Second Time Transfers

When are you going to learn that it ain't all about you? My post was directed at Lady Vol Guru (notice the quote that prefaced my comment). SMH

f07a92a6c5f9f8b164c63899fef967b5.gif

the fact you even know of this song tells me much about you

are we really gonna do this mt

First off, if you are dissing the pioneering B-52s, well that is your loss.

Second, "we" ain't doing nuthin.

Have fun fighting your imaginary battles pugnacious one.

Reactions: Amb3096
Players can have all sorts of legitimate reasons for wanting to transfer. The school is not right; their perspective has changed; they discover that their fit with a coach is less than they expected. Given that the LVs roster is now filled with transfers, this kind of vitriol toward transfer student-athletes seems I don't know, rude. The NCAA lets coaches switch jobs whenever opportunity knocks. Why should players be held captive to a "bad" situation. Other students can switch schools without being called self-entitled cancers. Why are student-athletes held to a different standard?

Coaches can switch jobs whenever they want but normally they have to pay to get out of their contract.
A school frequently has invested heavily on an athlete for a year or two (time, conditioning, money, coaching etc.) before they become a positive for the team. If they transfer, the school is out that investment. However, I agree that kids make mistakes or see a transfer coming in to play ahead of them etc. so I am ok with the 1 free transfer rule.

Reactions: chuckiepoo
Coaches can switch jobs whenever they want but normally they have to pay to get out of their contract..

You sure about that? I think most contracts negotiate some kind of exist clause/option. Otherwise, that would be a barrier to recruiting coaches and you don't heat much about that. Did Tennessee pay out $ for hiring Josh Heupel? They had to buy out the old coaches contract but not the other way around I believe.

You sure about that? I think most contracts negotiate some kind of exist clause/option. Otherwise, that would be a barrier to recruiting coaches and you don't heat much about that. Did Tennessee pay out $ for hiring Josh Heupel? They had to buy out the old coaches contract but not the other way around I believe.

Yes it's very standard for head coaches to have buyouts going both ways.

On Heupel's UCF contract...

"The Knights put a buyout clause in the initial contract, saying that UCF would be owed a buyout of $10 million if Heupel departs prior to the 2020 bowl game."

Yes, for example. If Coach Kellie wants out of her contract she would have to pay about $500,000 for each of the years left on her contract. If we won the NC, I am sure other schools would gladly pay that if she was willing to go to their school.
Kim Mulkey would have to pay a flat 2 million if she left anytime before her contract expired.
If a coach leaves after 1 or 2 years, they will likely owe their school more than they made.

Last edited:
Regulations tightening which is a very good thing. These kids that jump programs when things don’t go to suit them need to pay the consequences!
NCAA tightens restrictions on second-time transfers

I'm generally on board with the notion that it makes sense to tighten up restrictions on second and subsequent transfers.

That said, one of the tightenings is:
> Academic preferences (i.e., availability of major courses of study) will also no longer be considered.

I understand the desire to limit this as it's a major loophole that could be used to defend almost any decision to transfer, but if a player transferred to a school specifically to major in a particular field, and the school decided to drop that major, I'd like to treat that as an exception. I don't think it happens all at often, but if it happened to you, it would be a potential life-changing event.

Reactions: 37620VOL
I'm generally on board with the notion that it makes sense to tighten up restrictions on second and subsequent transfers.

That said, one of the tightenings is:
> Academic preferences (i.e., availability of major courses of study) will also no longer be considered.

I understand the desire to limit this as it's a major loophole that could be used to defend almost any decision to transfer, but if a player transferred to a school specifically to major in a particular field, and the school decided to drop that major, I'd like to treat that as an exception. I don't think it happens all at often, but if it happened to you, it would be a potential life-changing event.

Is this referring to players that are graduating and transferring for a particular graduate program? Or just undergrad transfers?

I'm assuming it's only referring to undergraduate transfers, mainly because it explicitly notes that graduate transfers are still permitted

Reactions: 37620VOL

VN Store

Back