be to late for a team with a top heavy schedule. Just my two cents.

Gunner

:gun:

Some might not agree, but I think UAB will be a good test to see where the UT secondary stands. Some would say that Hackney's numbers have been inflated because of playing in the CUSA, but interestingly, Hackney completed about 50% of his passes in the FSU game a year ago for about 170 yards. To put that in perspective, Sexton of FSU completed a little over 50% for about 190 yards, so there's not a significant difference there. Hackney didnt have his usual performance, but he wasnt completely shut down and that was against one of the toughest defenses in the nation. Our one TD in that game, by the way, was caught by WR Reggie Lindsey (not Roddy White).

UAB had a bit of a double-edge sword situation from our scrimmage as well. Hackney wasnt up to his usual production, but that could be just a factor of how much the secondary has improved. Consequently, the fans are left to wonder whether Hackney had an off-day or whether the secondary is just much improved from a year ago.

Winning 9+ games with our schedule will demand a solid secondary.

I'm concerned.

FWIW - the same thing happened in the Bama scrimage (5 td passes) and they are supposed to have a great D with a solid secondary. Was it great offense, poor defense or something else. I'm hoping it was poor defense :cross:

I think the situation is a combination of things. Now I can't watch the practice vids online because my WMP is all screwy, and I can't stream the video. However, I'd assume that the defensive secondary was focused on quite a bit by Chavis after a dismal performance in the second half of last season. We should be much-improved after last season.

As for our WR's, thinking about last season and who we've got coming back in, I'm not just gonna jump on the bandwagon and say we have the best group of WR's in America. There are a few times I can think of off the top of my head more deserving of the title. What I will say, though is while we lack any single big threat receivers, we've got a steady group of guys that make the plays that need to be made. We just lack that big threat.

as for the last scrimmage, the DB's are fine. but the O will get close to 400 yds on Freshmen and that is all I say

Was the defense limited in any way during the scrimmage? I know the QBs had green jersies on, but did they play vanilla or did they get eaten alive as bad as it looks on paper??

I think what Vol67 is trying to say is that those numbers are against the freshman DB's - at least I think that is what he is saying.

VN Store

Back