SEC Title game

I believe I've read the TSO is only set in stone until 2025. With TN playing BAMA every year-it has been killing us, we've lost the last 14-15 games, in a row! If we can get that monkey off our backs, and have a rotational SEC opponent, we may be in a much better place to at least win our Div.

Reactions: Proud Army Wife
I believe I've read the TSO is only set in stone until 2025. With TN playing BAMA every year-it has been killing us, we've lost the last 14-15 games, in a row! If we can get that monkey off our backs, and have a rotational SEC opponent, we may be in a much better place to at least win our Div.

I am traditionalist and love playing Alabama every year. If they are good and win the West, you have to beat them in the SEC Championship game anyway. You never hear Auburn complaining about playing Alabama yearly. Why do some Vols fans complain.

Tennessee has beaten Alabama more times than any NCAA football in history. There is nothing more fun than beating Alabama.

Last edited:
I am traditionalist and love playing Alabama every year. If they are good and win the West, you have to beat them in the SEC Championship game anyway. You never hear Auburn complaining about playing Alabama yearly. Why do some Vols fans complain.

Tennessee has beaten more times than any NCAA football in history. There is nothing more fun than beating Alabama.
Auburn doesn’t complain because every team in the west plays Alabama. 2/7 teams in the east play Alabama and we are 1 of them every year.

We have some fans that don't respect the tradition of our biggest rivalry. The day we wuss out and stop playing Alabama every year is when I quit watching Tennessee football. The streak will go the other way.

Tennessee has beaten more times than any NCAA football in history. There is nothing more fun than beating Alabama.
I guess it is recent history that is what's on most folks minds-lets say 20 years, or in the case of 98%+ of the Student Body, 22 years (as long as they've been alive). Going back to the leather helmet days is cool, but it doesn't help us now. I am with you on TSO-it is one of the best traditions in all of NCAA Football. But BAMA has been kicking our butts for a long time, maybe if we didn't have to play them, we could play for the SEC Championship more often (and hopefully win it at least half the time).

I take it back, you aren't as smart as I gave you credit for, but God Bless..
I40flyer when he clicks on his replies
giphy.gif

I guess it is recent history that is what's on most folks minds-lets say 20 years, or in the case of 98%+ of the Student Body, 22 years (as long as they've been alive). Going back to the leather helmet days is cool, but it doesn't help us now. I am with you on TSO-it is one of the best traditions in all of NCAA Football. But BAMA has been kicking our butts for a long time, maybe if we didn't have to play them, we could play for the SEC Championship more often (and hopefully win it at least half the time).

If you have to go through Alabama to win the championship you still have to play them. If you are going to be the man, you have to beat the man.

Auburn doesn’t complain because every team in the west plays Alabama. 2/7 teams in the east play Alabama and we are 1 of them every year.

As it should be. Alabama is our permanent SEC West opponent. And if you think the game doesn't mean anything to Alabama as well; look no further than the cigars that are smoked the winner of the game.

You can't beat your chest and say, we're #1 if you're afraid to play the bully on the block. I hope Tennessee plays Alabama every year forever.

How could you hold your head up as a fan if you're afraid to play a team just because they are good. I don't understand the mentality at all.

Last edited:
Since divisional play in odd years against Florida, Georgia, & Alabama

1993: 1-1-1
1995: 2-1
1997: 2-1
1999: 2-1
2001: 2-1
2003: 2-1
2005: 0-3
2007: 1-2
2009: 1-2
2011: 0-3
2013: 0-3
2015: 1-2
2017: 0-3
2019: 0-3

14-27-1

Since divisional play in even years against Florida, Georgia, & Alabama

1992: 2-1
1994: 1-2
1996: 2-1
1998: 3-0
2000: 1-2
2002: 1-2
2004: 3-0
2006: 2-1
2008: 0-3
2010: 0-3
2012: 0-3
2014: 0-3
2016: 2-1
2018: 0-3

17-25

Our decade of dysfunction really stands out in these numbers. Take away how terrible we have been the last 10-12 years and we are basically even away and ahead at home. Painful that so much of our history and legacy had been destroyed in the last decade plus a few years. How disappointed Neyland would be.

The real question is how much longer does Saban stick it out? For the last 10 years, that’s been a guaranteed SEC loss on our schedule. Their reign is over and no one is going to want to take that job and live in that shadow. Being too good for too long may have actually hurt them.

That’s the difference in us finishing 2nd vs finishing 3rd in the East most years. With a little bit of luck, that 2nd can turn into a 1st.

Having said all that, I believe 2022 is when we’re one of the big dogs again. Assuming our staff stays intact.

Rebuilds/likely rebuilds between now and 2022:
Alabama
Auburn
SC
Ole Miss
Mizz
KY
Arkansas
A&M

Bama being permanently on our schedule may actually benefit us in the post-Saban era.

Unfortunately I don’t think there will be too much of a downturn after Saban leaves. He had built up the program so much that any blehard can step in and have success for s few more years. Although after 2007 we fell completely off the map without a gradual decline although we didn’t win 5 nattys either.

UGA has several steps on us and FLA is a step ahead. East is going to get very tough between the three of us. Home field advantage could very well be worth something as @99gator mentioned.

If you go into any game thinking the other team is better, you’ve already lost.

You are correct, WE LOST. The championship was won was by LSU!! If you read my post, no where did I reference, going to and posting a big loss, but rather WINNING the SEC Championship. Please re-read my post, I never stated playing for and posting a loss. POST #5 of this very string!!!!
Big loss is by a touchdown now?

You are hilarious! Thanks, I needed a good joke! I know a smart guy, such as you, read post #5, and as an educated man, realized I had broadened the discussion! But thanks for the laugh!
OP asked when will we make it back then you said it's been 22 years. Then you talked about we we last won one. So basically smart guy your first sentence is wrong it hasn't been 22 years at all. That's why everyone is correcting you rere

Reactions: RollerVol
Until we have consistency on the offense and the ability to put up more than 20 points on SEC teams on average, we wont sniff the SEC tourney. UT also squeaked by on 3 of their SEC wins against teams that they should be dominating like a red headed stepchild.

Tennessee has beaten Alabama more times than any NCAA football in history. There is nothing more fun than beating Alabama.
Don't deny that, but it may be time for some other EAST teams to have that opportunity to have the same fun we have had over the last 15 years.

Considering UF and UGA NEVER play each other in a true away game... seems fair.

hopefully, I'll be here to see us get back to the SEC Champeenship again...it's a great feeling, I remember it just like it was a long time ago...we'll get there again...hang tough, be patient, yadda, yadda...:D...and, as always...

GO BIG ORANGE!

Don't deny that, but it may be time for some other EAST teams to have that opportunity to have the same fun we have had over the last 15 years.

How could you hold your head up as a fan if you're afraid to play a team just because they are good. I don't understand the mentality at all.

If we can just get to November with only 1, maybe 2 losses, we have a great shot. Pruitt and his guys are going to make a run at some point. I just hope when we get there, we stay there for a while.
Is the Georgia game moving to November permanently or just next year? Seems that it was a permanent move.

21 or 22. Need a couple more recruiting classes. Experience, and depth. I'm not sure JG can get us there and don't want to rely on a freshman Bailey. Our defense will prob be tops around that time, just need more depth on lines of scrimmage and a good QB. If those happen, I think we can compete with anyone.

VN Store

Back