SEC Tourney Day 1 Postgame Report

zjcvols

"On a Tennessee saturday night."
Staff member
1) I try not to overreact to heat of the moment plays. I've been physical in my day playing hoops and may have crossed the line. But what Omar Payne did today was despicable and dirty. I'm not sure I have seen in my close to 20 years of fandom a more blatant attempt to injure someone on a basketball court against the Vols. The fact he did it twice proves it was premediated. Absolutely and utterly shameful. The SEC should suspend him for at least the next five conference games next year. It should be ten honestly. Unbelievable.

2) Good performance today from the Vols. The team is finally getting away from the midrange shot and it's working. 9-25 from three is perfect for this team. I thought the spacing was better an I felt that the ball has moved the best it has since the Kansas game.

3) I thought Pons' energy and defense really set a tone early and gave the Vols a lot of energy overall. They actually looked like they were having fun today. It's been awhile. Nine blocks against a decent opponent is jaw dropping. And his on ball defense was menacing today. He absolutely blew me away.

4) I really thought Keon Johnson really looked more comfortable today. He was in the flow of the offense all game and just looked like he had found a groove. He has to stay out of foul trouble however.

5) Tennessee did something a little different on defense than they usually do. Barnes usually likes to stay home on defense and not overreact to drivers, but I thought Tennessee swarmed the ball handler more today than they have all year. Anytime a Gator drove the basketball they were everywhere and Florida really struggled getting easy looks because of it. They had 16 turnovers and 7 assists. I'm curious if Barnes tries that more.

6) Two points and one rebound doesn't speak to what I thought Uros provided today actually. His length gave Florida some problems near the rim and he did a great job on a switch against Tre Mann. And he created at least two baskets using his size to box out a defender so the Vols could get a layup. It was nice to see.

7) Barnes made the right decision to stay small after Fulkerson was maimed. Florida had a tough time getting in the lane because of Tennessee's athleticism and ability to switch everything. Florida runs heavy ball screens and Tennessee mixed their coverages well and showed a lot of hustle recovering on close outs.

8) Bernard King Player of the Game: Josiah Jordan-James and Yves Pons...I can't pick either one. Pons set the tone and his defense was amazing but James came in for Fulky in the second half and looked electric. 10 points/9rebounds/6 assists and was everywhere defensively. Pons also closed the door late with a couple big buckets.

9) If Fulkerson does not play tomorrow, Tennessee should go full small ball and try to run with Alabama. It's risky, but that would be my plan. Use your suffocating defense to create some fastbreak points and beat Bama at their game. Shoot the 3 ball and attack the paint.

10) Get well soon Fulky, I hated not seeing you in the second half.

8) Bernard King Player of the Game: Josiah Jordan-James and Yves Pons...I can't pick either one. Pons set the tone and his defense was amazing but James came in for Fulky in the second half and looked electric. 10 points/9rebounds/6 assists and was everywhere defensively. Pons also closed the door late with a couple big buckets.

Wow. It is amazing how much JJJ does, and I hardly notice him on the floor sometimes. Still, I don't know how you don't give the POG to Pons. He set the tone in so many ways.

I know you don't have to mention the other team so much, but I never felt the game was over for more than 10 seconds at a time. Tre Mann, well I just hope he goes pro after this year. He was not going to be denied.

Last thoughts: We are going to need to come to play, like we did today, if we are going to go far in either tourney. If we can play with this amount of heart though, we will be tough to beat. I think Alabama is under-ranked; and we have a huge task ahead of us tomorrow.

Looks like we finally know how to handle pressure defense and break the press. Seems they’ve worked on it and it is paying off. Get used to a lot more pressure during tournament time , especially with late leads.

Nice post ZJ. I was at work earlier today and unable to watch the game. Hopefully there is a replay I can catch. Surprised that Uros was able to step up and contribute In a game like this. Get well soon Fulk. GBO beat bama!

Reactions: zjcvols
That was easily the most blatant, malicious play I've ever seen in college basketball. I'm still unsure what triggered that fool to knock out Fulky.

Loved the intensity today. If not for Mann lighting up the Vols in the second half, it would have been a blowout

Reactions: 08Vol
That was easily the most blatant, malicious play I've ever seen in college basketball. I'm still unsure what triggered that fool to knock out Fulky.

Loved the intensity today. If not for Mann lighting up the Vols in the second half, it would have been a blowout
I'd remember the play for next season. Gator goes up then ends up kissing the hardwood.

Not too quiet today as he got T’ed up
And Scottie Lewis blatantly slaps the ball out Vescovi's hands trying to take it to inbound eight in front of Pat Adam's, and nothing is called. And that, too, was after the Fulky incident. Florida just has a bunch of goons on their team. Payne, Lewis, Appleby, to name a few.

And Scottie Lewis blatantly slaps the ball out Vescovi's hands trying to take it to inbound eight in front of Pat Adam's, and nothing is called. And that, too, was after the Fulky incident. Florida just has a bunch of goons on their team. Payne, Lewis, Appleby, to name a few.
Pat Adams is one of the most biased and worse officials. I despise when he calls UT games

Well...it was Pat Adams.

Reactions: cncchris33

VN Store

Back