SEC Tournament Game Thread: (3) Lady Vols Vs. (11) Ole Miss

Watching Coach K yesterday was brutal for me...Not working obviously biased refs, not trying to interrupt a 13-4 run to start Q2 and an 8-3 run to end it,,,and an 8-2 run to end Q3 was not good coaching, for me, for Kellie, for anyone. When you continually let the team endure these runs it makes them wonder if they are ever going to get your help. In a game, a coach has many weapons and the most visible one is a time out (and tv timeouts DO NOT COUNT as a called timeout). Time outs are part of coaching and as a coach we have to use what few direct-influences we can.

I looked back on my posts for this game (during the game) there were nine,, 5 were about not using timeouts,, 2 about working the refs, 1 about Suarez NOT being the answer, 1 growl and the first one asking when coach was going to show up...None were pot shots. The coach has to coach!

You say Kellie didn't work the refs but you are just wrong. She did work the refs. You just don't witness it as much with the masks on, but it's there.

Last edited:
You say Kellie didn't work the refs but you are just wrong. She did work the refs. You just don't witness it as much with the masks on, but it's there.

I watched what the two telecasts let me see (SEC, roku) and I saw "pleading" body language,,,not the in your face "working" I had seen prior....When they made that OOB call and it was obvious even to that biased announcer that it was TN ball, yet they stood with their call, I would have earned my technical and put the fear of Coach Jumper into those stripes...Maybe she did more than I could see, I hope so,,,,truly, @Orange Maniac , I hope so...because if she did the girls will have that faith in her, if she didn't they will come into today's game with doubt

You say Kellie didn't work the refs but you are just wrong. She did work the refs. You just don't witness it as much with the masks on, but it's there. I watched what the two telecasts let me see (SEC, roku) and I saw "pleading" body language,,,not the in your face "working" I had seen prior....When they made that OOB call and it was obvious even to that biased announcer that it was TN ball, yet they stood with their call, I would have earned my technical and put the fear of Coach Jumper into those stripes...Maybe she did more than I could see, I hope so,,,,truly, @Orange Maniac , I hope so...because if she did the girls will have that faith in her, if she didn't they will come into today's game with doubt
a technical would have served no useful purpose at that point in the game, just sayin'

Hey, Coach,

Allow me to respectfully disagree. I think what everyone here should realize is that you shouldn’t make judgements based on what’s portrayed on TV.

I sat three rows behind the coaches last night (weird configuration, BTW. NONE of the players were sitting near the coaches like this year. All players that weren’t in the game had to sit in the section of chairs behind the end line. It greatly inhibited the ability for the coaches to communicate with the players not in the game. Tina Napier seemed to be more concerned about our players leaving their seats than the constant holding and pushing by Ole Miss players on Re and Rae.

Kellie, and especially Jon, were working the referees the entire game, which they pretty much ignored. Heck, I was working them, too. 😉

You’re also not seeing them talking to the players and coaching them during the breaks in action. As it turned out, we needed EVERY timeout in the second half.

So, everyone here needs to remember that your perception, may be different from reality if you’re watching what some director at ESPN decides you get to see (I’ll bet you saw a lot of Coach YoYoYo). Give this coaching staff the benefit of the doubt. It’s so much better than what I used to see with the previous staff - they’re constantly engaged with the players, and, each other...

Go Lady Vols! Beat the Lady Cocks again!

Petty of you, someone who claims to be a coach, to take pot shots at Kellie. Kellie did a great job as did the players to overcome adversity and pull out the win. Everyone can see you have ill feelings towards Kellie. No one wants you as part of the team because you act like a 12 year old in a 60 year old body. The team needs coaches who are mature and experienced and she has those assistants already. I doubt any poster here would vote you onto the team. Start a poll if your ego can stand the result but regardless, LEAVE KELLIE ALONE. No one needs or wants your help or input.

Look folks I backed Kellie when many of you said hiring her was a mistake and not going for a big name was foolish. I stood behind her when very few on this board did so. That has not changed and it will not change, Coach K has my full support and will have it moving forward. But that does not change who I am or how I post. I post as a coach, not a fan. For nearly as many years as Kellie has been alive, I have walked a sideline. I saw her play in person in 96-97-98 and sat with her Coach, CPS for over half a game and made a commitment to coach girls from that conversation with Pat.

Watching Coach K yesterday was brutal for me...Not working obviously biased refs, not trying to interrupt a 13-4 run to start Q2 and an 8-3 run to end it,,,and an 8-2 run to end Q3 was not good coaching, for me, for Kellie, for anyone. When you continually let the team endure these runs it makes them wonder if they are ever going to get your help. In a game, a coach has many weapons and the most visible one is a time out (and tv timeouts DO NOT COUNT as a called timeout). Time outs are part of coaching and as a coach we have to use what few direct-influences we can.

I looked back on my posts for this game (during the game) there were nine,, 5 were about not using timeouts,, 2 about working the refs, 1 about Suarez NOT being the answer, 1 growl and the first one asking when coach was going to show up...None were pot shots. The coach has to coach!

Every player has a bad game and every coach gets in a whirlwind that they can't seem to shake in a game.
Yes, it happens to all coaches, ME TOO.

I applaud the resiliency of the players for this game. They stood strong until coach showed up in Q4 and once she got there, they turned it around and fought against a team that was clearly on a mission.

I back Coach K and will continue to do so as she was my choice before she was even approached for the job and only being talked about as a possibility (go back and read my posts before she was hired and you will see this). But understand, Rick, unlike most here who post by emotions, I post as a coach and will continue to do so.[/QUOTE]

Very competitive game. Was it ugly, yes but at tourney time the win is the important thing and hopefully the bad stuff doesn't carry over to the next game. Celebrate that we have a next game. Davis (and Horston) deserve all the credit IMO.
Let's worry about next season when this season is over.

The bigger problem focusing on next season is no one know what the final roster will even look like. Who will transfer in and out because everyone will be eligible immediately and going to be some big names in the portal. Saying going to be a bad year without Davis is ridiculous at this point because we might have one or two superstar quality players on the way plus player development of players already on the roster.

I agree with you 100% no one knows how this team will look. But i will say this the SEC is now heavy from top to bottom and there is no question OLD Miss now part of conversation. We must hit the transfer portal after the season and get a starting pg i like Chelsie Hall. Don`t get me wrong Walker has played ok at point but would be better as a backup. I`m not gonna compare her to Bobbitt because that`s not fair. But what i found out in watching film on Bobbitt because of her height. When teams try to trap or pressure her she would keep her dribble and back up to create space before making that pass. I know Walker don`t have the quickness or handle like Bobbitt but i think she can do the same.

Reactions: T.J.
I agree with you 100% no one knows how this team will look. But i will say this the SEC is now heavy from top to bottom and there is no question OLD Miss now part of conversation. We must hit the transfer portal after the season and get a starting pg i like Chelsie Hall. Don`t get me wrong Walker has played ok at point but would be better as a backup. I`m not gonna compare her to Bobbitt because that`s not fair. But what i found out in watching film on Bobbitt because of her height. When teams try to trap or pressure her she would keep her dribble and back up to create space before making that pass. I know Walker don`t have the quickness or handle like Bobbitt but i think she can do the same.

I think the issue is we keep looking forward to next season but this team is playing now! How long have we waited to see a team play with heart and grit? How long has it been since wondering not what our seed was but if we will even get a tourney birth.

I am just enjoying the ride and when it comes to an end for the year i will look back and reflect first and then worry.

I think the issue is we keep looking forward to next season but this team is playing now! How long have we waited to see a team play with heart and grit? How long has it been since wondering not what our seed was but if we will even get a tourney birth.

I am just enjoying the ride and when it comes to an end for the year i will look back and reflect first and then worry.

We all are enjoying the ride and we can agree to disagree no matter what time of the year it is that`s part of the game,

I re-watched the game this morning, to get a less emotional view of the game, as I saw it...

Ole Miss offense was to attack the lane and either get a foul, or make the shot....They determined early that the refs were going to be "generous" to them with this approach....

Key picked up a foul extremely early in the game for just a little body contact...The player jumped into her, as much as her contact....This appeared to send Key into negative land for offense and defense...She did miss some "extremely close in shots."

Key got knocked around on offense (a lot) and the refs made no call....If Key had done the same type of bumping, it would be a foul...She is the Rodney Dangerfield of the team...

Once Burrell slowed down, she was much, much, better....She was often being harassed by the defense, which felt empowered knowing they could get away with a lot of contact..

Davis was all world again.....Truly a champion!

Coach Yo high fived Davis after her buzzer beater....Classy.....
Coach Yo works the refs extremely well....It almost worked for the win.

Coach Kellie is simply outstanding...She has her style, and with her style, we are in the semi's against the Cocks. Like a queen without a crown.

I enjoy reading the game thread after the game....The emotional swings are entertaining to read...Other than the drive by trolls, it's first rate basketball talk...

Y
I watched what the two telecasts let me see (SEC, roku) and I saw "pleading" body language,,,not the in your face "working" I had seen prior....When they made that OOB call and it was obvious even to that biased announcer that it was TN ball, yet they stood with their call, I would have earned my technical and put the fear of Coach Jumper into those stripes...Maybe she did more than I could see, I hope so,,,,truly, @Orange Maniac , I hope so...because if she did the girls will have that faith in her, if she didn't they will come into today's game with doubt

I saw her follow the ref all the way to the half-court line... in the ref's ear all the way. I thought she was going to get T'd up.

I'm not sure if this was the exact play you were thinking of, but I think we got some calls in the 4th during our run that were a product of KJH skillfully working the officials.

Hey, Coach,

Allow me to respectfully disagree. I think what everyone here should realize is that you shouldn’t make judgements based on what’s portrayed on TV.

I sat three rows behind the coaches last night (weird configuration, BTW. NONE of the players were sitting near the coaches like this year. All players that weren’t in the game had to sit in the section of chairs behind the end line. It greatly inhibited the ability for the coaches to communicate with the players not in the game. Tina Napier seemed to be more concerned about our players leaving their seats than the constant holding and pushing by Ole Miss players on Re and Rae.

Kellie, and especially Jon, were working the referees the entire game, which they pretty much ignored. Heck, I was working them, too. 😉

You’re also not seeing them talking to the players and coaching them during the breaks in action. As it turned out, we needed EVERY timeout in the second half.

So, everyone here needs to remember that your perception, may be different from reality if you’re watching what some director at ESPN decides you get to see (I’ll bet you saw a lot of Coach YoYoYo). Give this coaching staff the benefit of the doubt. It’s so much better than what I used to see with the previous staff - they’re constantly engaged with the players, and, each other...

Go Lady Vols! Beat the Lady Cocks again!]

Thanks EarlVolFan for that report from the game. I am glad you were able to get to the tournament and more glad that you did not have to endure the SECN coverage. Once Ole Miss made their run in the 2nd quarter, the commentators (and production crew) become obsessed with the underdog story and what an intense motivator Coach Yo was being, with lots of split screens focusing on her while game went on. There was no way to accurately gauge what Kellie was or was not doing from the TV coverage.

The overall sense of negativity related to the LVs making it to the semi of the conference tournament is even for this board (which often dwells on the negative), a little surprising. Ole Miss is a team playing much better than their record and their swarming defense was impressive, particularly through 3 quarters. On the whole, the LVs defended pretty well. It was a hard fought game and the LVs were clutch when they needed to be, including KK whose late 3 pt play provides some needed separation.

The team has also dodged two intercontinental ballistic missiles with ankle injuries to Rae and Rennia that looked worrisome at first so maybe some good fortune is also on our side, like 64 ft. buzzer beaters.

By the way Jordan H. was robbed. Her shot did not make ESPN's top ten plays.

Last edited:
Thanks EarlVolFan for that report from the game. I am glad you were able to get to the tournament and more glad that you did not have to endure the SECN coverage. Once Ole Miss made their run in the 2nd quarter, the commentators (and production crew) become obsessed with the underdog story and what an intense motivator Coach Yo was being, with lots of split screens focusing on her while game went on. There was no way to accurately gauge what Kellie was or was not doing from the TV coverage.

The overall sense of negativity related to the LVs making it to the semi of the conference tournament is even for this board (which often dwells on the negative), a little surprising. Ole Miss is a team playing much better than their record and their swarming defense was impressive, particularly through 3 quarters. On the whole, the LVs defended pretty well. It was a hard fought game and the LVs were clutch when they needed to be, including KK whose late 3 pt play provides some needed separation.

The team has dodged to intercontinental ballistic missiles with ankle injuries to Rae and Rennia that looked worrisome at first so maybe some good is also on our side, like 64 ft. buzzer beaters.

Of course it didn't, she doesn't play for the coach who coaches that team up north. Should've definitely been Top 10 (both her and Rennia's imo)

The team has dodged to intercontinental ballistic missiles with ankle injuries to Rae and Rennia that looked worrisome at first so maybe some good is also on our side, like 64 ft. buzzer beaters.

Great post! I had a feeling the game would be a tough out, and that was before everything started going wrong with foul trouble (due to terrible officiating), injuries, Rae being off, etc.. Everything that could’ve gone in their favor did, and those things built on the momentum that Ole Miss already had before the tip. Had Tamari not been in foul trouble and Rennia gotten injured, it’s a completely different game, IMO.

Hey, Coach,

Go Lady Vols! Beat the Lady Cocks again!

Look folks I backed Kellie when many of you said hiring her was a mistake and not going for a big name was foolish. I stood behind her when very few on this board did so. That has not changed and it will not change, Coach K has my full support and will have it moving forward. But that does not change who I am or how I post. I post as a coach, not a fan. For nearly as many years as Kellie has been alive, I have walked a sideline. I saw her play in person in 96-97-98 and sat with her Coach, CPS for over half a game and made a commitment to coach girls from that conversation with Pat.

Every player has a bad game and every coach gets in a whirlwind that they can't seem to shake in a game.
Yes, it happens to all coaches, ME TOO.

I applaud the resiliency of the players for this game. They stood strong until coach showed up in Q4 and once she got there, they turned it around and fought against a team that was clearly on a mission.

I back Coach K and will continue to do so as she was my choice before she was even approached for the job and only being talked about as a possibility (go back and read my posts before she was hired and you will see this). But understand, Rick, unlike most here who post by emotions, I post as a coach and will continue to do so.
Thanks for the Earl. I am out and about and will not post with phone takes as it always bites me in the behind. I'll be home this afternoon and will be on the computer where I can post without fear of it looking like garbled text. Again I thank you for your perspective and appreciate your post.

I like a good brawling game. Both teams tested each the other talent. Ole Miss got no reason to hang their head. The Ole Miss coach giving the high 5 to a Tenn player after a great shot, very classy. Well done Lady Vols.

i just went back and rewatched the game it was a crazy tight one. I swear i wish the LVs would just shorten their passes by coming to the ball or taking a retreat dribble or two to allow a secondary action to occur if the first is being inhibited.

With that said when was the last time we can say our LVs just don’t give up or hang their heads?

Cierra Burdick and crew?

VN Store

Back