Second Vol tests positive for COVID

From Basilio's blog this morning:

Two UT Basketball Players Are Positive:
spacer.gif
With Covid-19. I understand one of these athletes is in pretty rough shape. Please pray for this unnamed player if you think about it. I'm not dropping names here but one Vol basketball player is pretty ill with the virus.
Huh that's weird I was told it didnt matter if college kids got it because they weren't really getting sick.

It’s a small sample and not definitive, but the evidence seems to be pointing to at least some decrease in immunity over time. Certainly, it seems unreasonably optimistic to dismiss out of hand.

Antibody levels in recovered COVID-19 patients decline quickly: research

okay medical brains out there we will go class 101 on you here. this single, Chinese antibody study isn't the end-all for decision-making.

you WILL develop some immunity to the virus, similar to flu/cold, but that doesn't necessarily continue to protect you forever as the virus mutates.

stay informed and only allow relevant, refreshed DATA, and not feelings, to guide your decisions and actions.

we will survive this

Last edited:
okay medical brains out there we will go class 101 on you here. this single, Chinese antibody study isn't the end-all for decision-making.

you WILL develop some immunity to the virus, similar to flu/cold, but that doesn't necessarily continue to protect you forever as the virus mutates.

stay informed and only allow relevant, refreshed DATA, and not feelings, to guide your decisions and actions.

we will survive this

Didn’t say it was the end all be all, but it just so happens to be the only data available. The virus hasn’t been around long enough for very many months long studies on antibody levels. It’s also unclear at this point which antibodies contribute most to immunity. This would be totally separate from any risk of reinfection posed by mutations that you mentioned.

Given that this is the only relevant information available, ignoring it seems rather nonsensical, no?

That post didn’t prove your point
Where are the countless examples of people getting covid twice that you said was out there??
My point was that getting COVID19 does not guarantee you are immune. There are articles on the internet about second infections, usually in health care providers. Upon further review some of these examples are believed to be the result of faulty testing so some are not accurate examples, but if you want to be foolish and ignore the obvious inference from rapidly declining antibodies in COVID19 patients then I guess I can't stop you. Just make sure you stay 6 feet away from the people you care about.

Reactions: VolDaddy61
My point was that getting COVID19 does not guarantee you are immune. There are articles on the internet about second infections, usually in health care providers. Upon further review some of these examples are believed to be the result of faulty testing so some are not accurate examples, but if you want to be foolish and ignore the obvious inference from rapidly declining antibodies in COVID19 patients then I guess I can't stop you. Just make sure you stay 6 feet away from the people you care about.

I’m just trying to find out if your OP saying there are multiple reports of recovered people that have gotten covid again is true or not

this post seems to be saying that isn’t completely accurate

I’d like to know the truth

You are correct, some of the reports of multiple infections in people are being revised according to articles on the internet. A significant number of these are now seen as faulty testing results. Those that are curious may want to do a google word search about people getting coronavirus more than once and these articles will pop up in large numbers. Nevertheless, declining antibodies infers that there can be COVID19 reinfection.
I’m just trying to find out if your OP saying there are multiple reports of recovered people that have gotten covid again is true or not

Check out "this week in virology" #629 where a research doctor talks about just this. This Week in Virology | A podcast about viruses - the kind that make you sick

There are a number of people that shed viral RNA for a long time - like months. Some test negative and then go back to testing positive but this does not mean they are producing live virus necessarily. It is an open question, but it is doubtful this is reinfection.

That said, people do not develop lifetime immunity to coronaviruses and can eventually get reinfected. This time is not known for this particular virus but with others in the family it can months to a few years and so its reasonable to think this one would fall in that window somewhere.

Moved to it’s own thread so it isn’t buried isn’t he team news thread.

Hate to hear this. Hopefully the two cases are minor.

FWIW, Basilio mentioned 2 players (without naming) and referred to one as being in “pretty rough shape”.
Prayers for speedy recovery and containing the spread.

Reactions: sport3500
kinda like the flu and there's a vaccine for it..
The big difference between the flu and COVID-19 is that the flu mutates frequently and has multiple strains active at a time. COVID-19 hasn't shown the same degree of mutation -- not enough to contribute to error in testing and likely not enough to cause the same difficulties we have with flu vaccines. It is very useful for tracing the virus, though. It's how we know that a large number of the cases in the US descend from strains brought in by Europeans, rather than from Asia: auspice

The death rates are very very very low for young relatively healthy people, but there may be some lingering after effects for a severe case like the second player reportedly has. I know some folks can remain easily winded for a while after they are cleared of the disease. Let's hope the young man can 1) get healthy and 2) get back to his peak condition.

Huh that's weird I was told it didnt matter if college kids got it because they weren't really getting sick.
Younger people, including college age, generally don't get severely ill. However, there have been people in this category who have gotten very ill. It can happen.

From Basilio's blog this morning:

Two UT Basketball Players Are Positive:
spacer.gif
With Covid-19. I understand one of these athletes is in pretty rough shape. Please pray for this unnamed player if you think about it. I'm not dropping names here but one Vol basketball player is pretty ill with the virus.

Pember lost 15 pounds may be him

I need to wipe from using the toilet and the chip in my arm starts updating.

If it's like Windows 10 and reports every website you look at back to Microsoft then I'm sure the vaccine chip will report every wipe and who knows may even record the amount of TP used. You may get a letter from some enviro-nazi group saying you are under investigation for wasting trees. Time to start shopping for a bidet.

My understanding is that most experts say that if COVID acts like any other coronavirus, there should be immunity, at least for a while. But it is too early to know for absolute certain and it may be that immunity only lasts for a relatively short time-period. I also believe that there have been several instances where they thought someone got it twice, but upon further reflection, it may have just been a small remnant of the original infection that triggered the second positive. I could be wrong, but no one who "got it a second time" showed symptoms the second time. There is a lot we don't know, and "herd immunity" (absent a vaccine) does not appear to be a realistic solution.

VN Store

Back