SEC tourney attendance question

Hulavol

Hey guys - I am curious about something - last time I attended a LV game was in Greenville - mind you this was a good while back - We were really good, Pat was coaching, and all that- place was completely packed out with orange and LV blue - was surprised today to see far far less. There were LV fans all over downtown, so I assumed the arena would be packed with our fans …not the case.

So- my question, has our recent history culled the fair weather fans THAT much ? Is this similar in Knoxville these days ? Or did the SC fans buy up all the tickets ? Or….???

Reactions: vol94
Hey guys - I am curious about something - last time I attended a LV game was in Greenville - mind you this was a good while back - We were really good, Pat was coaching, and all that- place was completely packed out with orange and LV blue - was surprised today to see far far less. There were LV fans all over downtown, so I assumed the arena would be packed with our fans …not the case.

So- my question, has our recent history culled the fair weather fans THAT much ? Is this similar in Knoxville these days ? Or did the SC fans buy up all the tickets ? Or….???

Home attendence is way down from our glory years, but still much better than most other teams. Most home games had 2000-4000 fans in the stands. UConn and seniors day might have had 8000-10000 fans. But we might be slowly clawing our way back to significance in a much more competitive arena than than the glory days.

Home attendence is way down from our glory years, but still much better than most other teams. Most home games had 2000-4000 fans in the stands. UConn and seniors day might have had 8000-10000 fans. But we might be slowly clawing our way back to significance in a much more competitive arena than than the glory days.

Thanks - I really had no idea. Didn’t mean to bring up a sore topic. Thanks for the explanation!
Best,
Hula

Fair question. I remember back in the day when Pat drew an average of only 4000 per home game. Women’s sports just didn’t sell tickets or draw crowds. FM radio stations wouldn’t broadcast LV games. AM stations only. She built this program. Unfortunately it dropped back off after she stepped down. I truly believe that attendance will pick up with winning. Afraid that we may require a new face as coach, though.
KJH was a fantastic player and a VFL but I don’t believe she is the one to bring us back to where we need to be.

Go VOLS

Reactions: mcannon1

I think attendance is usually higher when the tournament is in Nashville as TN fans are loyal, contrary to belief.

I think attendance is usually higher when the tournament is in Nashville as TN fans are loyal, contrary to belief.

Yeah I get that - but I was talking about Greenville specifically- I was expecting a crowd similar to the last time I saw them play here and was very surprised - especially with a short drive and on a Saturday.

Thanks for the replies guys.
Appreciate it-
Hula

Not true. I go to the games. Typical Thursday night crowd is about 7000ish, Sunday afternoon 8-9K, specials 10-12K. Recently had several 9K crowds in a row. Attendance dropped from around 12K during the Holly doldrums but has held pretty steady since.

Yeah I get that - but I was talking about Greenville specifically- I was expecting a crowd similar to the last time I saw them play here and was very surprised - especially with a short drive and on a Saturday.

Appreciate it-
Hula

To be honest even the most devoted fans thought there was a pretty good chance of being 1 and done in this tourny.

Appreciate it-
Hula

Not sure it Friday’s storms had anything to do w/ it. Lady Vols attendance had probably decreased but USCjr’ fans should have gobbled up the tickets.

A lot of our fans have also passed. We need to win a championship to revive the fan base. We are an old program to still have fans at all.

Our home attendance this year was 8369 per game on average for 18 home games and our average away games had 5668 as an average of fans in attendance.

Our home attendance this year was 8369 per game on average for 18 home games and our average away games had 5668 as an average of fans in attendance.

Thank you because that poster was just pulling numbers out their butt lol... we attracted more fans on the road than they gave us credit for being at home and playing 😂

That might be the "official" number that probably includes all staff, media, concession workers, security, etc., But if you look at the number of seats filled it is much less. I attended all but 4 home games. The lower level holds about 12,000 seats. The upper level was empty and the lower level was usually less than one third full with some corner sections having only tens of spectators rather than hundreds.

Correction, not UConn but South Carolina was the highest attended game, officially 10,297 but maybe 8,000 fans in seats. In any case proud of the Lady Vols comeback tonight and happy for Kellie to get a signature win.

South Carolina fans bought a good portion of the tickets. I don’t know if you were in the arena during their games, but the place was almost sold out for the South Carolina game at noon yesterday, and it was just as packed for their game today. Tennessee fans still had a great showing, as you could see in the stands as our game progressed.

That might be the "official" number that probably includes all staff, media, concession workers, security, etc., But if you look at the number of seats filled it is much less. I attended all but 4 home games. The lower level holds about 12,000 seats. The upper level was empty and the lower level was usually less than one third full with some corner sections having only tens of spectators rather than hundreds.

I could not possibly disagree with your assessment more. There are photo galleries available of every game, and not one of them will show a lower bowl that was less than 1/3 full.

I can tell you that the lowest tickets scanned number of the year was right at 6500, on a day where snow had a big impact on the crowd. All of the other games had a scanned of more than 7000. Again, that’s the number of actual tickets that were scanned at the gates, not including staff.

I could not possibly disagree with your assessment more. There are photo galleries available of every game, and not one of them will show a lower bowl that was less than 1/3 full.

I can tell you that the lowest tickets scanned number of the year was right at 6500, on a day where snow had a big impact on the crowd. All of the other games had a scanned of more than 7000. Again, that’s the number of actual tickets that were scanned at the gates, not including staff.
Where can we see the photo gallery?

Not sure what home game attendance was 2000...

Reactions: chuckiepoo
I looked at a couple of the galleries from past games. Here is a panoramic from the South Carolina game on Feb. 24, 2023. It is a little dark but if you expand the picture you can get a pretty good idea of empty seats versus fans in seats. Looks like the two mid-court sections on both side are pretty full, maybe 70-80%. As you come toward the basket ends the sections are maybe 30-40% full and the corners and ends maybe 10-15%. The student section is at the bottom of the screen. Official attendance was reported as 10,297. My estimate of fans in seats is about 8,000 for this game if the lower level contains about 12,000 seatsScreenshot (24).png. You can decide for yourself.

VN Store

Back