SEC refs

I know quite a few. They send me stuff year round. The hate for Tennessee is very real in bama. I’ll take their word over the opinion of a Florida guy

And I’ll take the word of every Bama fan I know and those I don’t know.

While they might hate Tennessee, they hate Auburn more…and it’s not close.

What say you @bamawriter ?

Reactions: VolDave53 and sona
And I’ll take the word of every Bama fan I know and those I don’t know.

While they might hate Tennessee, they hate Auburn more…and it’s not close.

What say you @bamawriter ?

Except for those of us who live in TN, the hate for Auburn is exponentially greater than the hate for Tennessee.

This is especially true for younger fans. There are no current high schoolers who can even remember Tennessee beating Alabama.

Reactions: Lawrence Wright
I think the calls not made have a bigger impact. Non calls like holding on end runs. Holding on d backs, the type of holding leaving the lof.
Yep. It has gotten so bad that if they called every hold on offense, the game would never end. Their big mistake was when they made it legal to grab the jersey of the defender as long s they did not grab outside the arms. To me, a hold is a hold regardless of where a defensive player s grabbed. The game has changed a lot in my 83 years.

Reactions: savannahfan
Except for those of us who live in TN, the hate for Auburn is exponentially greater than the hate for Tennessee.

This is especially true for younger fans. There are no current high schoolers who can even remember Tennessee beating Alabama.
Being 52 I don’t encounter many high school kids

But I guess that’s true of any fan base.
At 52 I hate Bama. 1st. Georgia 2nd because of the crossover fans and find Florida mildly annoying even though they have beaten us through the bad period. But who hasn’t. Hell I have more dislike for Kentucky and Vandy than Florida but I’m sure that’s not common among Vol fans.

Danth also thinks Alabama fans hate Auburn more than Tennessee, but sure…he’s wrong too. 😂
Again.
It varies from fan to fan and seems a pretty silly fight to have and even feel you’ve won.
But if you’re life is so sad that you need that victory…..congratulations, I guess

You should look through a few more articles instead of the very first thing that comes up in a google search. SEC officials that have any decent amount of experience make significantly more than that. I know someone who is a former SEC official and he did quite well officiating.
I didn’t see the number you provided?

It might be wiser to use refs from other conferences. PAC12 refs working SEC games, ACC refs working B1G or Big 10 games, Big Sky refs working Big 12 games, for example. No ties, or association, but still oversight to be sure none of them are involved in sports betting.
ACC screwed us in the Pitt game.

A lot of this section is about the 4th down call. I am much more upset about the touchdown that they took away. There was simply no excuse in reversing that touchdown except that the refs were biased (or paid). Vol players stripped the ball from their QB no more than 2 seconds after first contact. Normally they let the play go for 5 or 6 seconds before calling forward progress, and they BLOW THE WHISTLE. Since no one stopped playing or acted as though they heard a whistle, there apparently wasn't one. Further, if there is a whistle and some keep playing, they will blow the whistle multiple times, which obviously did not happen. This was a legitimate touchdown that the refs simply did not want UT to have. If they can fine UT for the fan action (which I basically agree with), they should do the right thing and fire the refs for that clearly very bad call, or at least levy a high fine on them. No excuse SEC, do the right thing.

Reactions: Bigorangedan23

I live in Bama and this is probably right. But I would say we are second to AU and it isn’t close, especially with the older fans that can remember the Fulmer ownage.

Anybody saying we are equal to all other teams in conference besides AU are wrong IMO.

I live in Bama and this is probably right. But I would say we are second to AU and it isn’t close, especially with the older fans that can remember the Fulmer ownage.

Anybody saying we are equal to all other teams in conference besides AU are wrong IMO.

That's totally true. There are some commenters that would say LSU is 2nd, but they care about Bama way more than Bama cares about them.

So let me get this straight, you think someone is going to risk their job because of an allegiance to Alabama and the fact that Kiffin once coached for Alabama and we beat him back in the 90's. Come on, give me a break. Utterly ridiculous. Is there a problem with officiating, of course, but it's not because of homers.

Well, they aren’t risking their jobs because there is no accountability or punishment for making poor decisions. Maybe they aren’t homers but something is NOT motivating them to correct errors or do the right thing. The debate is “what IS motivating them to not care about getting it right?”

Wait till Saturday......

Reactions: Volizona
I will say one thing semi in sympathy with referees. It can’t be easy working a profession that is pretty much disliked to the same level as lawyers and politicians. (Maybe even less so if that is possible)

Reactions: GoVolunteers
Officiating crew for Tennessee / Ole Miss game:

Referee – Marc Curles – Georgia Tech

Umpire – Brent Sowell – Alabama – played DT 1982-1985 on Bryant's last team

Linesman – Stephen Ray – Texas A&M alum

Line Judge – Chris Conway – Auburn alum, works in Montgomery

Back Judge – Matt Hollifield – Carson Newman

Field Judge – Wes Booker – Not sure

Side Judge – Eduardo Balbis – University of Florida

Center Judge - Chris Garner – The Ohio State University

A lot of alumnus on there from schools/fans that don't particularly like Tennessee.

Ohio State. That’s it! There’s the link to all of the bad calls. I need to watch the game film and watch his every move. Who let him in our stadium?

VN Store

Back