SEC Starting Lineup

Cb153181

who should be in the starting line up going forward?

It’s just laughable that our most athletic people come off the bench. We are going in to SEC play and it’s going to be physical, and we are going to need speed out there. We cannot have 3 slow footed people in the game at the same time.

It’s just laughable that our most athletic people come off the bench. We are going in to SEC play and it’s going to be physical, and we are going to need speed out there. We cannot have 3 slow footed people in the game at the same time.
Unfortunately, the tradeout would be for 3 who could not make a point with a pencil. Watched our "offense" of super athletic players the last few years?

Starters now and until future notice: Powell, Horston, Jackson, Puckett or Hollingshed, Hollingshed if not starting at 4, or Striplin.

I love Franklin, but she seems to do best in shorter, intense bursts. Would have loved to have had her healthy. First off bench Darby and whoever didn't start btw Puckett and Hollingshead, then Walker for Powell. Franklin is a floater, plays whenever situationally needed.

Last edited:
Unfortunately, the tradeout would be for 3 who could not make a point with a pencil. Watched our "offense" of super athletic players the last few years?

Starters now and until future notice: Powell, Horston, Jackson, Puckett or Hollingshed, Hollingshed if not starting at 4, or Striplin.

I love Franklin, but she seems to do best in shorter, intense bursts. Would have loved to have had her healthy. First off bench Darby and whoever didn't start btw Puckett and Hollingshead, then Walker for Powell. Franklin is a floater, plays whenever situationally needed.

I think that should be the lineup also Puckett can shoot better than Tess and rebounds a lot better.

Reactions: chuckiepoo
Powell, Darby, Horston, Jackson and Franklin (hopefully replaced by Hollingshead towards the middle of SEC play). Sara, Marta and Karo making up the rest of the primary rotation with those 6. Walker as an "In case of Emergency" plan. At this point, they're better off with Horston playing back up PG thank going with Walker.

Reactions: LadyVol1908
Even though I like Puckett better, I don't think saying she is a better shooter than Tess is accurate.
Tess works in the lineup at the off-guard position. They just have to remember she's on the court and find her when she's open. Neither her nor Sara can create for themselves, but I think Tess is better as a catch and shoot option.

Even though she is known as a shooter, I think Tess stays on the floor because of her defense. She does not get beat very often which is quite an improvement over last two years.
Ehhh I agree and disagree. She definitely gets beat by quicker defenders off the dribble, but excels at off ballI defense. She rarely gets beat by the smart off ball cutters and denies really well, but gets in trouble when she has to become a chaser and fight around or through screens….like she was against Stanford. That’s partially the reason Jump ended up with a quiet 19. Overall definitely an improvement from the last 2 years.

I think another year in strength and conditioning and Tess can be that same player if we ran some plays like that and she’s in constant motion. We’re going to need more of an offensive punch from her next year for sure.

I know who I would play. Most everybody here knows who they would play. We have to accept who Coach Harper decides to play and hope they can find a way to win. They need about the next 8 wins in a row just to get back a little comfort in the season. I hope Coach Harper has the answer to get us there.

I'm about to conclude that we need to put Jordy back at point guard. For one thing, she's a better defender than any of our other pgs. For another, she can finish drives where the others can't get to the rim and get stuffed, and she can also shoot mid-ranges and 3s, which the others can't do. About the only thing the other pgs can do on offense is bring the ball up the court. But once they get it there, they don't do much else. I'd like to see a more dynamic lineup of Jordy, Darby, Rikea, Puckett and Hollingshead. Powell and Walker can help at the point for 10 min pg, Pissott gets some time at the 2 or 3, as does Suarez, Franklin and Suarez at the 4, and Franklin and Striplin at the five.

Very,very good analysis.

Ehhh I agree and disagree. She definitely gets beat by quicker defenders off the dribble, but excels at off ballI defense. She rarely gets beat by the smart off ball cutters and denies really well, but gets in trouble when she has to become a chaser and fight around or through screens….like she was against Stanford. That’s partially the reason Jump ended up with a quiet 19. Overall definitely an improvement from the last 2 years.

I think another year in strength and conditioning and Tess can be that same player if we ran some plays like that and she’s in constant motion. We’re going to need more of an offensive punch from her next year for sure.

i agree she can’t keep up with quick guards. she’s going to struggle in SEC play bc sec teams love to have their guards dribble drive and without Tamari back there, they are going to get easy buckets.

Reactions: LadyVol1908

Tess is only effective as a corner ,catch and shoot 3 ball and when she can get set with feet in right position she is very good but she is not athletic or fast enough to create her own shot or drive to the basket.On defense she has the same liability because she is not fast or athletic enough to guard SEC or good /athletic players.So to me she should see spot duty against zone defenses or when opposition is using a sagging man and doubling the post.

I think it's way, way too early to give up on Powell. She got overinflated around here this summer from what she was, a good and promising young PG, to what we wish she was - a great one. If you looked at her stats, they were not that much better than Walker's. She needs alot of work on defense, and she's very small. All that said, I think JP has alot of potential and she's who we have for the next two yrs. And she's by far the best choice among the current roster. Let's develop the heck out of her.

No, no a million times no to Horston back at point!!!

Last edited:
Even though I like Puckett better, I don't think saying she is a better shooter than Tess is accurate.
True. Probably should have said Sara is a better scorer than Tess. Has more arrows in her quiver.
Tess is only effective as a corner ,catch and shoot 3 ball and when she can get set with feet in right position she is very good but she is not athletic or fast enough to create her own shot or drive to the basket.On defense she has the same liability because she is not fast or athletic enough to guard SEC or good /athletic players.So to me she should see spot duty against zone defenses or when opposition is using a sagging man and doubling the post.
I think Tess has a little more to offer. Yes she, and Sara, will get beat one on one, as do even our faster players routinely. But Tess plays good position, she's smart and poised, boxes out really well, and see the floor well. IMO she's improved alot, and is often a very good spot shooter. But I still like Puckett much more and am only expanding Tess' sub role lol.

As I have posted several times in the last several weeks my starting 5 would be :
Center -Hollinshead
PF ------Puckett
SF------Jackson
SG-----Horston
PG----Powell

Those imo are the most talented and I would play them long and often so they could develop some chemistry .

I think that is a great opening lineup. Every time those five have started, we get off to a good start. Everybody clears out, and Horston takes over for a couple of baskets. Then the defense shifts to her, and one of the outside shooters hits some bombs.

True. Probably should have said Sara is a better scorer than Tess. Has more arrows in her quiver.

I think Tess has a little more to offer. Yes she, and Sara, will get beat one on one, as do even our faster players routinely. But Tess plays good position, she's smart and poised, boxes out really well, and see the floor well. IMO she's improved alot, and is often a very good spot shooter. But I still like Puckett much more and am only expanding Tess' sub role lol.

Ya'll aren't giving Karo enough credit. She does the dirty work.

Karo can dart into the middle, turn her back to basket, and block out two of the other team. Creates a lane to the basket.

We don't have the most athletic team up and down the court outside of RJ and JH

We don't have the most athletic team up and down the court outside of RJ and JH
Hollingshead and Powell are plenty athletic and speedy. Puckett, Walker, Darby, Suarez, Striplin, Franklin...not many teams that they are beating up and down the court. Wynn and Miles are also speedy players, but both of them are at the end of the bench for a reason, and their athleticism isn't reason enough to change that.

I think Karo can be a game changer. She is mobile and can knock down some threes! She is the key...I believe. Tess just isn't doing it for me this year. She is easily beat off the dribble and very susceptible to the backdoor cut. Even her three point shooting is hit or miss lately. She is a good communicator and I do like her effort....she just seems to be slightly out of her league.

Karo can play against undersized posts but players like Boston(SC), Brink(stanford), Reese (LSU), Carter (msst) she will struggle to play against both offensively and defensively. I feel like for the team, it is more important to bring hollingsheed along. She got the size, speed, and shooting to be a great player.

VN Store

Back