SEC policies for game postponement and cancellation

Thanks, Hoosier!

That is poorly written. It reads as if there is a minimum requirement for a team to play a game. Just the opposite, actually. These conditions establish the floor below which the team can elect NOT to play without having to forfeit the game.

A team can play with any number of available players. That's clearly true from reading the paragraph. So why call it a "minimum threshold...to participate"? No idea. Just bad English.

So what it really means.: If you have 53 scholarship players available, and they include 7 OL (at least one of those a center), 1 QB, and 4 DL or more, then you have to play the game. If you don't, you forfeit, it's a Loss in the book for you and a Win for the other team.

But if you have less than 53, or less than any of the position-specific requirements, it's your choice to play or ask for a reschedule. If the game can be rescheduled within the remaining open weeks for each team, it will be. if it can't, it is declared no-contest and neither team takes a W or L.

What that rule does not clarify is this: do injuries count? How about players sitting out, whether because of targeting penalties the week prior, or any other reason? Or is this just covid-19 availability? Not sure about that.

Also, the rule is not very clear on what happens if a team comes into a game with, say, 1 QB, and that QB is injured in the 1st quarter. Can the team then ask for a reschedule? Or does the game go on record no matter what happens once it has begun? I suspect the latter because of that one phrase, "to begin a game." But it's not totally clear.

Go Vols!

Last edited:
The SEC set forth the following rules for Bama

"In order to play, there must be 53 scholarship players to dress out. They must be able to dress out 1 QB, 7 OL, 4 DL, and 8 referees
At least the SEC has set the requirement. I have not seen that any other Conference has done anything.

Reactions: BP4Prez
At least the SEC has set the requirement. I have not seen that any other Conference has done anything.

The ACC did a couple of weeks ago. Their conditions are outlined in this article: ACC Guidelines for Postponement of Games, Cancellation of Season

p.s. That was a pretty good joke by Mojo that you may have missed. :)

I believe the Big 12 outlined theirs two weeks ago as well (Sept. 4 article):

Big 12 guidelines call for 53 players, 1 QB, 7 OL

Reactions: VFL-82-JP
We're gonna see a sh*t ton of postponed / cancelled / lost in the Bermuda Triangle games this season.

2nd wave has started in Europe. We're next.

VN Store

Back